Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do SharkBite connectors open the ground path?

With all the discussion related to water pipes - copper vs. PEX - and
grounding systems, does anyone know if the installation of a SharkBite
connector breaks the continuity of a copper pipe?

I took a quick look at a SharkBite spec sheet and it wasn't mentioned.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDad03 View Post
With all the discussion related to water pipes - copper vs. PEX - and
grounding systems, does anyone know if the installation of a SharkBite
connector breaks the continuity of a copper pipe?

I took a quick look at a SharkBite spec sheet and it wasn't mentioned.
I have several Sharkbite "caps" that I bought in case I ever have a situation where I can't finish a job for some reason. I figured I could push the Sharkbite caps onto any open 1/2 inch copper pipes and still turn the water back on at least.

I pushed a piece of 1/2 inch copper pipe into a Sharkbite cap, and there was no electrical continuity between the pipe and the Sharkbite cap until I had pushed the pipe in far enough that it had contacted the end of the metal cap.

So, if you were to use Sharkbite couplings to connect lengths of copper pipe, the quality of the electrical continuity would be determined entirely by the end-to-end contact between pipes. If you had water hammer in those pipes, then you could lose that continuity at any time without knowing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
With all the discussion related to water pipes - copper vs. PEX - and
grounding systems, does anyone know if the installation of a SharkBite
connector breaks the continuity of a copper pipe?

I took a quick look at a SharkBite spec sheet and it wasn't mentioned.

Hi,
No multi meter handy?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 20:05:43 +0100, nestork
wrote:

DerbyDad03;3142212 Wrote:
[...]

In the instructions on the sharkbites I installed a few years ago it
said to jumper the connection with a wire and clamps if electrical
continuity was required.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
With all the discussion related to water pipes - copper vs. PEX - and
grounding systems, does anyone know if the installation of a SharkBite
connector breaks the continuity of a copper pipe?

I took a quick look at a SharkBite spec sheet and it wasn't mentioned.

Hi,
No multi meter handy?

No multi-meter, no pipes, no SharkBites. Just a computer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:25:23 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
With all the discussion related to water pipes - copper vs. PEX - and
grounding systems, does anyone know if the installation of a SharkBite
connector breaks the continuity of a copper pipe?

I took a quick look at a SharkBite spec sheet and it wasn't mentioned.

Hi,
No multi meter handy?

Not a good test. What may be a perfectly good connection today, might
not be in ten years.

Sharkbite fittings Ed Pawlowski Home Repair 18 March 14th 13 11:16 AM
Electrical Question GFCI & Open ground DerbyDad03 Home Repair 41 February 28th 12 08:08 AM
open ground reading mgruft Home Repair 4 January 3rd 07 04:36 PM
Open Ground CanopyCo Home Repair 9 August 12th 06 08:54 PM
Open Ground/Hot Neutral Reverse [email protected] Home Repair 5 February 21st 06 05:50 PM