Posted to alt.home.repair

Default steel dustpan to hep prevent distribution of soot and dirt

I was reading my furnace manual and I came across this. It says
for my upflow furnace, a Carrier 30 y.o. oil burner (no boiler), model
58HV085:

"Upflow models are equipped with steel dustpan to hep prevent
distribution of soot and dirt particles through the duct system. "

I though if soot was coming through the ducts, it mean there was a hole
in the firewall. If the fire is on the other side of the firewall, how
can soot be in the ducts? And what kind of dirt particles are they
talking about?

What would the "dustpan" look like or where would it be? I thought I
knew all the parts by now.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 03:56:45 -0700, micky wrote:

I was reading my furnace manual and I came across this. It says
for my upflow furnace, a Carrier 30 y.o. oil burner (no boiler), model
58HV085:

"Upflow models are equipped with steel dustpan to hep prevent
distribution of soot and dirt particles through the duct system. "

I though if soot was coming through the ducts, it mean there was a hole
in the firewall. If the fire is on the other side of the firewall, how
can soot be in the ducts? And what kind of dirt particles are they
talking about?

What would the "dustpan" look like or where would it be? I thought I
knew all the parts by now.

Thanks.

In our 'sealed' system soot and dark particles came into existence as dust
'burnt' on the hot walls. The stuff actually would streak a clean wall at
vents and required periodic cleaning.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMacy View Post
In our 'sealed' system soot and dark particles came into existence as dust
'burnt' on the hot walls. The stuff actually would streak a clean wall at
vents and required periodic cleaning.
I expect that's not soot from the furnace as micky is completely correct; furnaces have heat exchangers whereby the hot flue gas flows through steel tubes and the air being heated flows around those tubes (or vice versa) so the two gas streams don't mix. Any crack in that heat exchanger that allows mixing of those two gas streams requires replacement of the furnace for reasons I don't fully understand.

The stuff that's causing streaks on your walls is likely to be soot particles from cigarettes, burning candles or incense. These soot particles are so tiny that they can float in the air for days.

You'll also find that the most effective way of cleaning that soot off the walls is with a Magic Eraser.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 03:24:28 +0100, nestork
wrote:

RobertMacy;3177871 Wrote:

In our 'sealed' system soot and dark particles came into existence as
dust
'burnt' on the hot walls. The stuff actually would streak a clean wall
at
vents and required periodic cleaning.

I expect that's not soot from the furnace as micky is completely
correct; furnaces have heat exchangers whereby the hot flue gas flows
through steel tubes and the air being heated flows around those tubes
(or vice versa) so the two gas streams don't mix. Any crack in that
heat exchanger that allows mixing of those two gas streams requires
replacement of the furnace for reasons I don't fully understand.

I may be right, but surely the Carrier Corporation which actually makes
furnaces is right too when they say "Upflow models are equipped with
steel dustpan to hep prevent distribution of soot and dirt particles
through the duct system. " Don't Carrier and I contradict each other?
If so, what is the chance that I'm right?

Their words must mean that without the steel dustpan soot gets sent
through the duct system, and "help prevent" is the way it's normally
phrased when whatever they're bragging about is not enough to stop
something entirely. And they don't even exclude new furnaces, or say
some part should be replaced when the soot starts going through the
ducts.

It also says a few lines earlier, "No-drip nozzle adapter provides
positive fuel cutout to prevent fuel odor and soot problems in the
house." No mention of ducts here, but still. Are they only
referring to combustion gases escaping through the observation port or
the barometric damper? Or do they have the ducts in mind?

The stuff that's causing streaks on your walls is likely to be soot
particles from cigarettes, burning candles or incense. These soot
particles are so tiny that they can float in the air for days.

You'll also find that the most effective way of cleaning that soot off
the walls is with a Magic Eraser.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 6, 2014 10:21:24 AM UTC-5, Robert Macy wrote:
In our 'sealed' system soot and dark particles came into existence as dust

'burnt' on the hot walls. The stuff actually would streak a clean wall at

vents and required periodic cleaning.

Any source of consistent air currents will eventually stain a wall. I've seen dark streaks abouve light bulbs, where convection currents from the bulb caused air movements that deposited the dirt.

In a house that burns a lot of Yankee candles or smokers it's much worse, but even without it air blowing on a surface or into a return vent will do it.

What is the yellow coating you put on steel to prevent it rsutingin storage? Nightjar UK diy 26 March 13th 11 05:29 PM
soot, ducts closed? [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 3rd 10 10:11 PM
Soot on Ceiling Larry Weil Home Repair 15 May 18th 10 03:13 PM
Soot on carpet Mitch UK diy 1 September 23rd 07 02:56 AM
Aga - soot on inside of hotplate lid? Philip K UK diy 4 May 22nd 07 09:47 PM