Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Admiral refrigerator lesson

Got a call to fix Admiral side by side, maybe
twenty or thirty years old. Not defrosting.
The fellow had the heater and termination
stat replaced a couple years ago, so it's a
known issue.

The unit had the old "flex tray" ice maker.
I mentioned this. He had not used it in years.
I offered to take it out. After all, I'd
taken out GE and Whirlpool ice makers, to free
up some more space.

He called back a couple hours later. had finished
cleaning the unit, and plugged it back in. Did
not run. I went back, and find that I had to
replace both the flex tray and also the motor
that drives the ice auger, to get the refrig to
come back on. Strange wiring, I guess.

As the gentleman commented "no good deed goes
unpunished".

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 09:30 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
wn issue.

The unit had the old "flex tray" ice maker.
I mentioned this. He had not used it in years.
I offered to take it out. After all, I'd
taken out GE and Whirlpool ice makers, to free
up some more space.

He called back a couple hours later. had finished
cleaning the unit, and plugged it back in. Did
not run. I went back, and find that I had to
replace both the flex tray and also the motor
that drives the ice auger, to get the refrig to
come back on. Strange wiring, I guess.

As the gentleman commented "no good deed goes
unpunished".

How could you have left without testing it?

I always give things a test run after I complete a repair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 10:34 AM, philo wrote:

How could you have left without testing it?

I always give things a test run after I complete a repair.

I've been working on this kind of thing for
15 plus years, and this is a first to me.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Got a call to fix Admiral side by side, maybe
twenty or thirty years old. Not defrosting.
The fellow had the heater and termination
stat replaced a couple years ago, so it's a
known issue.

The unit had the old "flex tray" ice maker.
I mentioned this. He had not used it in years.
I offered to take it out. After all, I'd
taken out GE and Whirlpool ice makers, to free
up some more space.

He called back a couple hours later. had finished
cleaning the unit, and plugged it back in. Did
not run. I went back, and find that I had to
replace both the flex tray and also the motor
that drives the ice auger, to get the refrig to
come back on. Strange wiring, I guess.

Not exactly the same thing, but a wiring "issue" just the same...

My fridge is wired such that the switch that turns the light on when the
freezer door is opened also turns off the ice maker motor. This is done to
prevent the ice from dumping onto the bottom of the freezer if the user has
pulled the ice tray out.

Granted, it turns the ice maker off more often than necessary, but wiring
it like that was probably easier (and cheaper) than adding a switch
dedicated to the ice cube tray.

You just have to keep it in mind when testing the ice maker. You could
spend all day with the door open waiting for the ice to dump and it won't
ever happen unless you depress the light switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 11:00 AM, philo wrote:

I've been working on this kind of thing for
15 plus years, and this is a first to me.

Live and learn.

And post to AHR, to share the wisdom.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 03:30 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/31/2013 11:00 AM, philo wrote:

I've been working on this kind of thing for
15 plus years, and this is a first to me.

Live and learn.

And post to AHR, to share the wisdom.

Whenever I post all I seem to share is stupidity though G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 12:12 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Not exactly the same thing, but a wiring "issue" just the same...

My fridge is wired such that the switch that turns the light on when the
freezer door is opened also turns off the ice maker motor. This is done to
prevent the ice from dumping onto the bottom of the freezer if the user has
pulled the ice tray out.

Granted, it turns the ice maker off more often than necessary, but wiring
it like that was probably easier (and cheaper) than adding a switch
dedicated to the ice cube tray.

You just have to keep it in mind when testing the ice maker. You could
spend all day with the door open waiting for the ice to dump and it won't
ever happen unless you depress the light switch.

The old expression "a watched pot never boils"
comes to mind. Yes, that door switch could really
make you wonder what's doing. Thanks for mention
it, I'd not considered that.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 6:46 PM, philo wrote:
Live and learn.

And post to AHR, to share the wisdom.

Whenever I post all I seem to share is stupidity though G

Those Homer Simpson "DOH" moments are the ones
which are most easily remembered.

Eventually, I will have a home repair where
everything goes well, and then I'll forget to
post to AHR.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2013 5:46 PM, philo wrote:
On 12/31/2013 03:30 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/31/2013 11:00 AM, philo wrote:

I've been working on this kind of thing for
15 plus years, and this is a first to me.

Live and learn.

And post to AHR, to share the wisdom.

Whenever I post all I seem to share is stupidity though G

My friend, you are definitely not stupid and I won't let anyone tell you
that and get away with it. ^_^

TDD

Admiral 23 or 25" TV 15-18 Years Old harryhomer Electronics Repair 3 September 26th 09 04:22 AM
Admiral dryer question [email protected] Home Repair 1 July 3rd 07 01:33 PM
Admiral [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 1st 06 04:14 AM
Admiral AC resets surf Home Repair 4 June 27th 06 12:33 AM
Admiral GOJ12339 Jonesy82 Electronics Repair 0 May 26th 05 12:38 AM