Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Joe Joe is offline

Default How much oil do you use for hot water each month?

I just calculated my oil usage per month and I'm using about 42
gallons per month for 4 people. The reason I ask is because I have a
tankless water heater and I'm curious is it would be more efficient to
install a standard water heater. So I guess what I'm asking is if
anyone with a standard water heater and an oil tank could share how
much oil they use monthly so I can compare that usage with mine.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

I dont use oil any more, but some quick calculations:

42 gallons x 140KBTU/gallon = 5,880,000BTU / 8.3 lb/gal of water / 100
degree rise = 7084 gallons of hot water per month.

If there are 4 people for 30 days, each person is using 60 gallons of
hot water per day. That assumes 100% efficiency of the heater, which
really isn't the case. But 60 gallons/person/day seems REALLY high,
unless you do 3 loads of hot laundry every day, and everyone takes 30
minute showers every day. I suspect your heater is not working
efficiently. $1200/year for hot water seems like a lot more than most
people would be paying with a regular tank. Have you had your unit
checked? Tankless is supposed to be more efficient.

BTW, at my last house, with three people, we had a tankless boiler for
hot water. I never checked per month, but we only had a 200 gallon
tank, and the summer months wouldn't put a dent in that with us using
hot water.

On Jul 3, 2:50 pm, Joe wrote:
I just calculated my oil usage per month and I'm using about 42
gallons per month for 4 people. The reason I ask is because I have a
tankless water heater and I'm curious is it would be more efficient to
install a standard water heater. So I guess what I'm asking is if
anyone with a standard water heater and an oil tank could share how
much oil they use monthly so I can compare that usage with mine.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

My electric bill was $35 last month.

In my case, there are two people living at my house. I have an electric tank
water heater on a timer. Each morning it only warms up the water and only
runs for about 15 minutes. So there is warm water (not hot) for hand washing
and doing dishes most of the day.

When we "need" to take a shower, we turn on the hot water heater about 5 or
10 minutes before taking a shower. Then turn it off after taking a shower.

We do not take showers every day. In the winter we can go several days
without needing a shower. In the summer sometimes need two showers in one
day. Depends. If staying home and it is a weekend, then no need for a
shower. Etc.

An electric water heater can be 30% of an electric bill. Note I also have
new "Energy Star" appliances which save on electricity. For example I
purchased a new refrigerator and this reduced my electric bill by $15 every
month. Also I have a "Time of Use" electric meter where I get lower electric
rates between 10 pm and 6 am. So run water heater at 5:40 for 15 minutes to
get our warm water for the day.

"Joe" wrote in message
I just calculated my oil usage per month and I'm using about 42
gallons per month for 4 people. The reason I ask is because I have a
tankless water heater and I'm curious is it would be more efficient to
install a standard water heater. So I guess what I'm asking is if
anyone with a standard water heater and an oil tank could share how
much oil they use monthly so I can compare that usage with mine.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

We do not take showers every day. In the winter we can go several days
without needing a shower. In the summer sometimes need two showers in one
day. Depends. If staying home and it is a weekend, then no need for a
shower. Etc.

An electric water heater can be 30% of an electric bill. Note I also have
new "Energy Star" appliances which save on electricity. For example I
purchased a new refrigerator and this reduced my electric bill by $15 every
month. Also I have a "Time of Use" electric meter where I get lower electric
rates between 10 pm and 6 am. So run water heater at 5:40 for 15 minutes to
get our warm water.

PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW