Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Glass lenses

Well my Google Foo failed me today.

Fella at work drug in 2 old railroad lights he bought on Ebay. I think
they may have been to tell whether the track switch was thrown. I don't
think they originally had a light inside, but I am rigging a single bulb
socket in them for electrification. The glass lenses he was given/sold
are NOT the right size and it will be cluster xxx to use them. The OD
of the lens holder is 5 1/4", 5" might work.

I have entered all kinds of things in Google and get lots of eyeglasses.
Trailer and car sites show round lenses, but I've not found any that
tell me sizes. Glass would be best. Each light needs 4 lenses - 2 red
and 2 green (the colors are a guess, but that is what he was given). I
suggested a modification to the sheet metal to use the lenses he has,
but he doesn't want to modify the original Atchison Topeka and SF units.

If anyone has any sources or info it would be appreciated.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/13, 5:45 PM, DanG wrote:
[...]

First, I know little if anything about trains and/or railroad signaling
equipment.

However, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out they use
'Fresnel' type lenses for a lot of that stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens

Not much, I know, but might be an additional search term to try.

Good Luck!

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/13, 5:45 PM, DanG wrote:
[...]

Oh... meant to mention in my last post.

The country is peppered with railroad museums... 5 or 6 years ago I went
with a friend to a big one out at Perris CA.

They had buildings full of old parts/components of every description...
complete with scores of friendly volunteers and train buffs who would
answer questions and talk train all day if you let them.

Maybe find a local one, visit or write... I'm reasonably sure someone
could at one of them could get you going.

Now that I think about it, the Perris museum had a section devoted to
signals and the like... but I didn't go look.

Again good luck!

Erik

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
[...]

First google hit was to ebay. First lens at ebay is a 5 1/6" Red fresnel.
Lots of other round railroad lenses were shown. For those that don't give
sizes, just query the seller.

This site also looks interesting:

http://www.generalsignals.com/railro...nal_lenses.htm

I quote:
"
Wayside Signals

General Signals maintains the most complete line of wayside signal lenses
in the country. Inner and outer doublets are made of lexan, glass, and
plexiglas. All standard sizes are available including dwarf, inverted color
lights, and semaphore lenses."

Lenses for railroad lights
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

Dunno, but if he's interested in one of those track switching thingies. I
have one I'm willing to part with. Extremely heavy item, I've been using
for a lawn decoration.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2013 10:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
DanG wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the General Signal reference. I will send them a picture and
query.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

X35 zoom and 18-200 mm lenses john MacArthur[_2_] UK diy 3 February 4th 11 10:36 PM
OT-ish: cleaning binoculars lenses Another John UK diy 32 September 30th 10 11:04 PM
Auto Iris lenses Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 1 October 14th 09 02:13 AM
Kitchen light lenses drb Home Repair 5 November 24th 08 02:07 PM
Sony lenses, fred-dot-mau, where are you ? JURB6006 Electronics Repair 0 January 22nd 05 12:29 AM