Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Glass lenses

On 12/19/13, 5:45 PM, DanG wrote:
Well my Google Foo failed me today.

Fella at work drug in 2 old railroad lights he bought on Ebay. I think
they may have been to tell whether the track switch was thrown. I don't
think they originally had a light inside, but I am rigging a single bulb
socket in them for electrification. The glass lenses he was given/sold
are NOT the right size and it will be cluster xxx to use them. The OD
of the lens holder is 5 1/4", 5" might work.

I have entered all kinds of things in Google and get lots of eyeglasses.
Trailer and car sites show round lenses, but I've not found any that
tell me sizes. Glass would be best. Each light needs 4 lenses - 2 red
and 2 green (the colors are a guess, but that is what he was given). I
suggested a modification to the sheet metal to use the lenses he has,
but he doesn't want to modify the original Atchison Topeka and SF units.

If anyone has any sources or info it would be appreciated.

Oh... meant to mention in my last post.

The country is peppered with railroad museums... 5 or 6 years ago I went
with a friend to a big one out at Perris CA.

They had buildings full of old parts/components of every description...
complete with scores of friendly volunteers and train buffs who would
answer questions and talk train all day if you let them.

Maybe find a local one, visit or write... I'm reasonably sure someone
could at one of them could get you going.

Now that I think about it, the Perris museum had a section devoted to
signals and the like... but I didn't go look.

Again good luck!

Erik