Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does car block heater need ground?

For Canadian winters, the car has a built-in engine block
heater, powered by 120v house current. Last spring the third
pin (ground) detached from the male connector. Do I
really need it, i.e. do I really need grounding, when the
block heater is powered up (max. 3 hours) ?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/26/2013 8:40 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
For Canadian winters, the car has a built-in engine block
heater, powered by 120v house current. Last spring the third
pin (ground) detached from the male connector. Do I
really need it, i.e. do I really need grounding, when the
block heater is powered up (max. 3 hours) ?

Functionally, no, it's just safety ground, the neutral carries the
return path current.

Given the application and that w/ snow and all so is damp environment
I'd probably repair it for that reason (safety, that is).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Phillipson wrote:
For Canadian winters, the car has a built-in engine block
heater, powered by 120v house current. Last spring the third
pin (ground) detached from the male connector. Do I
really need it, i.e. do I really need grounding, when the
block heater is powered up (max. 3 hours) ?

Hi,
Sure, you can only replace the cord. Think safety.
All our cars came with block heater but haven't use them.
In old days when cars had carbs. we always did.
Also A/C system is now automatic climate control. As soon as
engine satrts running car interior gets warm air right away.

They may not sell cord only, then you have get heater and only use the
cord from it. Or you can replace the plug yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/2013 9:40 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
For Canadian winters, the car has a built-in engine block
heater, powered by 120v house current. Last spring the third
pin (ground) detached from the male connector. Do I
really need it, i.e. do I really need grounding, when the
block heater is powered up (max. 3 hours) ?

Third pin (the round one) is for safety. The
unit should function without it. But, there is
risk of electric shock to you or others.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/2013 8:40 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
For Canadian winters, the car has a built-in engine block heater,
powered by 120v house current. Last spring the third pin (ground)
detached from the male connector. Do I really need it, i.e. do I
really need grounding, when the block heater is powered up (max. 3
hours) ?

Have you considered replacing the plug? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 26, 2013 10:24:34 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 10/26/2013 8:40 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:

For Canadian winters, the car has a built-in engine block

heater, powered by 120v house current. Last spring the third

pin (ground) detached from the male connector. Do I

really need it, i.e. do I really need grounding, when the

block heater is powered up (max. 3 hours) ?

Functionally, no, it's just safety ground, the neutral carries the

return path current.

Given the application and that w/ snow and all so is damp environment

I'd probably repair it for that reason (safety, that is).

--

+1

The car is also sitting on rubber tires. If the hot shorts to
the engine, now the whole car is energized. Walk out when
the ground is damp, grab the metal door handle, not a good thing.
If it's plugged into a GFCI outlet, like new garage, outdoor
wiring has, then that should prevent harm, but there isn't
any guarantee where the heater will be used. Easy enough to
put a new plug on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/26/2013 11:53 AM, wrote:

OTOH this should be on a GFCI anyway ...

Does "should" always equate to "is" for a movable DUT...???