Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door Security Bar

Talking about the bar that runs at a 45 degree angle from the doorknob to
the floor, and which is supposed to prevent the door from opening.

Jus how much force will it withstand? I suppose it depends on the floor
surface. If the entryway is stone, e.g., it would be more effective than
if the bar rests on a thin carpet of some kind.

Any thoughts?

(PS-- Bought one of these bars several years ago after seeing a news item
whereby an intruder inserted a special key in the front door keyhole and
tapped it with a hammer, releasing the deadbolt. Scary.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2013 1:17 PM, Don't smoke; eat well; exercise; die anyway wrote:
Talking about the bar that runs at a 45 degree angle from the doorknob to
the floor, and which is supposed to prevent the door from opening.

Jus how much force will it withstand? I suppose it depends on the floor
surface. If the entryway is stone, e.g., it would be more effective than
if the bar rests on a thin carpet of some kind.

Any thoughts?

(PS-- Bought one of these bars several years ago after seeing a news item
whereby an intruder inserted a special key in the front door keyhole and
tapped it with a hammer, releasing the deadbolt. Scary.)

No way to know, from here. About the time
the make a better lock, a better burglar
comes along. I figure do what you can, and
make 'em work for their booty.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 25, 2013 10:17:07 AM UTC-7, Don't smoke; eat well; exercise; die anyway wrote:
Talking about the bar that runs at a 45 degree angle from the doorknob to

the floor, and which is supposed to prevent the door from opening.

Jus how much force will it withstand? I suppose it depends on the floor

surface. If the entryway is stone, e.g., it would be more effective than

if the bar rests on a thin carpet of some kind.

Any thoughts?

(PS-- Bought one of these bars several years ago after seeing a news item

whereby an intruder inserted a special key in the front door keyhole and

tapped it with a hammer, releasing the deadbolt. Scary.)

It is stronger than any other lock per dollar cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:17:07 -0400, "Don't smoke; eat well; exercise;
die anyway" wrote:

Talking about the bar that runs at a 45 degree angle from the doorknob to
the floor, and which is supposed to prevent the door from opening.

Jus how much force will it withstand? I suppose it depends on the floor
surface. If the entryway is stone, e.g., it would be more effective than
if the bar rests on a thin carpet of some kind.

Any thoughts?

(PS-- Bought one of these bars several years ago after seeing a news item
whereby an intruder inserted a special key in the front door keyhole and
tapped it with a hammer, releasing the deadbolt. Scary.)

It is a function of the material of the bar and the strength of what
the bar is resting against.

For example, let's assume one would have a bar made from several
drinking straws taped together resting against the base of a concrete
wall. We could conclude that the wall would be a nearly impossible
thing for an intruder to move. We could also conclude that the
drinking straws would be extremely easy to overcome.

On the other hand, let's say the bar is constructed of 3" diameter
steel what the bar rests on an occasional chair. We could conclude
that the bar is probably stronger than anything else in that area and
won't fail. However, a small child would have little or no problem
moving the chair.

Simply placing the bar on a tile floor would be a poor choice because
only a minor impact could knock it loose. You would need a wall, or
similar, to wedge the bar against to prevent it from moving.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2013 01:41 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

On the other hand, let's say the bar is constructed of 3" diameter
steel what the bar rests on an occasional chair.

What is it the rest of the time?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 15:09:20 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 10/25/2013 01:41 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

On the other hand, let's say the bar is constructed of 3" diameter
steel what the bar rests on an occasional chair.

What is it the rest of the time?

Jon

The rest of the time it's...

..
..
..
..
\ /

....a 3" diameter steel bar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Talking about the bar that runs at a 45 degree angle from the doorknob to
the floor, and which is supposed to prevent the door from opening.

Jus how much force will it withstand? I suppose it depends on the floor
surface. If the entryway is stone, e.g., it would be more effective than
if the bar rests on a thin carpet of some kind.

Any thoughts?

(PS-- Bought one of these bars several years ago after seeing a news item
whereby an intruder inserted a special key in the front door keyhole and
tapped it with a hammer, releasing the deadbolt. Scary.)

The "special key" is called a "bump key" and the technique is called Lock
Bumping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_bumping

Lots of youtube's on how to make a bump key. Here's just one example:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gROEh3TunUo
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2013 6:09 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 10/25/2013 01:41 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

On the other hand, let's say the bar is constructed of 3" diameter
steel what the bar rests on an occasional chair.

What is it the rest of the time?

Jon

Did you hear about the boy who
walked down the street, and turned
into a store?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

door security stuart noble UK diy 7 August 28th 13 08:39 AM
Painting Security Door Meanie Home Repair 0 May 27th 12 04:16 PM
Security Door - One Way Screws Robert H Home Repair 14 January 3rd 11 03:50 AM
Garage Door Security DavidKendall UK diy 4 April 29th 06 12:07 AM
Security Door Trish Home Repair 1 July 16th 05 01:55 PM