Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Incredible electric fireball ....

"Sparks, flames rip down power lines during windstorm in Canada"

Interview:

Home owner captures video.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2802934323001/incredible-electric-fireball-caught-on-camera/?playlist_id=2114913880001
Senior Member

Yeah, I saw a video of that fireball on the TV news.

They say the electric company thinks it was caused by lightening, but I can think of no reason why an electric fireball like that would travel along the wires. It seems to me there would be no impetus for it to move in any direction since the voltage along the entire length of high voltage wire would be very much the same.

I just think this fireball is another example of the fact that things exist in nature that we're unaware of, and don't yet understand. When we see a light in the sky behaving in an odd manner, we think UFO. It's very possible that everything we've been identifying as UFO's are perfectly natural, it's just that they're not common nor understood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
"Sparks, flames rip down power lines during windstorm in Canada"

Interview:

Home owner captures video.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2802934323001/incredible-electric-fireball-caught-on-camera/?playlist_id=2114913880001

Pretty cool!

The explosion at the end reminded me of when the transformer across the
street from my house blew up during an ice storm.

SWBMO and I had already lost power and were kneeling on the couch looking
out of the picture window at the beauty of the ice encrusted trees.
Suddenly the transformer across the street started arcing at the top and
then blew up in a shower of sparks.

We were out for 5 days, but I got power back sooner than some of my
neighbors. The crews were walking the neighborhood and looking at the
location and condition of the downed wires, deciding on who it was safe to
hook up and who it wasn't. I had cleared all the tree debris off of my
wires and laid them neatly between the slats along the top of my 6 foot
board-on-board fence.

They deemed that safe enough and hooked us up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
Yeah, I saw a video of that fireball on the TV news.

They say the electric company thinks it was caused by lightening, but I
can think of no reason why an electric fireball like that would travel
along the wires. It seems to me there would be no impetus for it to
move in any direction since the voltage along the entire length of high
voltage wire would be very much the same.

I just think this fireball is another example of the fact that things
exist in nature that we're unaware of, and don't yet understand. When
we see a light in the sky behaving in an odd manner, we think UFO. It's
very possible that everything we've been identifying as UFO's are
perfectly natural, it's just that they're not common nor understood.

By that logic it's also very possible that everything we've been
identifying as UFO's really are UFO's. I say this for 2 reasons:

1 - From a purely grammatical perspective, if it's an object and it's
flying and we can't identify it, then by definition it's a UFO.

2 - Define "perfectly natural". An alien being from some far off solar
system is as "natural" as fireballs and lightening are here on earth. Since
we don't even understand some of the natural occurrences on our planet, we
surely can't expect to understand what goes on "out there". Those floating,
spinning lights we call UFO's may be exactly that, at a minimum based on my
first point, although a lot more intriguing if by my second.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 21:37:52 +0100, nestork
wrote:

Yeah, I saw a video of that fireball on the TV news.

They say the electric company thinks it was caused by lightening, but I
can think of no reason why an electric fireball like that would travel
along the wires. It seems to me there would be no impetus for it to
move in any direction since the voltage along the entire length of high
voltage wire would be very much the same.

In the link to the video, apparently there was no solid theory from
smart people, as to how this happened. The guy recording the video
has said some did suggest something related to impedance.

all over my head

More theories? I've seen transformers explode before. Never saw a fire
ball like this travel the wires as it did.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDad03 View Post
1 - From a purely grammatical perspective, if it's an object and it's
flying and we can't identify it, then by definition it's a UFO.
I understand what you're saying, but just because we see a light in the sky,

a) it may not necessarily be "flying". Clowds, for example, don't "fly". Ditto for stars.

b) the term "UFO" officially means unidentified flying object, which says very little, but the use of that term implies very much more. "UFO" has come to mean a "craft" of some sort of alien origin being piloted by an alien intellence of some sort.

All I'm saying is that if that electric fireball occurred, then things like this CAN and DO exist in nature, even though they are exceedingly rare. For all we know, the lights in the sky that we've been calling "UFO's" for the past 75 years may simply be a perfectly natural atmospheric phenomenon that we're completely unfamiliar with BECAUSE it occurs quite rarely.

Last edited by nestork : November 5th 13 at 12:14 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 09:51:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

"Sparks, flames rip down power lines during windstorm in Canada"

Interview:

Home owner captures video.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2802934323001/incredible-electric-fireball-caught-on-camera/?playlist_id=2114913880001

ARRRGGG! nothing happens at that website for me. I'm shown a message that
says I'm watching a video, but no video. I click on enlarge video and get
the same page ?!!

Does somebody have the video sitting somewhere?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 17:33:10 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 09:51:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

"Sparks, flames rip down power lines during windstorm in Canada"

Interview:

Home owner captures video.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2802934323001/incredible-electric-fireball-caught-on-camera/?playlist_id=2114913880001

ARRRGGG! nothing happens at that website for me. I'm shown a message that
says I'm watching a video, but no video. I click on enlarge video and get
the same page ?!!

Does somebody have the video sitting somewhere?

Sits on Youtube. Try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBlptPM-pWE

Close to the same...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-04-2013, 19:33, RobertMacy wrote:
ARRRGGG! nothing happens at that website for me. I'm shown a message
that says I'm watching a video, but no video. I click on enlarge video
and get the same page ?!!

Happens a lot on Fox.

Does somebody have the video sitting somewhere?

Try this: http://tinyurl.com/q66nh2k

I suspect a phenomenon similar to "Jacob's Ladder":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2F5JnKaYmc

--
Wes Groleau

What kind of smiley is C:\ ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 17:46:16 -0700, Oren wrote:

...snip...

Sits on Youtube. Try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBlptPM-pWE

Close to the same...

thanks immediately started and could copy to HD.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 17:51:16 -0700, Wes Groleau
wrote:

...thanks...

Try this: http://tinyurl.com/q66nh2k

I suspect a phenomenon similar to "Jacob's Ladder":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2F5JnKaYmc

but, tinyurl don't work for me, just sits there and says DONE, with a
lbank screen.
is ok Oren sent the URL that works ok.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yeah, I saw a video of that fireball on the TV news.

They say the electric company thinks it was caused by lightening, but I
can think of no reason why an electric fireball like that would travel
along the wires. It seems to me there would be no impetus for it to
move in any direction since the voltage along the entire length of high
voltage wire would be very much the same.

Lorenz force would tend to propel the plasma away from the source of
the electricity, much the same way a rail gun works.

I just think this fireball is another example of the fact that things
exist in nature that we're unaware of, and don't yet understand. When
we see a light in the sky behaving in an odd manner, we think UFO. It's
very possible that everything we've been identifying as UFO's are
perfectly natural, it's just that they're not common nor understood.

It's understood well enough, though perhaps not by the general public.
In the case you use above, the observer just doesn't have the
information to make the judgment. Worse, his brain will try to fill
in the blanks. If it can't be identified, just label it as such and
move on. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 4, 2013 3:37:52 PM UTC-5, nestork wrote:
Yeah, I saw a video of that fireball on the TV news.

They say the electric company thinks it was caused by lightening, but I

can think of no reason why an electric fireball like that would travel

along the wires. It seems to me there would be no impetus for it to

move in any direction since the voltage along the entire length of high

voltage wire would be very much the same.

Voltage may be the same, but the distance between wires
will vary and wind can be a factor. Ever see a Jacob's ladder?

I just think this fireball is another example of the fact that things

exist in nature that we're unaware of, and don't yet understand.

I didn't see anything violating any laws of physics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 19:51:16 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 11-04-2013, 19:33, RobertMacy wrote:
ARRRGGG! nothing happens at that website for me. I'm shown a message
that says I'm watching a video, but no video. I click on enlarge video
and get the same page ?!!

Happens a lot on Fox.

Cheap shot noted.

We ALL know it never happens anywhere else on the web. It has to be
Fox. A GET packet broke, so it MUST be the blame of Fox news.

Get a date, Wes. Don't touch my package.
Senior Member

If I had to guess as to the nature of this fireball, I would say it's an example of how air can become so heavily ionized with H+, OH-, oxygen and nitrogen ions that it conducts electricity. The fireball is clearly positioned between the two voltage cables. I would presume those cables are insulated, but they may not be. In any event, anyone designing that electrical distribution system would count on the air space between the two cables as the primary insulation preventing current flow between those cables. This fireball might be what happens when the air between the cables is in such a state that it can conduct electricity.

How the air got that way is anyone's guess, but the utility company's suggestion that it was due to lightening is one idea. Maybe the lightening bolt ionized the air into oxygen, nitrogen and water vapour ions. Ions, being charged particles, can carry an electric current.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 04:01:09 +0100, nestork
wrote:

[...]

You guys are smarter than me. The report from the person on the scene
says it was not due to lightening. Not for hours, before the fireball
traveled across the power lines.

What really caused it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/04/2013 04:51 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

I suspect a phenomenon similar to "Jacob's Ladder":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2F5JnKaYmc

Yes, this is just an arc moving along between two conductors, and
neither ball lightning nor a "fireball" (whatever the hell that means).

It does appear that local conditions precipitated the event (started the
arc), at which time it took over.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yeah, I saw a video of that fireball on the TV news.

They say the electric company thinks it was caused by lightening,
but I can think of no reason why an electric fireball like that
would travel along the wires. It seems to me there would be no
impetus for it to move in any direction since the voltage along the
entire length of high voltage wire would be very much the same.

In the link to the video, apparently there was no solid theory from
smart people, as to how this happened. The guy recording the video
has said some did suggest something related to impedance.

all over my head

More theories? I've seen transformers explode before. Never saw a
fire ball like this travel the wires as it did.

I've worked with high voltage power and it's a strange beast which is
sometimes unpredictable. Those high voltage wires you see overhead are
not insulated and depend on spacing to prevent an arc which is why tree
limbs and squirrels often cause spectacular light shows. Impedance is a
combination of capacitance and inductance and I'm guessing that the "Z",
impedance and conditions were just right for the arc and power lines to
act like an linear electric motor with the magnetic field around the arc
moving along the wires until it ran into the pole mounted transformer.
Of course I could be completely wrong with my SWAG but it's my best
guess. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/4/2013 6:33 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 09:51:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

"Sparks, flames rip down power lines during windstorm in Canada"

Interview:

Home owner captures video.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2802934323001/incredible-electric-fireball-caught-on-camera/?playlist_id=2114913880001

ARRRGGG! nothing happens at that website for me. I'm shown a message
that says I'm watching a video, but no video. I click on enlarge video
and get the same page ?!!

Does somebody have the video sitting somewhere?

I have a dozen web browsers installed and I had to use Opera to view the
video. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 11/4/2013 6:33 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 09:51:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

"Sparks, flames rip down power lines during windstorm in Canada"

Interview:

Home owner captures video.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2802934323001/incredible-electric-fireball-caught-on-camera/?playlist_id=2114913880001

ARRRGGG! nothing happens at that website for me. I'm shown a message
that says I'm watching a video, but no video. I click on enlarge video
and get the same page ?!!

Does somebody have the video sitting somewhere?

I have a dozen web browsers installed and I had to use Opera to view the video. O_o

TDD

Worked on my iPad running NewsTap Lite with no problem. Strange how these
devices work sometimes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 23:16:54 -0700, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

...snip....

I have a dozen web browsers installed and I had to use Opera to view the
video. O_o

TDD

Wow, I use Opera, but we're talking 'out of date' Opera 9.64 running on
Win98 OS through dial up, which has saved me from getting a malware/virus
at least 3 times now. Possibly 5, sometimes an abrupt crash is the key.
Doesn't crash offline, just once in a while online, so suspect something
asked my computer to do something 'illegal' for that OS.

Why dialup? Live in rural area and constantly get calls from local phone
company to upgrade to DSL and get up to 7Mbs! at some exhorbitant cost.
After I tell them that I'm 17,624 ft from the central office and ask what
speed should I expect; they never have an answer, just repeat that 'up to
7Mbs'. A neighbor has DSL and barely gets above 300k at 39.95/mo and asked
me how to make it go faster. I told him he's lucky to be able to do that
at our distance. The way they get that speed is to use two line pairs to
the CO. And, further checking, I was told not even available at my
building, ...at all, [I've seen third world countries have better landline
installations - our cable hangs along some available poles then drops and
runs along the ground for a while, then disappears down a tube (we have
buried services here, even power!)] so why do they keep calling and
bothering me? Why not satellite? Can't use satellite for VOIP, so don't
want to buy a service that is not real-time enough to let me use skype and
such.

But, sigh, dialup is going the way of the 300 baud modems. Soon won't even
get access. Also, I wonder when websites designers will realize people
want 'information' more than 'pretty'. And it's REALLY irritating to have
a blank screen UNTIL something loads in fully - that's just stupid. Even
worse is the 'just start showing you something of interest and you get to
start reading' and then rip it out from under you by blanking the screen
for a long time just to 'update' the screen to complete some little ad at
the bottom of the page! That's just stupid.

Your turn to vent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:18:07 AM UTC-5, Robert Macy wrote:
On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 23:16:54 -0700, The Daring Dufas

wrote:

...snip....

[...]

I think that battle was over a long time ago and you lost.
I feel for you, but the trend to more pretty stuff is only
going to continue as the overwhelming part of the mass market
now has bandwith that supports it.

And it's REALLY irritating to have

a blank screen UNTIL something loads in fully - that's just stupid. Even

worse is the 'just start showing you something of interest and you get to

start reading' and then rip it out from under you by blanking the screen

for a long time just to 'update' the screen to complete some little ad at

the bottom of the page! That's just stupid.

Your turn to vent.

I shared that venting 12 years or so ago, when I had dial-up.
Then went with DSL for about a year or two, until cable internet
arrived here. I can't imagine how it must be now, with far more
content, ads, etc. When I was on dial-up I was bitching that
the website designers are on gigabit ethernet inside a building
and have no idea what it's like for those that don't have it.
But given how the world has evolved and the vast majority have
high speed, I don't think it's reasonable
anymore for them to design websites to the lowest common
denominator. I wonder what percent in the USA are sill on dial-up?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2013 7:18 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 23:16:54 -0700, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

...snip....

[...]

Can you get 4G cell service? I think but not sure you could get data
only. Of course you could be so far out in the sticks that even cell
service is limited. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 07:14:27 -0700, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

...snip...

Can you get 4G cell service? I think but not sure you could get data
only. Of course you could be so far out in the sticks that even cell
service is limited. o_O

TDD

4G ?!!! and how much does THAT cost?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2013 8:24 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 07:14:27 -0700, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

...snip...

Can you get 4G cell service? I think but not sure you could get data
only. Of course you could be so far out in the sticks that even cell
service is limited. o_O

TDD

4G ?!!! and how much does THAT cost?

4G is not the speed, it's a protocol but here's some info. ^_^

http://www.att.com/network/?

www.verizonwireless.com/

www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

SWBMO and I

LOL! Thanks for the laugh. I haven't seen any pussy-whipped dorks refer
to their wife as SWEMBO in ages. Most men I know refer to their wife as a
partner, not a master. Glad to see that there are still some PWs around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 4, 2013 11:51:22 AM UTC-5, Oren wrote: "Sparks, flames rip down power lines during windstorm in Canada" Interview: Home owner captures video. http://video.foxnews.com/v/2802934323001/incredible-electric-fireball-caught-on-camera/?playlist_id=2114913880001
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 06:18:07 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

Wow, I use Opera, but we're talking 'out of date' Opera 9.64 running on
Win98 OS through dial up, which has saved me from getting a malware/virus
at least 3 times now. Possibly 5, sometimes an abrupt crash is the key.
Doesn't crash offline, just once in a while online, so suspect something
asked my computer to do something 'illegal' for that OS.

Why dialup? Live in rural area and constantly get calls from local phone
company to upgrade to DSL and get up to 7Mbs! at some exhorbitant cost.
Af

I'm still using both Win98 and dialup myself. Same here, I live in a
rural area and refuse to pay the outrageous cost of DSL. I can connect
in town nearly anywhere to a WIFI signal if I need to download
something. AS for using 98, I do because I like it. Thids computer is
too slow for XP, but I have a newer computer with XP and never liked XP.
I know for sure I would not touch any of Microsoft's latest bloated OSs.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I'm still using both Win98 and dialup myself. Same here, I live in a
rural area and refuse to pay the outrageous cost of DSL. I can connect
in town nearly anywhere to a WIFI signal if I need to download
something. AS for using 98, I do because I like it. Thids computer is
too slow for XP, but I have a newer computer with XP and never liked XP.
I know for sure I would not touch any of Microsoft's latest bloated OSs.
Me too.

I'm on dial-up, but the ISP I'm with has so much unused dial-up capacity that I'm effectively online 24/7 for $132 per year, including taxes. I download stuff at night when I'm sleeping, and all day long when I'm out. My dowload accelerator (Orbit) allows me to close the Orbit program, hang up and shut off the computer when it's finished it's download list.

And, of course, I have a laptop with wifi that I can use to download any really big files fast on high speed wifi at any McDonalds Restaurant in Winnipeg.

I like Windows XP. But, that's because I have the disk for it, and I use it as an antivirus software. I have two computers; one computer reserved exclusively for my business, and another reserved exclusively for internet access. Whenever I figure I've picked up a virus on my Internet computer, I simply format the hard drive and reload Windows XP and a few supporting programs, like Nitro Reader for reading PDF files, Orbit download accelerator and stuff like that. It takes me a Saturday afternoon to get back up and clean again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 00:24:13 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

JoeBro wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

SWBMO and I

LOL! Thanks for the laugh. I haven't seen any pussy-whipped dorks refer
to their wife as SWEMBO in ages. Most men I know refer to their wife as a
partner, not a master. Glad to see that there are still some PWs around.

What's a SWEMBO?

What's a SWBMO?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 00:24:13 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

JoeBro wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

SWBMO and I

LOL! Thanks for the laugh. I haven't seen any pussy-whipped dorks refer
to their wife as SWEMBO in ages. Most men I know refer to their wife as a
partner, not a master. Glad to see that there are still some PWs around.

What's a SWEMBO?

What's a SWBMO?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=swmbo

"4. SWMBO
Acronym for She Who Must Be Obeyed. Term of endearment for one's
wife/girlfriend (or resignation to the nature of your relationship).

The term originates from the H. Rider Haggard novel, "She" (first published
1886). The character Ayesha, known as She-who-must-be-obeyed, the Queen of
Death, the White Goddess,of the lost city of Kôr who rules her kingdom with
terror, She is the very image of the Femme Fatale. To disobey her or to
scorn her is to earn & receive instantaneous death."

Most of us use the acronym as a term of endearment, even if Haggard didn't
intend that it be used that way.

Anyone who thinks that those of us who refer to our ladies as SWMBO are
"pussy-whipped", probably hasn't ever gotten the first part of that term.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 07:51:38 -0700, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 11/5/2013 8:24 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
...snip....
4G ?!!! and how much does THAT cost?

4G is not the speed, it's a protocol but here's some info. ^_^

http://www.att.com/network/?

www.verizonwireless.com/

www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

TDD

Didn't know that, thought the two were related, like USB 2.0 vs 3.0

When I had the AT&T Motorola RAZR, had no problem using at home. Just hate
to pay $40/mo for ANYTHING! except food. need that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 03:30:58 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 00:24:13 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

JoeBro wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

[...]

chuckle I was goofin' on the use above typos.

I'm aware of "SWMBO". I just call her my "bride", since I'm still
paying for her. She found the perfect man to marry and is constantly
trying to change me.