Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpeting Complications

We had new carpet installed last week. One of the major complications was that we had to unhook all the home entertainment devices and move them out before the installation; TV, cable box, X-Box, Blu-Ray, old VSH player, etc. Before unplugging, I took a picture of how the wires were hooked to the back of each device with my wife's iPad. It made re-assembly much easier.

I'm going to do dis-assembly pictures on any complicated repair from now on..

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 4:00:38 PM UTC-6, Pavel314 wrote:
We had new carpet installed last week. One of the major complications was that we had to unhook all the home entertainment devices and move them out before the installation; TV, cable box, X-Box, Blu-Ray, old VSH player, etc. Before unplugging, I took a picture of how the wires were hooked to the back of each device with my wife's iPad. It made re-assembly much easier. I'm going to do dis-assembly pictures on any complicated repair from now on. Paul

Now that photos are essentailly free, that is definitely the way to go with anything that is to be disassembled and then reassembled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
We had new carpet installed last week. One of the major complications was that we had to unhook all the home entertainment devices and move them out before the installation; TV, cable box, X-Box, Blu-Ray, old VSH player, etc. Before unplugging, I took a picture of how the wires were hooked to the back of each device with my wife's iPad. It made re-assembly much easier.

I'm going to do dis-assembly pictures on any complicated repair from now on.

Paul

Hi,
One atta boy! for you?
That is very good idea specially if you don't understand things around
all those stuffs. For myself, I don't have to take pictures. But when
I was kid my dad used to tell me, you can take apart any thing but make
sure you know how to put it back. Draw picture on a piece of paper B4
you start.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
We had new carpet installed last week. One of the major complications was
that we had to unhook all the home entertainment devices and move them
out before the installation; TV, cable box, X-Box, Blu-Ray, old VSH
player, etc. Before unplugging, I took a picture of how the wires were
hooked to the back of each device with my wife's iPad. It made re-assembly much easier.

I'm going to do dis-assembly pictures on any complicated repair from now on.

Paul

While a picture is a good idea, labeling the cables works pretty well too.
No worries of a cable hiding behind another in the picture, etc.

Labeling can be as simple as masking tape and a Sharpie or as fancy as
this...

http://www.ncusa.com/labeling/images/whitecable.JPG

For example, I have 5 inputs into my surround system and 5 speaker outputs.
All of the wires are labeled making it very easy to move stuff around when
I have to.

Of course, only certain things can be labeled, so you're idea of
pre-disassembly pictures is a great one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2013 10:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

While a picture is a good idea, labeling the cables works pretty well too.
No worries of a cable hiding behind another in the picture, etc.

Labeling can be as simple as masking tape and a Sharpie or as fancy as
this...

http://www.ncusa.com/labeling/images/whitecable.JPG

For example, I have 5 inputs into my surround system and 5 speaker outputs.
All of the wires are labeled making it very easy to move stuff around when
I have to.

Of course, only certain things can be labeled, so you're idea of
pre-disassembly pictures is a great one.

About 6 years ago we moved our factory. Sixteen machines along with all
sort of support stuff like hydraulic and vacuum systems. We spent many
hours marking wires, cables, machine legs, and anything else that came
apart. Sure made it easier putting it back together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

I spent fist half of my career in military comm.(wired and wireless) in
C&I and M&O. Second half in main frame systems, zillions of cables of
all sorts to deal with. Labeling and color coding was way of daily life.
Also I know how to lace/stitch cable bundles, race them on racks and
ducts, etc. per mil-spec.
Senior Member

I use "flag ties" to label wires:

http://www.nelcoproducts.com/image/d...k_Flag_001.jpg

They're cheap and effective at identifying cables and wires.

I make good use of my computer in my business. Whenever I do anything on a washing machine or dryer, I start a file in my computer describing the process. For example, replacing the evaporator fan in one of my frost free fridges. Then, the next time I have to do the same thing in another fridge, I print off the file and edit it with a red pen so that I improve it for the next time I have to do that same procedure. Most of the stuff I do, I do so rarely that I forget how to do it by the time I need to do it again. Making a computer file explaining how to do it eliminates that problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:00:38 PM UTC-5, Pavel314 wrote:
We had new carpet installed last week. One of the major complications was that we had to unhook all the home entertainment devices and move them out before the installation; TV, cable box, X-Box, Blu-Ray, old VSH player, etc. Before unplugging, I took a picture of how the wires were hooked to the back of each device with my wife's iPad. It made re-assembly much easier.

I'm going to do dis-assembly pictures on any complicated repair from now on.

Paul

I've been doing that for a while now. Most of the time I don't need them but occasionally they have saved me a bit of time figuring out something I didn't expect to need to know on re-assembly. Like discovering a part that fits two ways but is not symetrical and is only meant to attach one of those ways.