Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Security Door - One Way Screws

I am about to install a security screen door which will be attached to the
house with 8 included 4-inch color-matched one-way screws. Obviously, I
need to get it right the first time. According to the oh-so-simple
instructions, I just need to drill 3/16-inch holes, then use a flat blade
screwdriver to insert the screws.

How do the pros do this? Is there a drill bit for one-way screws? I also
had the idea to first install the door using 2-inch hex-head lag screws,
then remove them one by one and replace with the one-way screws.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2011 12:21 AM Robert H spake thus:

I am about to install a security screen door which will be attached to the
house with 8 included 4-inch color-matched one-way screws. Obviously, I
need to get it right the first time. According to the oh-so-simple
instructions, I just need to drill 3/16-inch holes, then use a flat blade
screwdriver to insert the screws.

How do the pros do this? Is there a drill bit for one-way screws? I also
had the idea to first install the door using 2-inch hex-head lag screws,
then remove them one by one and replace with the one-way screws.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

If you're worried about not getting it right the first time, go with
your second hunch there and use some non-one-way screws first. (Make
sure they're the same size as the ones supplied with the door.)

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 00:21:18 -0800, "Robert H" wrote:

I am about to install a security screen door which will be attached to the
house with 8 included 4-inch color-matched one-way screws. Obviously, I
need to get it right the first time. According to the oh-so-simple
instructions, I just need to drill 3/16-inch holes, then use a flat blade
screwdriver to insert the screws.

So use regular screws until you get it right. Then change screws.

How do the pros do this? Is there a drill bit for one-way screws?

No. To put them in? Why would that be different? I wanted to take
my expensive door bolt with the twin round keys, that I paid for and
installed, including in the steel door frame, when I left my apartment
in NYC. I had put in one-way screws, the ones that are flat going
clockwise and sloped and rounded up going the other way. One the door
side, the wood door is metal clad and the wood part of holes were not
that tight. They didn't have to be becuse the force would be in the
other direction. The door jamb prevented pulling.

They were supposed to be tight enough that a burglar entering via the
fire escape wouldn't be able to get out the apartment door. And the
fire escapes on the front of the building didnt' go to the roof, so it
was quite unlikely anyone would enter that way. (Though I did once
when the landlord illegally broke in and changed the locks. I went to
the girls upstairs, out their window, down the fire escape one flight,
broke the glass in one small pane, entered, and changed the lock
again, then wouldn't leave the apartment until I resolved it with the
landlord.

So when I moved out, I used a hammer and a screwdriver to make the
slightest notch in the screw head and unscrewed them, and because the
holes weren't tight, it worked. I shouldn't have taken it. There is
no use for such a lock in Baltimore, at least not where I live.

I also
had the idea to first install the door using 2-inch hex-head lag screws,
then remove them one by one and replace with the one-way screws.

That's something like what I just suggested. Why don't you do that?
I don't know why lag screws especially. Aren't they thicker than the
one-way screws you have?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"Robert H" wrote in message
I am about to install a security screen door which will be attached to the
house with 8 included 4-inch color-matched one-way screws. Obviously, I
need to get it right the first time. According to the oh-so-simple
instructions, I just need to drill 3/16-inch holes, then use a flat blade
screwdriver to insert the screws.

How do the pros do this? Is there a drill bit for one-way screws? I also
had the idea to first install the door using 2-inch hex-head lag screws,
then remove them one by one and replace with the one-way screws.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

You are correct using the regular screws and replacing them one at a time.
There are different head types for security screws. Since you need a flat
blade to install them, I'm guessing they are the one way type with two bumps
on them. Please verify that so I can order the correct screwdriver to take
them out and steal the door. See item 7392A64 at the McMaster web site.
There is a drill bit attachment also to get them out even faster. Item
5713A14

I hope you still feel secure!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2011 3:21 AM, Robert H wrote:
I am about to install a security screen door which will be attached to
the house with 8 included 4-inch color-matched one-way screws.
Obviously, I need to get it right the first time. According to the
oh-so-simple instructions, I just need to drill 3/16-inch holes, then
use a flat blade screwdriver to insert the screws.

How do the pros do this? Is there a drill bit for one-way screws? I also
had the idea to first install the door using 2-inch hex-head lag screws,
then remove them one by one and replace with the one-way screws.

Seems to me that if you are going to drill the holes that it doesn't
matter if you use non one way screws first or not.

I'm no expert on one way screws, but I can tell you that I have a set
(two actually) of used one way screws that I got from the local security
door salesman that are in very good shape. Obviously not as one way as I
would have thought.

Jeff

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The others are wise, that you should get ordinary screws to
use for the first bit of time. A week or so, while the house
and frame settles.

As to installing, use a slotted screw driver tip in a
cordless drill.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Robert H" wrote in message
I am about to install a security screen door which will be
attached to the
house with 8 included 4-inch color-matched one-way screws.
Obviously, I
need to get it right the first time. According to the
oh-so-simple
instructions, I just need to drill 3/16-inch holes, then use
a flat blade
screwdriver to insert the screws.

How do the pros do this? Is there a drill bit for one-way
screws? I also
had the idea to first install the door using 2-inch hex-head
lag screws,
then remove them one by one and replace with the one-way
screws.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
?
"Robert H" wrote in message
[...]

I used to be in that business. Using one-way screws is not a great idea.
If you put them in a tube, you have a bugger of a time getting them out.
Putting them in a tube is a good way to keep someone from accessing them and
backing them out. But some doors come with just screw tabs. It just
depends if you have a welder, and can weld. It only takes a 110 Mig to do
it. What works better, and is available, is to weld on a 1" x 1" cover on
the tube, and limit access to only those determined thieves who want to use
a grinder to get it off. Anyone who is really in a hurry will just hook a
chain on it and pull it off in two seconds like the police do.

Unless you get into some serious (spelled with two $$'es) security barriers,
most security devices attached to frame, block and brick homes are pretty
wimpy.

I believe I could get into one in ten seconds max. An experienced picklock
could have it open in just a little longer, and walk in.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 00:21:18 -0800, Robert H wrote:

I am about to install a security screen door which will be attached to the
house with 8 included 4-inch color-matched one-way screws. Obviously, I
need to get it right the first time. According to the oh-so-simple
instructions, I just need to drill 3/16-inch holes, then use a flat blade
screwdriver to insert the screws.

How do the pros do this? Is there a drill bit for one-way screws? I also
had the idea to first install the door using 2-inch hex-head lag screws,
then remove them one by one and replace with the one-way screws.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

You would drill smaller pilot holes and then screw in the screws by hand.
If you use a power drill, your hand will probably slip and the bit will
damage the door.

--
I have a spelling checker / It came with my PC;
It plainly marks four my revue / Mistakes I cannot sea.

1/2/2011 12:35:07 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 12:37:35 -0500, Rocinante
wrote:

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 00:21:18 -0800, Robert H wrote:

I am about to install a security screen door which will be attached to the
house with 8 included 4-inch color-matched one-way screws. Obviously, I
need to get it right the first time. According to the oh-so-simple
instructions, I just need to drill 3/16-inch holes, then use a flat blade
screwdriver to insert the screws.

How do the pros do this? Is there a drill bit for one-way screws? I also
had the idea to first install the door using 2-inch hex-head lag screws,
then remove them one by one and replace with the one-way screws.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

You would drill smaller pilot holes and then screw in the screws by hand.
If you use a power drill, your hand will probably slip and the bit will
damage the door.

An impact driver is the only way to fly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 3:21*am, "Robert H" wrote:
I am about to install a security screen door which will be attached to the
house with 8 included 4-inch color-matched one-way screws. *Obviously, I
need to get it right the first time. *According to the oh-so-simple
instructions, I just need to drill 3/16-inch holes, then use a flat blade
screwdriver to insert the screws.

How do the pros do this? *Is there a drill bit for one-way screws? *I also
had the idea to first install the door using 2-inch hex-head lag screws,
then remove them one by one and replace with the one-way screws.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Not having security screws I filled the slots of regular screw with
epoxy after they were tighten down the painted them with black paint.
If I ever need to remove thm the epoxy can be cleaned out with out an
undue amount of trouble. Otherwise they look like carriage bolts or
rivets and people leave it along thinking its just too much trouble to
break into. As far as security bolts go there is a tool for removing
just about all of them that can be easily purchased by just about
anyone.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 00:21:18 -0800, "Robert H" wrote:

I am about to install a security screen door which will be attached to the

By the way, what is the point of this on a screen door? Will it be
locked from the inside too? What if there is a fire? Will the key
be handy?

What prevents them from cutting the screen from top to bottom to go in
and out? Screen door bars in the middle? They can't be ripped
right out?

house with 8 included 4-inch color-matched one-way screws. Obviously, I
need to get it right the first time. According to the oh-so-simple
instructions, I just need to drill 3/16-inch holes, then use a flat blade
screwdriver to insert the screws.

How do the pros do this? Is there a drill bit for one-way screws? I also
had the idea to first install the door using 2-inch hex-head lag screws,
then remove them one by one and replace with the one-way screws.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

wrote:

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 00:21:18 -0800, Robert H wrote:

I am about to install a security screen door which will be attached
to the house with 8 included 4-inch color-matched one-way screws.
Obviously, I need to get it right the first time. According to the
oh-so-simple instructions, I just need to drill 3/16-inch holes,
then use a flat blade screwdriver to insert the screws.

How do the pros do this? Is there a drill bit for one-way screws?
I also had the idea to first install the door using 2-inch hex-head
lag screws, then remove them one by one and replace with the one-way
screws.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

You would drill smaller pilot holes and then screw in the screws by
hand. If you use a power drill, your hand will probably slip and the
bit will damage the door.

An impact driver is the only way to fly.

there's a magnetic bit holder with an outer sleeve that slides over the
screw head,keeping the straight bit centered in the screw slot.
I have one I found in the road while bicycling.
It looked like an ordinary magnetic bit extension,but then I discovered the
sliding outer sleeve.

I don't know who makes them.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 5:28*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Robert H" wrote :

[...]

Is it similar to this?

http://tkwebproduction.s3.amazonaws..../g/u/guide.jpg

Those are typically used to hold a screw by sliding the outer sleeve
over the screw so that you can hold the drill at just about any angle
without having to hold the screw.

Once pressure is put on the screw, the bit finds the head and the
sleeve retracts as the screw enters the workpiece.

I guess it could be used help keep the bit centered over a screw while
extracted it.

Perhaps the adaptor you've found is different? Lots of companies make
them. As with most products, the knockoffs are pretty crappy. I've
been pretty satisfied with the Dewalt brand over the years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 13:23:03 -0800, "Robert H" wrote:

This is the door:
http://www.firstalert.com/home-secur...doors/50730X80

That door has a powder coat finish. Invariably you will damage the
finish with a slotted screwdriver. No way to touch up the marks you
make, except using some paint - similar in color.

We are trying primarily to prevent crimes of opportunity, to make
it more difficult. A neighbor recently had an entry door kicked in
by a couple of kids on their way home from school, and we realized
we needed to beef things up a bit.

Pet door? They will get in that way.

Front door security David J UK diy 13 July 2nd 09 01:00 PM
Garage Door Security DavidKendall UK diy 4 April 29th 06 01:07 AM
Security Door Trish Home Repair 1 July 16th 05 02:55 PM
removing security screws Paul MR Home Repair 2 May 4th 05 04:50 PM
Security Screws PrecisionMachinisT Home Repair 7 October 15th 04 11:21 PM