Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bad month for appliances

At least I'm keeping the economy stimulated. I'm getting rady to start
a bathroom model and just bought all thr materials. Meantime, the
second fridge was freezing stuff and would not shut off. New thermostat
took care of that.

Washing machine started sounding like a jet turbine. Parts about $225
and major labor so I replaced it.

Dishwasher getting old (15 years) and not draining properly. Checked
drain hose but the pump seems to be wearing out. Given the age, it
could be money spent for a short return. New one will be here Thursday.
Bought from a local dealer for $150 less than Lowes. Delivered,
installed, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/2013 7:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
At least I'm keeping the economy stimulated. I'm getting rady to start
a bathroom model and just bought all thr materials. Meantime, the
second fridge was freezing stuff and would not shut off. New thermostat
took care of that.

Washing machine started sounding like a jet turbine. Parts about $225
and major labor so I replaced it.

Dishwasher getting old (15 years) and not draining properly. Checked
drain hose but the pump seems to be wearing out. Given the age, it
could be money spent for a short return. New one will be here Thursday.
Bought from a local dealer for $150 less than Lowes. Delivered,
installed, etc.

Sounds like more than your share of troubles.
I hope the replacement appliances last for
many years, and give you good service.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 07:46:50 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/26/2013 7:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
At least I'm keeping the economy stimulated. I'm getting rady to start
a bathroom model and just bought all thr materials. Meantime, the
second fridge was freezing stuff and would not shut off. New thermostat
took care of that.

Washing machine started sounding like a jet turbine. Parts about $225
and major labor so I replaced it.

Dishwasher getting old (15 years) and not draining properly. Checked
drain hose but the pump seems to be wearing out. Given the age, it
could be money spent for a short return. New one will be here Thursday.
Bought from a local dealer for $150 less than Lowes. Delivered,
installed, etc.

Sounds like more than your share of troubles.
I hope the replacement appliances last for
many years, and give you good service.

At my age, I'm thinking they may be the last appliances I ever buy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/27/2013 8:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Sounds like more than your share of troubles.
I hope the replacement appliances last for
many years, and give you good service.

At my age, I'm thinking they may be the last appliances I ever buy.

That's possible. I remember Ernie, Senior, next
door. He said to me one day, "this is probably
going to be the last truck I own" as he was
working under the hood. He was right, died a
couple weeks later.

We haven't met in person, but I've enjoyed your
wisdom on Usenet. I'll miss you, when you go.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 10:14:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/27/2013 8:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Sounds like more than your share of troubles.
I hope the replacement appliances last for
many years, and give you good service.

At my age, I'm thinking they may be the last appliances I ever buy.

That's possible. I remember Ernie, Senior, next
door. He said to me one day, "this is probably
going to be the last truck I own" as he was
working under the hood. He was right, died a
couple weeks later.

We haven't met in person, but I've enjoyed your
wisdom on Usenet. I'll miss you, when you go.

Thanks. I'm hoping the appliances last 20 years. I'm 68.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/27/2013 10:39 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We haven't met in person, but I've enjoyed your
wisdom on Usenet. I'll miss you, when you go.

Thanks. I'm hoping the appliances last 20 years. I'm 68.

My G-grand father died at 93.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/2013 6:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
At least I'm keeping the economy stimulated. I'm getting rady to start
a bathroom model and just bought all thr materials. Meantime, the
second fridge was freezing stuff and would not shut off. New thermostat
took care of that.

Washing machine started sounding like a jet turbine. Parts about $225
and major labor so I replaced it.

Dishwasher getting old (15 years) and not draining properly. Checked
drain hose but the pump seems to be wearing out. Given the age, it
could be money spent for a short return. New one will be here Thursday.
Bought from a local dealer for $150 less than Lowes. Delivered,
installed, etc.

My aging pool is like that. Just shelled out $10k for resurfacing and tile.

"The hole in my backyard I throw my money in."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gonjah" wrote in message

stuff snipped

My aging pool is like that. Just shelled out $10k for resurfacing and

tile.

"The hole in my backyard I throw my money in."

Pools are very much like boats. Two jokes come to mind:

What are the two happiest days in a boat owner's life?

The day he buys it and the day he sells it.

What does the word boat mean?

Bust Out Another Thousand.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 17:01:43 -0500, gonjah wrote:

My aging pool is like that. Just shelled out $10k for resurfacing and tile.

"The hole in my backyard I throw my money in."

I didn't need to hear that. My pool needs a new surface. I have a
local plaster company picked out, but have put off calling them for
awhile.

I've always though I can just fill it with dirt and grow food
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2013 12:04 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 17:01:43 -0500, gonjah wrote:

My aging pool is like that. Just shelled out $10k for resurfacing and tile.

"The hole in my backyard I throw my money in."

I didn't need to hear that. My pool needs a new surface. I have a
local plaster company picked out, but have put off calling them for
awhile.

I've always though I can just fill it with dirt and grow food

It ain't cheap. we're getting Pebblesheen instead of plaster. supposed
to last 25 years.

We're also getting a step and a rail installed.

The real total is $9123

So if it was just regular plaster and tile (w/o extras) it would have
been $7073 (only lol).

Medium to small sized pool and spa.

Yeah...It'd make a nice garden.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/27/2013 8:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Sounds like more than your share of troubles.
I hope the replacement appliances last for
many years, and give you good service.

At my age, I'm thinking they may be the last appliances I ever buy.

That's possible. I remember Ernie, Senior, next
door. He said to me one day, "this is probably
going to be the last truck I own" as he was
working under the hood. He was right, died a
couple weeks later.

We haven't met in person, but I've enjoyed your
wisdom on Usenet. I'll miss you, when you go.

Thanks. I'm hoping the appliances last 20 years. I'm 68.

60 is the new 40 or 50, I don't remember which, um.....ah....um.
What were we just talking about? o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/27/2013 9:39 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
We haven't met in person, but I've enjoyed your
wisdom on Usenet. I'll miss you, when you go.

Thanks. I'm hoping the appliances last 20 years. I'm 68.

60 is the new 40 or 50, I don't remember which, um.....ah....um.
What were we just talking about? o_O

TDD

I'm sure I'll never be that bad. Knock wood. knock,
knock.

Sister! Is someone at the door?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

On 10/27/2013 8:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Sounds like more than your share of troubles.
I hope the replacement appliances last for
many years, and give you good service.

At my age, I'm thinking they may be the last appliances I ever buy.

That's possible. I remember Ernie, Senior, next
door. He said to me one day, "this is probably
going to be the last truck I own" as he was
working under the hood. He was right, died a
couple weeks later.

We haven't met in person, but I've enjoyed your
wisdom on Usenet. I'll miss you, when you go.

Thanks. I'm hoping the appliances last 20 years. I'm 68.

60 is the new 40 or 50, I don't remember which, um.....ah....um.
What were we just talking about? o_O

TDD

Where am I and who the heck are you? This is a
normal day for me!

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 10/27/2013 3:01 PM, gonjah wrote:
On 10/26/2013 6:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
At least I'm keeping the economy stimulated. I'm getting rady to start
a bathroom model and just bought all thr materials. Meantime, the
second fridge was freezing stuff and would not shut off. New thermostat
took care of that.

Washing machine started sounding like a jet turbine. Parts about $225
and major labor so I replaced it.

Dishwasher getting old (15 years) and not draining properly. Checked
drain hose but the pump seems to be wearing out. Given the age, it
could be money spent for a short return. New one will be here Thursday.
Bought from a local dealer for $150 less than Lowes. Delivered,
installed, etc.

My aging pool is like that. Just shelled out $10k for resurfacing and tile.

"The hole in my backyard I throw my money in."

Good description of a pool!

I went through that a while back. Also redid the pool plumbing, put in a
new filter (the old filter was way too small) and redid the decking. The
only consolation was that we bought the house knowing full well that the
pool needed renovation plus the amount of repairs needed in general
caused there to be only one other bidder on the house at a time when
most houses were in bidding wars. Also, in California it's better to buy
a fixer-upper and do repairs than to buy a house that's been properly
maintained and updated, at least in terms of property taxes.

The previous owner was a software engineer and I'm still finding weird
things that he did.

In my area there's not a lot of pools so there's not a lot of
competition in terms of pool renovations. My brother in Florida pays a
lot less for pool replastering. I think he paid $2K for replastering the
last time he did it, whereas regular replastering where I am is $8K. We
opted for Pebbletec which was even more, but supposedly it lasts much
longer--we'll see.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 10/28/2013 12:24 AM, Robert Green wrote:
"gonjah" wrote in message

stuff snipped

My aging pool is like that. Just shelled out $10k for resurfacing and

tile.

"The hole in my backyard I throw my money in."

Pools are very much like boats. Two jokes come to mind:

What are the two happiest days in a boat owner's life?

The day he buys it and the day he sells it.

What does the word boat mean?

Bust Out Another Thousand.

I estimate that it's about $3000 per year for chemicals, electricity,
water, amortization of equipment, and amortization for resurfacing every
20 years. And that doesn't include water heating. And that's for a pool
that's only usable six months each year. That's about the same as a
family membership at the local YMCA or JCC/CCC.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 10/28/2013 10:04 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 17:01:43 -0500, gonjah wrote:

My aging pool is like that. Just shelled out $10k for resurfacing and tile.

"The hole in my backyard I throw my money in."

I didn't need to hear that. My pool needs a new surface. I have a
local plaster company picked out, but have put off calling them for
awhile.

I've always though I can just fill it with dirt and grow food

No you can't. You have to remove the pool in a specific way. Pool
removal costs more than replastering, but at least you eliminate the
recurring expenses.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 10/28/2013 3:44 PM, gonjah wrote:
On 10/28/2013 12:04 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 17:01:43 -0500, gonjah wrote:

My aging pool is like that. Just shelled out $10k for resurfacing and
tile.

"The hole in my backyard I throw my money in."

I didn't need to hear that. My pool needs a new surface. I have a
local plaster company picked out, but have put off calling them for
awhile.

I've always though I can just fill it with dirt and grow food

It ain't cheap. we're getting Pebblesheen instead of plaster. supposed
to last 25 years.

We're also getting a step and a rail installed.

The real total is $9123

I think ours was $12K. But it's a larger pool and needed new coping, new
plumbing, new filter, new electrical. They wanted $8K for regular plaster.

The claim for pebble surfaces is 25 years while plastering needs to be
done about twice as often. We'll see. The pebble surface looks a lot better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 04:38:33 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 10/28/2013 10:04 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 17:01:43 -0500, gonjah wrote:

My aging pool is like that. Just shelled out $10k for resurfacing and tile.

"The hole in my backyard I throw my money in."

I didn't need to hear that. My pool needs a new surface. I have a
local plaster company picked out, but have put off calling them for
awhile.

I've always though I can just fill it with dirt and grow food

No you can't. You have to remove the pool in a specific way. Pool
removal costs more than replastering, but at least you eliminate the
recurring expenses.

Is that a local code? I'm not familiar with a code here that mandates
is specific method to decommission a pool.

I've seen one here that was not removed; nor, where the walls
collapsed. It was filled in and made into a desert cactus garden.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

wrote:

On 10/28/2013 10:04 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 17:01:43 -0500, gonjah wrote:

My aging pool is like that. Just shelled out $10k for resurfacing and tile.

"The hole in my backyard I throw my money in."

I didn't need to hear that. My pool needs a new surface. I have a
local plaster company picked out, but have put off calling them for
awhile.

I've always though I can just fill it with dirt and grow food

No you can't. You have to remove the pool in a specific way. Pool
removal costs more than replastering, but at least you eliminate the
recurring expenses.

Is that a local code? I'm not familiar with a code here that mandates
is specific method to decommission a pool.

I'm sure it's a local code, and requirements vary.

http://ecityhall.sunnyvale.ca.gov/cd/i_swimmingpool.aspx
www.cupertino.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=7307
http://www.ci.fullerton.ca.us/depts/dev_serv/building_n_permits/pool_demolition.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well. That's a far cry from "remove the pool."

Interesting, you can treat the pool like a giant potted plant. Still
doesn't sound cheap though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes it is

Interesting, you can treat the pool like a giant potted plant. Still
doesn't sound cheap though.

On the doomsday preppers show (?) a guy in AZ used his pool to grow
edible aquatic plants and fish (Talapia). Not that I'm ready to turn
my pool into a garden or fish pond...if I do, I'm not telling the
government.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06 Nov 2013 04:55:02 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sat 26 Oct 2013 04:36:40p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

At least I'm keeping the economy stimulated. I'm getting rady to
start a bathroom model and just bought all thr materials.
Meantime, the second fridge was freezing stuff and would not shut
off. New thermostat took care of that.

Washing machine started sounding like a jet turbine. Parts about
$225 and major labor so I replaced it.

Why did I think you had purchased a new HE Maytag washer and dryer?

I did buy the washer. The dryer is not the matching HE, but it was
replaced just over a year ago and is OK.

So far, the Maytag washer is doing a fine job. KA dishwasher is too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2013 10:08 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/27/2013 9:39 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
We haven't met in person, but I've enjoyed your
wisdom on Usenet. I'll miss you, when you go.

Thanks. I'm hoping the appliances last 20 years. I'm 68.

60 is the new 40 or 50, I don't remember which, um.....ah....um.
What were we just talking about? o_O

TDD

I'm sure I'll never be that bad. Knock wood. knock,
knock.

Sister! Is someone at the door?

Sandy and Lexie let us know right away when someone is at the door. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

About three months ago we decided to bite the bullet and replace the
pair, giving the old units to my partner's son. We were leary of
buying another top-loading HE washer because of our experience, so
bought a Maytag set of front loaders set on pedastals. The Maytags
are amazing! We also love all of the bells and whistles! :-)
--

My mother had a Maytag washer and we've had them too. Every one lasted
longer than what is average so I'm sticking with them. I think you and

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pools (was Bad month for appliances)

"sms" wrote in message

stuff snipped

What are the two happiest days in a boat owner's life?

The day he buys it and the day he sells it.

What does the word boat mean?

Bust Out Another Thousand.

I estimate that it's about $3000 per year for chemicals, electricity,
water, amortization of equipment, and amortization for resurfacing every
20 years. And that doesn't include water heating. And that's for a pool
that's only usable six months each year. That's about the same as a
family membership at the local YMCA or JCC/CCC.

At least for the money you don't have to splash around in someone else's
waste. I wish I could recall where I read the article that reviewed tests
of
community pool water for contaminants.

Wait, here it is!

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/20...amination.html

and here, too:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/17/health/cdc-pool-water/

After these studies came out the wife and I had a serious discussion about
getting one of those small endless pools installed.

The CNN report:

Chlorine is supposed to take care of most of the microbes floating around
in pools, but human waste, it seems, is stubbornly resistant to being
sanitized. That's the conclusion of a group of researchers from the Centers
for Disease Control (CDC), who collected water samples from 161 filters in
public and private swimming pools, as well as water parks in Atlanta last
summer.

What they found trapped in those filters was enough to make swimmers think
twice before logging their laps. More than half of the samples were
contaminated with E. coli, which the investigators say comes from one
primary source -- swimmers pooping in the pool . . .
When a pool is properly chlorinated, however, bacteria like E. coli should
be killed off, since proper pH levels typically take care of the issue.
According to the CDC, it takes less than a minute for E. coli to be
inactivated if chlorine levels are adequate, about 16 minutes to control
Hepatitis A virus, about 45 minutes to kill off the Giardia parasite and
over 10 days for a Crypto parasite.

But just one diarrhea accident can cause an infection for anyone who gets a
mouth full of pool water. Fortunately, the testing did not reveal strains of
E. coli 0157, a particularly virulent form of the bacteria that was
responsible for several outbreaks, and deaths, from serious foodborne
illnesses.

Gack! I sort of knew that people always peed in pools, but pooping too?

--

Bobby G.