Posted to alt.home.repair

Default titlted frost-free sillcock

Inspired by Trader, I'm again looking into a frost-free sillcock.

The text and video pages seem to make a big deal out of tilting the pipe
down 5 degrees as opposed to up 5 degrees. Up is not the alternative in
my case, it is level. All the pipes are already there and the pipe
that goes outside is level.

If I do nothing, the new sillcock will be level too. It seems to me
that if the pipe I.D. is 1/2 inch, a level pipe will drain until the
water level is no more than 1/8", 1/4 of the total diameter, and that
even if it freezes then, it will expand UP into the air space. And
that 1/8" of water, or even 3/16" with all that empty space above can't
possibly freeze in a way that breaks the pipe. Won't it just lift
itself up? Clower to the center of the pipe.

(I reed that water expands a bit more than 9% when cooling between 4^C
and 0^C.)

Maybe at the end of the pipe, where the valve is, surface tension will
keep the water level higher, but that will be 6" into my basement, where
the temp is always about 68^. Can water freeze inside when it's 68F
outside.

I don't see how I can raise the other pipes to tip the sillcock down as
it goes out of the house. IIRC, a floor joist is in the way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 06:25:42 -0500, micky
wrote:

[...]

Doesn't matter, level or tilted down. Tilted up and holding water is
the only real problem installation - or leaving a hose attached.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My frost-free silly cock is dripping

My frost-free silly cock is dripping.
Drip drip drip drip......
What should I do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/15/2014 01:52 AM, wrote:
My frost-free silly cock is dripping.
Drip drip drip drip......
What should I do?

A dripping cock is often the sign of a sexually transmitted disease.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 00:52:30 -0600, wrote:

My frost-free silly cock is dripping.
Drip drip drip drip......
What should I do?

Penicillin is often good for that.