Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Noisy water valve

In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house. Whenever we
run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the washingmachine, the
valve makes a loud pumping noise (whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) that is audible
inside the house.

What causes this? Is it a defective valve? Can it be fixed?

Thanks for any help.

--
VidBex
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 16:53:26 +0000 (UTC), VidBex
wrote:

In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house. Whenever we
run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the washingmachine, the
valve makes a loud pumping noise (whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) that is audible
inside the house.

What causes this? Is it a defective valve? Can it be fixed?

Thanks for any help.

You may be better replies by posting the brand name of the valve and
any information on the valve.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidBex View Post
In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house. Whenever we
run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the washingmachine, the
valve makes a loud pumping noise (whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) that is audible
inside the house.

What causes this? Is it a defective valve? Can it be fixed?

Thanks for any help.

--
VidBex
If it's a globe valve, I would say that the problem is that the screw holding the disk in place is loose and the disk is moving back and forth on the screw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house. Whenever we
run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the washingmachine, the
valve makes a loud pumping noise (whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) that is audible
inside the house.

What causes this? Is it a defective valve? Can it be fixed?

Thanks for any help.

You may be better replies by posting the brand name of the valve and
any information on the valve.

and whether city water or well water.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house.
Whenever we run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the
washingmachine, the valve makes a loud pumping noise
(whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) trimmed

You may be better replies by posting the brand name of the valve and
any information on the valve.

It is a WATTS Regulator/A.S.S.E. 1003/ N35B/Size 3/4/ Model DV/ Set: STD.
??/ Range 25-75/ Max. 400 PSI-180 F. The regulator is situatated about 8"
above the water intake valve for the house.

--
VidBex

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
news
wrote:

In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house.
Whenever we run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the
washingmachine, the valve makes a loud pumping noise
(whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) trimmed

You may be better replies by posting the brand name of the valve and
any information on the valve.

It is a WATTS Regular. Specs. are A.S.S.E 1003/N35B/ SIZE: 3/4 /MODEL:
DV/SET: STD. ??/ RANGE 25-75/ Max. 400 PSI-180 F.

--
VidBex
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2013 11:53 AM, VidBex wrote:
In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house. Whenever we
run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the washingmachine, the
valve makes a loud pumping noise (whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) that is audible
inside the house.

What causes this? Is it a defective valve? Can it be fixed?

Thanks for any help.

Sometimes the interior washer gets worn and can make loud sounds like
that. Can't say for sure not knowing if it is a globe valve ball valve
or gate valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house.

Whenever we run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the

washingmachine, the valve makes a loud pumping noise

(whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) trimmed

You may be better replies by posting the brand name of the valve and

any information on the valve.

It is a WATTS Regulator/A.S.S.E. 1003/ N35B/Size 3/4/ Model DV/ Set: STD.

??/ Range 25-75/ Max. 400 PSI-180 F. The regulator is situatated about 8"

above the water intake valve for the house.

--

VidBex

So it's the pressure regulator that making the noise? Not a open/close valve?

I'd guess it's cycling to adjust the pressure. If it's a new noise then maybe you should look for a rebuild kit for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 11/7/2013 11:53 AM, VidBex wrote:
In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house.
Whenever we run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the
washingmachine, the valve makes a loud pumping noise
(whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) trimmed

Sometimes the interior washer gets worn and can make loud sounds like
that. Can't say for sure not knowing if it is a globe valve ball
valve or gate valve.

Here is a webpage for the regulator:
http://www.flwleightonstone.com/watts/regn35b.html

--
VidBex

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 18:43:29 +0000 (UTC), VidBex
wrote:

Oren wrote in
news
wrote:

In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house.
Whenever we run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the
washingmachine, the valve makes a loud pumping noise
(whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) that is audible inside the house.

What causes this? Is it a defective valve? Can it be fixed?

Thanks for any help.

You may be better replies by posting the brand name of the valve and
any information on the valve.

It is a WATTS Regular. Specs. are A.S.S.E 1003/N35B/ SIZE: 3/4 /MODEL:
DV/SET: STD. ??/ RANGE 25-75/ Max. 400 PSI-180 F.

Checked Watts got this

N35B

Water Pressure Reducing Valves

Sizes: 1/2 to 1 in. (15 to 25mm)

OBSOLETE PRODUCT

Replacement Product: N/A

Looks there are still repair kits from them.

Repair Kit N35B-RK 3/4" 0006849 diaphragm, O-ring (3) , bypass ball
and disc

Repair Kit N35B-S-RK 3/4" 0006804 O-ring (2), seat

http://www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=5251

BTW, has there been any repairs on the main water lines by your water
utility. The valve may have sand or a pebble stuff inside...

Turn off the water (main street) supply, before attempts to work on
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

VidBex wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 11/7/2013 11:53 AM, VidBex wrote:
In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house.
Whenever we run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the
washingmachine, the valve makes a loud pumping noise
(whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) trimmed

Sometimes the interior washer gets worn and can make loud sounds like
that. Can't say for sure not knowing if it is a globe valve ball
valve or gate valve.

Here is a webpage for the regulator:
http://www.flwleightonstone.com/watts/regn35b.html

The Watts website says that the N35B is a discontinued model.

Seems like just switching out the existing valve with a new one would be the
easiest option.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" writes:
VidBex wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 11/7/2013 11:53 AM, VidBex wrote:
In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house.
Whenever we run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the
washingmachine, the valve makes a loud pumping noise
(whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) trimmed

Sometimes the interior washer gets worn and can make loud sounds like
that. Can't say for sure not knowing if it is a globe valve ball
valve or gate valve.

Here is a webpage for the regulator:
http://www.flwleightonstone.com/watts/regn35b.html

The Watts website says that the N35B is a discontinued model.

Seems like just switching out the existing valve with a new one would be the
easiest option.

The valve has a removable stainless steel screen internally. I suspect that
either sediment has blocked part of the screen, or it has grown some
scale from hard water. With the supply turned off, remove the screen (from the
bottom of the valve), clean it and replace it. Carefully. The scale can
be removed by soaking in vinegar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2013 11:53 AM, VidBex wrote:
In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house.
Whenever we run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the
washingmachine, the valve makes a loud pumping noise
(whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) trimmed

Sometimes the interior washer gets worn and can make loud sounds like
that. Can't say for sure not knowing if it is a globe valve ball
valve or gate valve.

Here is a webpage for the regulator:
http://www.flwleightonstone.com/watts/regn35b.html

*Here's a link to the customer service page with email and phone number.
This unit has replaceable parts without removing the regulator. They
probably have a repair kit available.

http://www.flwleightonstone.com/about.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2013 1:54 PM, VidBex wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 11/7/2013 11:53 AM, VidBex wrote:
In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house.
Whenever we run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the
washingmachine, the valve makes a loud pumping noise
(whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) trimmed

Sometimes the interior washer gets worn and can make loud sounds like
that. Can't say for sure not knowing if it is a globe valve ball
valve or gate valve.

Here is a webpage for the regulator:
http://www.flwleightonstone.com/watts/regn35b.html

OK, this is easy then. If you don't know the difference between a valve
and regulator, it is best to call a plumber. They are fairly cheap and
esily replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 14:14:48 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

Here is a webpage for the regulator:
http://www.flwleightonstone.com/watts/regn35b.html

The Watts website says that the N35B is a discontinued model.

True. There are still repair kits for the unit.

Seems like just switching out the existing valve with a new one would be the
easiest option.

IMO, the diaphragm in the valve is worn and brittle...

Needs some TLC on the valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 15:53:00 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Here is a webpage for the regulator:
http://www.flwleightonstone.com/watts/regn35b.html

OK, this is easy then. If you don't know the difference between a valve
and regulator, it is best to call a plumber.

Doesn't the OP have a "regulator valve"?

--
"Never accuse a Soldier of being a Marine"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 21:06:59 +0000 (UTC), VidBex
wrote:

Thanks to all for your many recommendations.

Come back and tell us what you did to fix it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2013 1:32 PM, VidBex wrote:

It is a WATTS Regulator/A.S.S.E. 1003/ N35B/Size 3/4/ Model DV/ Set: STD.
??/ Range 25-75/ Max. 400 PSI-180 F. The regulator is situatated about 8"
above the water intake valve for the house.

Oh, man. Riots.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_Riots
Careful, might try and burn your house down.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house. Whenever we
run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the washingmachine, the
valve makes a loud pumping noise (whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) that is audible
inside the house.

What causes this? Is it a defective valve? Can it be fixed?

I think you hae a doo-wop band rehearsing in your garage.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house.

Whenever we run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the

washingmachine, the valve makes a loud pumping noise

(whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) trimmed

You may be better replies by posting the brand name of the valve and

any information on the valve.

It is a WATTS Regulator/A.S.S.E. 1003/ N35B/Size 3/4/ Model DV/ Set: STD.

??/ Range 25-75/ Max. 400 PSI-180 F. The regulator is situatated about 8"

above the water intake valve for the house.

--

VidBex

So it's the pressure regulator that making the noise? Not a open/close valve?

I'd guess it's cycling to adjust the pressure. If it's a new noise then
maybe you should look for a rebuild kit for it.

In my limited experience, it was easier to just replace my PRV with a new
one than rebuild the old one. The price difference was something like $40
vs. $60, kit vs. new valve. No warranty on the rebuild, no guarantee that
the rebuild would even work.

Hardest part was adding the access panel to the basement ceiling after
cutting the drywall out to get to the old valve. I made a sliding access
panel since there is no room to lift it up. Came out pretty nice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

wrote:

In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house.
Whenever we run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the
washingmachine, the valve makes a loud pumping noise
(whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) that is audible inside the house.

What causes this? Is it a defective valve? Can it be fixed?

I think you hae a doo-wop band rehearsing in your garage.

Thanks for any help.

Most likely.

--
VidBex
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 15:53:00 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/7/2013 1:54 PM, VidBex wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 11/7/2013 11:53 AM, VidBex wrote:
In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house.
Whenever we run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the
washingmachine, the valve makes a loud pumping noise
(whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) trimmed

Sometimes the interior washer gets worn and can make loud sounds like
that. Can't say for sure not knowing if it is a globe valve ball
valve or gate valve.

Here is a webpage for the regulator:
http://www.flwleightonstone.com/watts/regn35b.html

OK, this is easy then. If you don't know the difference between a valve
and regulator, it is best to call a plumber. They are fairly cheap and
esily replaced.

Plumbers are not fairly cheap, most are expensive. But they might be
easily replaced as long as there are other plumbers in the area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2013 12:41 PM, VidBex wrote:
Oren wrote in
news
wrote:

In our garage there is a cold water supply valve for our house.
Whenever we run water in the house, flush a toilet, or run the
washingmachine, the valve makes a loud pumping noise
(whoosh-whoosh-whoosh) trimmed

You may be better replies by posting the brand name of the valve and
any information on the valve.

It is a WATTS Regular. Specs. are A.S.S.E 1003/N35B/ SIZE: 3/4 /MODEL:
DV/SET: STD. ??/ RANGE 25-75/ Max. 400 PSI-180 F.

It is not a water valve. It is a pressure regulator. Evidently your
water supply has high pressure that can cause extreme wear on valves,
faucets, etc. The Watts regulator controls the supply pressure. YOu
might try changing the pressure setting to see if it helps on the noise
problem. I would not run the supply pressure over 50-55 lbs, 30 would
probably be a minimum.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

No one has mentioned what I think is obvious. Contact your municipal water supply source!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
No one has mentioned what I think is obvious. Contact your municipal
water supply source!!

Why? What am I missing here? Why should he contact his municipal water
supply source?

(Also, it helps if you quote at least some of the original post to give your
post some context. I did that for you in my reply here.)

Noisy cistern valve Thomas UK diy 6 November 25th 12 07:48 PM
Noisy check valve BruceB[_3_] UK diy 1 March 17th 12 05:43 PM
Noisy shower valve Jimmy[_4_] Home Repair 7 June 8th 11 06:16 PM
Main Water Tank: - Noisy Ball Valve John McLean UK diy 7 July 22nd 06 10:31 PM