Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Combining projects, or how to fix a chopping block

My wife took MY favorite chopping board, a very nice large older one,
and used it for a project of hers. Her project was to poke holes in
some project of hers with an ice pick, using the wood chopping block as
a backup. (She since went to the fabric store and bought the proper
punch, saying the chopping board did a "sloppy" job on her project.) I
now have a chopping block with about 25 1/4" deep holes in it, the size
of the tip of an ice pick. What would be the best material to fill the
holes with, then, probably sand flush. Something that wouldn't come
out, or sluff off with time. Since I only use KNIVES on it, there
should be no problem of them being punched or gouged out unless the
grandkids are given it by SWMBO for butchering lizards or similar.

These women. They can use your stuff in the most outlandish way, ruin
it, but don't you dare touch any of their stuff.

And then say, "What's the problem? Just fix it!" Or, "Wassamatta? You
have two of them, and that one your Dad gave you was getting old anyway?"

Sheesh. Think I'll use her nice white placemats next time I need to
wash Big Red, and see how she likes it.

"Oh, Honey, don't you like the way the grey tones accentuate the white?"

Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2013 11:59 AM, SteveB wrote:
My wife took MY favorite chopping board, a very nice large older one,
and used it for a project of hers. Her project was to poke holes in
some project of hers with an ice pick, using the wood chopping block as
a backup. (She since went to the fabric store and bought the proper
punch, saying the chopping board did a "sloppy" job on her project.) I
now have a chopping block with about 25 1/4" deep holes in it, the size
of the tip of an ice pick. What would be the best material to fill the
holes with, then, probably sand flush. Something that wouldn't come
out, or sluff off with time. Since I only use KNIVES on it, there
should be no problem of them being punched or gouged out unless the
grandkids are given it by SWMBO for butchering lizards or similar.

snip

I would not think that filling it would be a good idea,
I'd just sand it smooth.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS85K...ature=youtu.be
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2013 12:59 PM, SteveB wrote:
My wife took MY favorite chopping board, a very nice large older one,
and used it for a project of hers. Her project was to poke holes in
some project of hers with an ice pick, using the wood chopping block as
a backup. (She since went to the fabric store and bought the proper
punch, saying the chopping board did a "sloppy" job on her project.) I
now have a chopping block with about 25 1/4" deep holes in it, the size
of the tip of an ice pick. What would be the best material to fill the
holes with, then, probably sand flush.

The best way may be to run it through a wide belt sander or thickness
planer. Do you know of any woodworkers you can ask for help? I don't
know of any fillers that would be suitable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 15:58:23 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/28/2013 12:59 PM, SteveB wrote:
My wife took MY favorite chopping board, a very nice large older one,
and used it for a project of hers. Her project was to poke holes in
some project of hers with an ice pick, using the wood chopping block as
a backup. (She since went to the fabric store and bought the proper
punch, saying the chopping board did a "sloppy" job on her project.) I
now have a chopping block with about 25 1/4" deep holes in it, the size
of the tip of an ice pick. What would be the best material to fill the
holes with, then, probably sand flush.

The best way may be to run it through a wide belt sander or thickness
planer. Do you know of any woodworkers you can ask for help? I don't
know of any fillers that would be suitable.

The only filler for the holes I came up with was ends of toothpicks
broken off and then sanded.

.... it is DIY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 14:18:31 -0500, philo* wrote:

I would not think that filling it would be a good idea,
I'd just sand it smooth.

If the " 25 1/4" deep holes" are in close proximity to each other;
maybe, route some flutes in the wood.

Make it look like a naked girl?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2013 03:14 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 14:18:31 -0500, philo wrote:

I would not think that filling it would be a good idea,
I'd just sand it smooth.

If the " 25 1/4" deep holes" are in close proximity to each other;
maybe, route some flutes in the wood.

Make it look like a naked girl?

Things could be worse

http://www.theguardian.com/notesandq...-20318,00.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

An old-time fix for filling nail holes is to mix sawdust with glue.
Seems that would work better than trying to plug with solid wood. Argh! )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2013 12:18 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

The holes are 3/16" to 1/4" deep .............

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2013 1:05 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I like this. The holes and the size of toothpicks are nearly identical.
I can put a dab of good glue, then softly pound a shortened toothpick
stub in until it bottoms out. Let it dry. Trim. Sand.

Why in the world would I want to take 1/4" off the thickness of a whole
cutting board?

Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/13 11:59 AM, SteveB wrote:
My wife took MY favorite chopping board, a very nice large older one,
and used it for a project of hers. Her project was to poke holes in
some project of hers with an ice pick, using the wood chopping block as
a backup. (She since went to the fabric store and bought the proper
punch, saying the chopping board did a "sloppy" job on her project.) I
now have a chopping block with about 25 1/4" deep holes in it, the size
of the tip of an ice pick. What would be the best material to fill the
holes with, then, probably sand flush. Something that wouldn't come
out, or sluff off with time. Since I only use KNIVES on it, there
should be no problem of them being punched or gouged out unless the
grandkids are given it by SWMBO for butchering lizards or similar.

Would it be practical to drill the holes through the board then use
dowels as plugs?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 18:14:58 -0700, SteveB
wrote:

The only filler for the holes I came up with was ends of toothpicks
broken off and then sanded.

... it is DIY

I like this. The holes and the size of toothpicks are nearly identical.
I can put a dab of good glue, then softly pound a shortened toothpick
stub in until it bottoms out. Let it dry. Trim. Sand.

Why in the world would I want to take 1/4" off the thickness of a whole
cutting board?

Can't you flip the cutting board over and not see the ice pick holes?

/grin
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Get some hardwood toothpicks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The only filler for the holes I came up with was ends of toothpicks
broken off and then sanded.

... it is DIY

I like this. The holes and the size of toothpicks are nearly identical.
I can put a dab of good glue, then softly pound a shortened toothpick
stub in until it bottoms out. Let it dry. Trim. Sand.

Why in the world would I want to take 1/4" off the thickness of a whole
cutting board?

Can't you flip the cutting board over and not see the ice pick holes?

/grin

No, there is an indent carved for a SS bowl for shavings, and there are
rubber feet on the bottom. And a blood tray around the top.

Actually, it was the first thing I tried, but SWMBO said it looked bad.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

doh.

JBWeld all the way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Been a day or two since you posted. Nothing really comes
to mind. The drill and peg (and then refinish the surface)
sounds good. Cut the pegs flush with a Japanese saw.

I guess the question, why fill the holes? Rinse each time
with the sink sprayer hose. That's more work, of course.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:26:59 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
doh.

JBWeld all the way.

Serious suggestion this time.

Using an ice pick she may have crushed and compressed fibers but not actually severed them.

If so, soaking in water sometimes expands them back close to what they were. It's worth a try.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:52:55 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Been a day or two since you posted. Nothing really comes
to mind. The drill and peg (and then refinish the surface)
sounds good. Cut the pegs flush with a Japanese saw.

I guess the question, why fill the holes? Rinse each time
with the sink sprayer hose. That's more work, of course.

Because particles of food will get jammed down in the holes, and no amount of rinsing will dislodge them. They will rot and smell and harbor dangerous bacteria.

Frankly, the only way to save the board for food use is to plane it down the 1/4" and refinish it. If that's even possible.

The filled holes will be "hard spots" in the board and cause you all sorts of grief with your knife work. They will still be places for tiny particles of food to get lodged and harbor bacteria.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 13:52:55 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Been a day or two since you posted. Nothing really comes
to mind. The drill and peg (and then refinish the surface)
sounds good. Cut the pegs flush with a Japanese saw.

I guess the question, why fill the holes? Rinse each time
with the sink sprayer hose. That's more work, of course.

Just get a real butcher block table with four legs, the wife can't
carry it around so easily.

Do I have to think of everything
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Been a day or two since you posted. Nothing really comes
to mind. The drill and peg (and then refinish the surface)
sounds good. Cut the pegs flush with a Japanese saw.

I guess the question, why fill the holes? Rinse each time
with the sink sprayer hose. That's more work, of course.

Just get a real butcher block table with four legs, the wife can't
carry it around so easily.

Do I have to think of everything

yes. that's your job here. no one told you when you signed up?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Been a day or two since you posted. Nothing really comes
to mind. The drill and peg (and then refinish the surface)
sounds good. Cut the pegs flush with a Japanese saw.

I guess the question, why fill the holes? Rinse each time
with the sink sprayer hose. That's more work, of course.

Just get a real butcher block table with four legs, the wife can't
carry it around so easily.

Do I have to think of everything

yes. that's your job here. no one told you when you signed up?

I forget.

--
"People who worry about crocodiles are smart!" -Joe Machi

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2013 5:07 PM, Oren wrote:

Just get a real butcher block table with four legs, the wife can't
carry it around so easily.

Do I have to think of everything

then, it won't jump around when she does her fabric
project with the ice pick, next time?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 28, 2013 11:59:49 AM UTC-5, SteveB wrote:
[...]

Round wood toothpicks hammered into the holes with white glue is what came to my mind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Combining projects, or how to fix a chopping block Best answer

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

Been a day or two since you posted. Nothing really comes
to mind. The drill and peg (and then refinish the surface)
sounds good. Cut the pegs flush with a Japanese saw.

I guess the question, why fill the holes? Rinse each time
with the sink sprayer hose. That's more work, of course.

Just get a real butcher block table with four legs, the wife can't
carry it around so easily.

Do I have to think of everything

Just go out back and drag one of those old stinky
musty pallets in and glue it to the counter top.
This will satisfy any icepick fetishes.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good answer

On 10/29/2013 02:59 PM, TimR wrote:
On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:26:59 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
doh.

JBWeld all the way.

Serious suggestion this time.

Using an ice pick she may have crushed and compressed fibers but not actually severed them.

If so, soaking in water sometimes expands them back close to what they were. It's worth a try.

Probably the best reply of the lot. It may work. At any rate, for
sanitary purposes the only way to fix the thing is by sanding or planing
it down.

The soaking may at any rate much reduce the size of the holes.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS85K...ature=youtu.be

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 18:52:34 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/29/2013 5:07 PM, Oren wrote:

Just get a real butcher block table with four legs, the wife can't
carry it around so easily.

Do I have to think of everything

then, it won't jump around when she does her fabric
project with the ice pick, next time?

With a real butcher block table, you can use a meat clever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good answer.......not so good

On 10/30/2013 6:01 AM, philo wrote:
On 10/29/2013 02:59 PM, TimR wrote:
On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:26:59 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
doh.

JBWeld all the way.

Serious suggestion this time.

Using an ice pick she may have crushed and compressed fibers but not
actually severed them.

If so, soaking in water sometimes expands them back close to what they
were. It's worth a try.

Probably the best reply of the lot. It may work. At any rate, for
sanitary purposes the only way to fix the thing is by sanding or planing
it down.

The soaking may at any rate much reduce the size of the holes.

Soaking a cutting board would likely warp it or separate the boards
before it would uncompact the holes pounded into it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 28, 2013 9:09:56 PM UTC-4, SteveB wrote:
The holes are 3/16" to 1/4" deep .............

That's one tough broad....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2013 04:45 AM, Norminn wrote:
On

Probably the best reply of the lot. It may work. At any rate, for
sanitary purposes the only way to fix the thing is by sanding or planing
it down.

The soaking may at any rate much reduce the size of the holes.

Soaking a cutting board would likely warp it or separate the boards
before it would uncompact the holes pounded into it.

It might work...but since the OP did not like the suggestion to do the
logical thing and sand it down, this would be the only /sanitary/ way to
so it.

If he ruins the board in the process, then for $50 or so he can get a
darn good new one.