Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is the yellow coating you put on steel to prevent it rsutingin storage?

I have a need to store some injection moulding tools, probably for a few
years. I want to coat them in the waxy / oily yellow preservative dip /
spray / brush coating that peels off when no longer required, often
found on quality tools when new. Unfortunately, I can't remember the
name, it doesn't appear in any catalogues I have and I can't find the
right Google search term. Can anyone help?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 02:15:08 +0000, "Nightjar wrote:

I have a need to store some injection moulding tools, probably for a few
years. I want to coat them in the waxy / oily yellow preservative dip /
spray / brush coating that peels off when no longer required, often
found on quality tools when new.

Conformal coating? At least that's the similar stuff used on
electronics to keep the damp out, might lead you to better search
terms.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2011 07:36, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 02:15:08 +0000, "Nightjar wrote:

I have a need to store some injection moulding tools, probably for a few
years. I want to coat them in the waxy / oily yellow preservative dip /
spray / brush coating that peels off when no longer required, often
found on quality tools when new.

Conformal coating? At least that's the similar stuff used on
electronics to keep the damp out, might lead you to better search
terms.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that only seems to throw up permaanent
coatings to protect electronics. The stuff I want is intended to be
removed when the tool is taken out of storage.

So far, I have tried various combinations of mothballing, protective,
preservative, waxy, steel, iron and tools. I have found details on
mothballing of steelworks and a tool preservation society, but nothing
that matches my need. I may have to end up wrapping them in thick
plastic with sheets of rust inhibiting paper, but that is a second best
choice.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere says...
Thanks for the suggestion, but that only seems to throw up permaanent
coatings to protect electronics. The stuff I want is intended to be
removed when the tool is taken out of storage.

Well, you could give them a spray of oil then dip them in PlastiDip -
that'd come of easily enough afterwards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 8, 2:15 am, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
I have a need to store some injection moulding tools, probably for a few
years. I want to coat them in the waxy / oily yellow preservative dip /
spray / brush coating that peels off when no longer required, often
found on quality tools when new. Unfortunately, I can't remember the
name, it doesn't appear in any catalogues I have and I can't find the
right Google search term. Can anyone help?

Colin Bignell

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...coating+pee l

any use?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2011 08:08, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
[...]

Hi Colin

Something like this ?

http://www.strippablecoating.com/pro...tect_5000.aspx

Seem that
"Metal Protective Strippable Coatings"
is the thing to Google for.....

Hope this helps
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2011 08:13, Skipweasel wrote:
In articleFZGdnbawhIKceejQnZ2dnUVZ8rWdnZ2d@giganews. com, "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@""insertmysurnamehere says...
Thanks for the suggestion, but that only seems to throw up permaanent
coatings to protect electronics. The stuff I want is intended to be
removed when the tool is taken out of storage.

Well, you could give them a spray of oil then dip them in PlastiDip -
that'd come of easily enough afterwards.

Have you actually done this? The PlastiDip data sheet says that the
surfaces must be fre of oil and grease, so I would need to know that it
works. I would also need to apply it by spray as they are too heavy to
lift into a dipping tank.

These moulding tools are for making parts I had huge stocks of when I
bought the business about five years ago. I probably have enough for at
least as long again. The moulder wants the space and has asked me to
take them away. My idea is to ask them to mount the tools on small
pallets, so that I can move them with a pallet truck. I could lift one
side at a time with a jack to coat underneath, but I have no way to lift
the entire tool.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/11 02:15, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I have a need to store some injection moulding tools, probably for a few
years. I want to coat them in the waxy / oily yellow preservative dip /
spray / brush coating that peels off when no longer required, often
found on quality tools when new. Unfortunately, I can't remember the
name, it doesn't appear in any catalogues I have and I can't find the
right Google search term. Can anyone help?

Colin Bignell

Does this help?

http://www.thomasnet.com/products/co...5730864-1.html

I searched for corrosion protection for cutting tools - the key
appearing to be mentioning cutting tools. These coatings are designed to
protect the cutting edge from mechanical damage (eg in transport and
rummaging in tool draws).

Cheers
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2011 08:15, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

Thanks Adrian. That seems to be the search term. It has given me a UK
based company as well.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 08:27:55 +0000, "Nightjar wrote:

I could lift one side at a time with a jack to coat underneath, but I
have no way to lift the entire tool.

Depending on the shape I suspect that a dip would be better than
spraying particularly is access is difficult. As these are obviously
heavy things I assume they have some form of lifting eye to get them
fitted into the moulding machine. Would hiring an engine lifting rig
allow you to pick 'em up and dunk 'em? Then transfer to some sort of
suitable support to hang 'em from until the coating dries, otherwise
you'll have a weak/bare bit of coating where they rest on something.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2011 08:14, Jim K wrote:
On Mar 8, 2:15 am, "Nightjar\"cpb\"@""insertmysurnamehere wrote:
I have a need to store some injection moulding tools, probably for a few
years. I want to coat them in the waxy / oily yellow preservative dip /
spray / brush coating that peels off when no longer required, often
found on quality tools when new. Unfortunately, I can't remember the
name, it doesn't appear in any catalogues I have and I can't find the
right Google search term. Can anyone help?

Colin Bignell

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...coating+pee l

any use?

Thanks. That leads to the name I now remember - SafeGuard Peelcoat.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2011 08:38, Andy Webber wrote:
[...]

Thanks to you too. I knew that teamwork was the answer to my problem.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
Well, you could give them a spray of oil then dip them in PlastiDip -
that'd come of easily enough afterwards.

Ah - this is the stuff...

http://www.dipseal.com/

That's the stuff that nice router bits come covered in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 8, 8:47*am, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
[...]

Ah, that sounds like good management - get someone to do it
voluntarily for you and for nothing !! :) Well done.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 8, 9:32 am, robgraham wrote:
[...]

we all expect a return....

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2011 08:39, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 08:27:55 +0000, "Nightjar wrote:

I could lift one side at a time with a jack to coat underneath, but I
have no way to lift the entire tool.

Depending on the shape I suspect that a dip would be better than
spraying particularly is access is difficult. As these are obviously
heavy things I assume they have some form of lifting eye to get them
fitted into the moulding machine. Would hiring an engine lifting rig
allow you to pick 'em up and dunk 'em? Then transfer to some sort of
suitable support to hang 'em from until the coating dries, otherwise
you'll have a weak/bare bit of coating where they rest on something.

I've yet to get details of weight and size but, from the cavity size,
they have to fit a large machine and I am assuming the tools will weight
a few hundred kilos each. They are going to have to live in the storage
extension at the back of my garage and, since I wrote the above, I have
been thinking about adding a beam supported on wall piers that can take
a ratchet chain hoist. Obviously, I need to know actual weights before I
can work out the sizing. I knew I would regret selling the fork lift truck.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 8, 12:05*pm, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
[...]

a dehumidifier not an option?
When tools are shipped, mineral oil is the usual option.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2011 14:32, Tabby wrote:
[...]

When it rains heavily water runs under the door. I've had to put on
Wellington boots just to wade to the car before now. The extension has
the floor raised by 120mm, to keep it from flooding, but it will still
be damp in there.

When tools are shipped, mineral oil is the usual option.

I'm looking to preserve them for at least five years in storage.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 02:15:08 +0000, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I have a need to store some injection moulding tools, probably for a few
years. I want to coat them in the waxy / oily yellow preservative dip /
spray / brush coating that peels off when no longer required, often
found on quality tools when new. Unfortunately, I can't remember the
name, it doesn't appear in any catalogues I have and I can't find the
right Google search term. Can anyone help?

If you'd posted to uk.rec.models.engineering* you'd have had an answer
in a few minutes...but maybe not at 2am in the morning.

* despite the title it's bugger all to do with model engineering!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'd be worried about the given storage conditions for the term you're
talking about. Unless you manage to do a perfect job with the conformal
coating, moisture and oxygen *will* get in. The results won't
necessarily show until you remove the coating, either, by which time,
it'll be too late.

Might it not be worth hiring a space at one of the (dry) self storage
places? Then let their insurance worry about the replacement cost if the
damp does get in?

Maybe you need to look at something like a grease/ oil coating, and
build a moisture controlled area round them, to permit easy examination
and rectification of any problems before they get too bad. From what
I've seen, that's the way the military mothball such stuff, sometimes
for decades.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2011 22:12, John Williamson wrote:
[...]

The business does not need the extra overhead - it is really only
something to keep me occupied a couple of days a week in retirement.

Maybe you need to look at something like a grease/ oil coating, and
build a moisture controlled area round them, to permit easy examination
and rectification of any problems before they get too bad. From what
I've seen, that's the way the military mothball such stuff, sometimes
for decades.

After applying the coating, the plan is to wrap them in 1200 gauge
polyethylene sheet, sealed with aluminium tape, with a few sheets of
rust inhibiting paper enclosed.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" writes

I have a need to store some injection moulding tools,

Do you have injection moulding facilities?

I might have a job if so

You can take it to email

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2011 23:52, geoff wrote:
In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" writes

I have a need to store some injection moulding tools,

Do you have injection moulding facilities?

No. I outsource all moulding work. It is just that the moulder wants the
space these are taking up, which is fair enough as they have not been
used in five years to my knowledge and probably longer. I get the
impression they are reducing the factory space they have, which suggests
it might not be a bad idea for me to have the tools anyway.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 23:26:13 +0000, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere
wrote:

After applying the coating, the plan is to wrap them in 1200 gauge
polyethylene sheet, sealed with aluminium tape, with a few sheets of
rust inhibiting paper enclosed.

Maybe a pound of silica gel, too.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2011 09:32, robgraham wrote:
[...]

It's also known as crowdsourcing
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdsourcing) and is often used on
Twitter (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23lazyweb - lazyweb hashtag)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

After applying the coating, the plan is to wrap them in 1200 gauge
polyethylene sheet, sealed with aluminium tape, with a few sheets of
rust inhibiting paper enclosed.

Maybe a pound of silica gel, too.

Thomas Prufer

Not a bad idea, although probably better to put that in a second, outer,
layer of plastic, so that it can be taken out and reactivated from time
to time without disturbing anything else. Thanks for the suggestion.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere saying something like:

I have a need to store some injection moulding tools, probably for a few
years. I want to coat them in the waxy / oily yellow preservative dip /
spray / brush coating that peels off when no longer required, often
found on quality tools when new. Unfortunately, I can't remember the
name, it doesn't appear in any catalogues I have and I can't find the
right Google search term. Can anyone help?

I know exactly the stuff you mean and never really found out what it
was, for sure. Otoh, I'm fairly sure Shell sell drums of something
similar.
Many times I've found machine tools and smaller items covered in what
seemed to be Waxoyl, which just solvent washes off.