Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove hinge in Kraftmaid cabinet door?

I have recently remodeled kitchen with Kraftmaid cabinets and all the
doors have three concealed self-closing hinges. I need to replace one
of the doors due to a blemish. Kraftmaid sent me to replacement door
and I see it already has the round cutouts for the hinges as well as
the screw holes pre-drilled.

OK - that's great. So I remove the two door side screws from each
hing and (what!) I can't seen to release/remove the hinge from the
door. OK - before I break something I put the screws back in and
look/ask for help.

I have yet to find anything difinitive on the web so I thought I would
ask here.

Any DIY'ers/carpenters out there who are familiar with these types of
hinges and how one goes about releasing/removing them from the old
door and any tricks to mounting them in the new?

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

ps: I did visit Kraftmaids support site with no applicable results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Such hinges are usually a fairly tight fit in the holes in the doors.
Can you get something in between the hinge and the surface of the door
and lever the hinge out gently -- maybe a plastic paint scraper or a
wooden shim. And maybe stick a small enough screwdriver at an angle
through each screw hole in turn and pull the hinge out

Perce

On 12/14/13 11:30 am, BobMCT wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobMCT wrote:
[...]

From your description I think what you have are what I call euro hinges .
It has a 35 mm hole partway thru the door with screw holes just above and
below . Pull the screws , slip a knife blade or very thin screwdriver
between the hinge and door and they should pop out . Might also be a
paint/varnish bond workin' here . Might help to loosen the vert adjustment
screws , if they're misadjusted they can put enough bind on the hinges to
make removal difficult . If the screw holes in your new door are 5mm ~1/4"
diameter , you'll need plastic inserts for them . Might be able to pop the
old ones out of the old door , might not .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Snag wrote:
BobMCT wrote:
[...]

From your description I think what you have are what I call euro
hinges . It has a 35 mm hole partway thru the door with screw holes
just above and below . Pull the screws , slip a knife blade or very
thin screwdriver between the hinge and door and they should pop out .
Might also be a paint/varnish bond workin' here . Might help to
loosen the vert adjustment screws , if they're misadjusted they can
put enough bind on the hinges to make removal difficult . If the
screw holes in your new door are 5mm ~1/4" diameter , you'll need
plastic inserts for them . Might be able to pop the old ones out of
the old door , might not .

Additional info --- Feel at the back end of the mount plate on the cabinet
, there is often a little tab you can push on that will release the door
part of the hinge from the base plate .
--

Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 13:56:23 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

Snag wrote:
BobMCT wrote:
[...]

From your description I think what you have are what I call euro
hinges . It has a 35 mm hole partway thru the door with screw holes
just above and below . Pull the screws , slip a knife blade or very
thin screwdriver between the hinge and door and they should pop out .
Might also be a paint/varnish bond workin' here . Might help to
loosen the vert adjustment screws , if they're misadjusted they can
put enough bind on the hinges to make removal difficult . If the
screw holes in your new door are 5mm ~1/4" diameter , you'll need
plastic inserts for them . Might be able to pop the old ones out of
the old door , might not .

Additional info --- Feel at the back end of the mount plate on the cabinet
, there is often a little tab you can push on that will release the door
part of the hinge from the base plate .

.... looked for hinge images and that was my thoughts exactly. Looks
like this - if the same hinge type the OP is speaking of.

http://www.fellingproducts.com/images/euro_hinge.png

Slide the door away when the tab is worked