Junior Member

Default Which home insurance??

I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so I want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal is due in a month. Is that enough time?
Saw an ad for these Get the :: BEST HOME INSURANCE DEALS :: for your house today! so thought I'd do it all online but would appreciate some recommendations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 12:41:02 +0200, ChloeP
wrote:

I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so I
want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal is due
in a month. Is that enough time?
Saw an ad for these 'Get the :: BEST HOME INSURANCE DEALS :: for your
house today!' (http://www.homeinsuroffers.com) so thought I'd do it all
online but would appreciate some recommendations.

I would avoid webpages with names like this. Find a company that
will be around when you have a claim. They have webpages too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2013 05:41 AM, ChloeP wrote:

I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so I
want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal is due
in a month. Is that enough time?

snip

I had a miserable experience with State Farm

try anything else

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so I
want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal is due
in a month. Is that enough time?
Saw an ad for these 'Get the :: BEST HOME INSURANCE DEALS :: for your
house today!' (http://www.homeinsuroffers.com) so thought I'd do it all
online but would appreciate some recommendations.

I would avoid webpages with names like this. Find a company that
will be around when you have a claim. They have webpages too.

Agree!

If you're 50 or older, look into the insurance program through AARP.

While I disagree with their stance on many things, I LOVE their
insurance through The Hartford. Have both home and auto through them
and I cannot say enough good things about them.

Haven't had a claim on the homeowners, but did have a substantial claim
on the auto a couple years into my coverage with them. It was handled
promptly, fairly and because I'd been with them for 3 years at that time
they waived my deductible AND "forgave" me the accident - my rates did
not go up.

Their rates have held the line or decreased the past couple of years
(and I have a policy with full coverage and high limits).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so I
want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal is due
in a month. Is that enough time?
Saw an ad for these 'Get the :: BEST HOME INSURANCE DEALS :: for your
house today!' (http://www.homeinsuroffers.com) so thought I'd do it all
online but would appreciate some recommendations.

When I had a claim for damage by Hurricane Irene last year, Travelers
obtained through GEICO raised my rates almost 100%. Looked around a
tried MIDDLEOAK (formerly Middlesex Mutual) and rates have been good
and customer service quite good. I've had no claims through yet so I
can't tell what will happen. www.middleoak.com

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

who do you have your Auto Insurance with?
and do you like them?

maybe they do Homeowners also...
sometimes you can get a discount, with both

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2013 6:41 AM, ChloeP wrote:

I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so I
want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal is due
in a month. Is that enough time?
Saw an ad for these 'Get the :: BEST HOME INSURANCE DEALS :: for your
house today!' (http://www.homeSPAMoffers.com) so thought I'd do it all
online but would appreciate some recommendations.

I'd get a company that covers your house if you start the kitchen on
fire when cooking SPAM. I kind of smell it here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/11/2013 6:41 AM, ChloeP wrote:

I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates
went up 5%
so I want to look around. I haven't got much time though,
next
renewal is due in a month. Is that enough time?
Saw an ad for these 'Get the :: BEST HOME INSURANCE DEALS
:: for your
house today!' (http://www.homeSPAMoffers.com) so thought
I'd do it
all online but would appreciate some recommendations.

I'd get a company that covers your house if you start the
kitchen on
fire when cooking SPAM. I kind of smell it here.

yeah, smells loke spam to me, too
posted from diybanter, too

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ChloeP , passerby wrote:
ChloeP.c9d93a9 wrote:

I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so I
want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal is due
in a month. Is that enough time?

As far as enough time - all it takes is a phone call to your current ins.
co. to tell them you are considering leaving. 5% is nothing compared to
some of the increases I've seen in the past, some of them prompting me to
leave, but most just prompting a call to an agent. Wasn't always able to
lower the premium but at least in half the cases I was. I think the most
common case is that your house is covered for a base that's higher than
the current market value - courtesy of the 2007-2008 housing market crush.
Never hurts to call and verify if the coverage makes sense given the
current market value.

In a more general sense: 2013 was a pretty calm year in terms of insurance
payouts: no Katrina or Sandy or anything of that scale. I wonder if
insurance companies are more willing to negotiate lower rates this year
(or just not raising the existing)?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ce-765965-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 09:57:58 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'd get a company that covers your house if you start the kitchen on
fire when cooking SPAM. I kind of smell it here.

+1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2013 7:37 AM, philo wrote:
On 10/11/2013 05:41 AM, ChloeP wrote:

I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so I
want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal is due
in a month. Is that enough time?

snip

I had a miserable experience with State Farm

try anything else

I have had super experience with State Farm for autos, home owners, and
businesses. In fact, I emailed them last night about new vehicle
insurance and got a reply with the premium amount this morning via email.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 13:40:28 -0500, IGot2P wrote:

On 10/11/2013 7:37 AM, philo wrote:
On 10/11/2013 05:41 AM, ChloeP wrote:

I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so I
want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal is due
in a month. Is that enough time?

snip

I had a miserable experience with State Farm

try anything else

I have had super experience with State Farm for autos, home owners, and
businesses. In fact, I emailed them last night about new vehicle
insurance and got a reply with the premium amount this morning via email.

Don

State farm is always on the ball when it comes to GETTING your money.
You don't know how good or bad any company is untill it's time for
them to GIVE you money. Around here (Kitchener Ontario) State Farm
has a bad rep from both claimants and shops doing their repairs. Part
of it may have to do with the agent, but a large part of it is the
corporate culture.

And insuring with a BANK??? Even worse. Daughter's boyfriend had is
pride and joy - a MINT Chrysler 300 stolen off his parents driveway,
wrecked, and burned. The cops found it before he even knew it was
missing and it took OVER FOUR MONTHS to get a settlement. That was
with RBC (Royal Bank) insurance. They didn't pay anything close to
what it was worth either
Posted to alt.home.repair

ChloeP wrote:

I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so
I want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal
is due in a month. Is that enough time?
Saw an ad for these 'Get the :: BEST HOME INSURANCE DEALS :: for your
house today!' (http://www.homeinsuroffers.com) so thought I'd do it
all online but would appreciate some recommendations.

I have had good experience with State Farm and Travelers. Around here
it is hard to switch because so many of the name companies won't insure
coastal properties anymore. I tried switching to USAA but they
wouldn't do it.

Frankly I don't think 5% is a great rate hike. If you insure your
autos or anything else with them you might get enough of a discount to
offset that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so I
want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal is due
in a month. Is that enough time?
Saw an ad for these 'Get the :: BEST HOME INSURANCE DEALS :: for your
house today!' (http://www.homeinsuroffers.com) so thought I'd do it all
online but would appreciate some recommendations.

I would avoid webpages with names like this. Find a company that
will be around when you have a claim. They have webpages too.

I would avoid anyone who spams the Usenet. Too bad you fell for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote:
ChloeP wrote:

I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so
I want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal
is due in a month. Is that enough time?
Saw an ad for these 'Get the :: BEST HOME INSURANCE DEALS :: for your
house today!' (http://www.homeinsuroffers.com) so thought I'd do it
all online but would appreciate some recommendations.

I have had good experience with State Farm and Travelers. Around here
it is hard to switch because so many of the name companies won't insure
coastal properties anymore. I tried switching to USAA but they
wouldn't do it.

Frankly I don't think 5% is a great rate hike. If you insure your
autos or anything else with them you might get enough of a discount to
offset that.

I had a couple claims with state farm auto. Recently my 2001 cavalier I
bought rebuilt in 2005 for $5k. Got totaled. They gave me $4800. I'm glad I
detailed it just before the wreck.

My home owners insurance through some company of a house I'm redoing just
got canceled. Among other things, they wanted occupancy. it's actually
still in effect for another ,14 days. I'm learning.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 11, 2013 5:41:02 AM UTC-5, ChloeP wrote:
I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so I want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal is due in a month. Is that enough time? Saw an ad for these 'Get the :: BEST HOME INSURANCE DEALS :: for your house today!' (http://www.homeinsuroffers.com) so thought I'd do it all online but would appreciate some recommendations. -- ChloeP

I wuld do my home with State Farm and take advantage of their multiple policies discount if you have State Farm for your auto. I have been very happy with State Farm auto, haven't had any claims on homeowners though. But it is so convenient to have just one company, you can get to know the local staff folks so much easier when there is only one set of people to meet and greet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 21:23:22 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/11/2013 4:59 PM, wrote:

And insuring with a BANK??? Even worse. Daughter's boyfriend had is
pride and joy - a MINT Chrysler 300 stolen off his parents driveway,
wrecked, and burned. The cops found it before he even knew it was
missing and it took OVER FOUR MONTHS to get a settlement. That was
with RBC (Royal Bank) insurance. They didn't pay anything close to
what it was worth either

Did it take four months to get an offer or to get an acceptable one?

To get the FIRST offer. For 4 months they were trying to find a way to
keep from having to pay.(anything) They knew what condition the car
was in.
Everyone I've ever heard of losing a car says the car was "mint" and it
is not.

I drove the car 3 weeks before it was stolen. Not a scratch on it -
not a scuff on the leather - you could have eaten off the engine. He's
a truck mechanic - and a VERY fussy one.

There also is no way to prove it was exceptional once it is
burned. To an insurance company it is just another average car with
value determined by averages in a book. If your car is exceptional you
have to prove it and maybe have a rider.

They had all the pictures. It was show condition

Very few cars are truly mint and I've never seen a daily driver that
was. It is an overused term usually misused.

They were trying to prove he had it stolen. Both sets of keys were
accounted for, and the insurance co didn't believe the car could be
stolen without the key, with the anti-theft system. Turns out there's
a code box that can generate the pats code or whatever in a matter of
seconds to minutes, bypassing the antitheft system.
The poor guy had to drive my wife's old Mystique (which we were ready
to scrap) until they paid up - and he bought an old GM Yukon. He
decided there was no way he was making payments on TWO cars when he
only had one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 19:09:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, October 11, 2013 5:41:02 AM UTC-5, ChloeP wrote:
I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so I want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal is due in a month. Is that enough time? Saw an ad for these 'Get the :: BEST HOME INSURANCE DEALS :: for your house today!' (http://www.homeinsuroffers.com) so thought I'd do it all online but would appreciate some recommendations. -- ChloeP

I wuld do my home with State Farm and take advantage of their multiple policies discount if you have State Farm for your auto. I have been very happy with State Farm auto, haven't had any claims on homeowners though. But it is so convenient to have just one company, you can get to know the local staff folks so much easier when there is only one set of people to meet and greet.

Generally - and I know it is a generalization - better to deal with
a broker rather than an agent or direct insurer. They can shop the
market if the rates from one company seem high. They work for YOU, not
an insurance company, and they represent YOU to the insurance company
when you have a claim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 07:07:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

When I was in college I had a Fiat Spyder convertible. I
considered what you're talking about, which is even worse
with a convertible. They can just slice the top. So, I
put an alarm in and always left it unlocked. The alarm
went off several times over the years, but they never
damaged the car.

Spyder was a nifty looking car.

My brother had a Chevy convertible. He lost a $5 pair of sunglasses
and a $200 top.

Over the years, I've had my car "opened" a few times. Total loss so
far is a quart of oil in the back of my Ghia. Couple of other times
the junk in the glove box was on the floor. Other cars on the street
had broken windows, pry marks on door frames.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ChloeP.c9d93a9 wrote:

[...]

Do you really think one year after paying out billions
over Sandy the insurance companies just forget about it?
They have to recover that money over many years, somehow.
And they know another one could come at any time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2013 7:55 PM, gregz wrote:
m wrote:
ChloeP wrote:

[...]

Recently someone posted
http://www.justice.org/docs/tenworst...ecompanies.pdf
which is a list of the 10 worst insurance companies from a trial lawyer
group.

Three of the companies advertize heavily on TV
All State
State Farm
Farmers

I have State Farm and have not had problems, but have had very few claims.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so I
want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal is due
in a month. Is that enough time?
Saw an ad for these 'Get the :: BEST HOME INSURANCE DEALS :: for your
house today!' (
http://www.homeinsuroffers.com) so thought I'd do it all
online but would appreciate some recommendations.

I would avoid webpages with names like this. Find a company that
will be around when you have a claim. They have webpages too.

I would avoid anyone who spams the Usenet. Too bad you fell for it.

Who says I fell for it? I knew the poster (who is no more likely to
be named Chloe than I am) was advertising his own webpage. But
convincing people of that is a harder task so I gave a reason easier
to convince people of to avoid the page.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 07:49:12 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/11/2013 11:09 PM, wrote:

They were trying to prove he had it stolen. Both sets of keys were
accounted for, and the insurance co didn't believe the car could be
stolen without the key, with the anti-theft system. Turns out there's
a code box that can generate the pats code or whatever in a matter of
seconds to minutes, bypassing the antitheft system.

Towtruck. Flatbed. Car missing in a couple
minutes, and no one saw anything out of the
ordinary.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

But that doesn't end up (usually) with the car wrecked and burned in
a ditch or gravel pit 30 miles away within a couple of hours.

What got the insurance co going off on a tangent is Pete paid more for
the car than they thought it was worth, and less than a year later
it's a total loss, and he has both sets of keys, and the insurance
settlement would ALMOST pay what he still owed (and he made a pretty
good down payment). They were thinking "buyers remorse" and "contract
disposal" and "insurance fraud" - and wouldn't even consider any other
possibilities.

He loved that car almost as much as my daughter, or his kids.
That daughter works in the insurance business - and is capable of
giving the offending insurance co some serious grief if she puts her
mind to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is our goal to provide you with the best resources for getting great
home insurance. We pride ourselves in our ability to get the best quotes
at the cheapest prices. We know that it is important to you that our
services be fast, reliable, and accurate. Each and every day we strive
to meet not only your high expectations, but also our own. Our systems
are always kept in top-notch shape to provide you with great home
insurance quotes. We always keep the customer in mind, and we will work
tirelessly to get you the best home insurance that your budget allows.
It is our sincere wish that you get the information you need from us,
and that you leave our site with at least some piece of information that
will lead you to a more secure and safe home insurance buying experience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 16:53:49 -0400, ng_reader
wrote:

It is our goal to provide you with the best resources for getting great
home insurance. We pride ourselves in our ability to get the best quotes
at the cheapest prices. We know that it is important to you that our
services be fast, reliable, and accurate. Each and every day we strive
to meet not only your high expectations, but also our own. Our systems
are always kept in top-notch shape to provide you with great home
insurance quotes. We always keep the customer in mind, and we will work
tirelessly to get you the best home insurance that your budget allows.
It is our sincere wish that you get the information you need from us,
and that you leave our site with at least some piece of information that
will lead you to a more secure and safe home insurance buying experience.

But since USENET is non commercial, SPAM postings are not welcome.
Reputable companies pay for advertising, sleazy ones look for
freebies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When I was in college I had a Fiat Spyder convertible. I
considered what you're talking about, which is even worse
with a convertible. They can just slice the top. So, I
put an alarm in and always left it unlocked. The alarm
went off several times over the years, but they never
damaged the car.

Spyder was a nifty looking car.

My brother had a Chevy convertible. He lost a $5 pair of sunglasses
and a $200 top.

Over the years, I've had my car "opened" a few times. Total loss so
far is a quart of oil in the back of my Ghia. Couple of other times
the junk in the glove box was on the floor. Other cars on the street
had broken windows, pry marks on door frames.

I lock the doors on our Mustang, even it we leave it with the top
down[*]. ;-)

If the doors are locked with the top down, the trunk-open button
doesn't work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When I was in college I had a Fiat Spyder convertible. I
considered what you're talking about, which is even worse
with a convertible. They can just slice the top. So, I
put an alarm in and always left it unlocked. The alarm
went off several times over the years, but they never
damaged the car.

Spyder was a nifty looking car.

My brother had a Chevy convertible. He lost a $5 pair of sunglasses
and a $200 top.

Over the years, I've had my car "opened" a few times. Total loss so
far is a quart of oil in the back of my Ghia. Couple of other times
the junk in the glove box was on the floor. Other cars on the street
had broken windows, pry marks on door frames.

Yep...I have had my cars broken into a number of times and they took
things like my prescription glasses and parking meter change.

Such idiocy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 19:10:06 -0500, philo* wrote:

On 10/11/2013 03:59 PM, wrote:

I had a miserable experience with State Farm

try anything else

I have had super experience with State Farm for autos, home owners, and
businesses. In fact, I emailed them last night about new vehicle
insurance and got a reply with the premium amount this morning via email.

Don

State farm is always on the ball when it comes to GETTING your money.
You don't know how good or bad any company is untill it's time for
them to GIVE you money. Around here (Kitchener Ontario) State Farm
has a bad rep from both claimants and shops doing their repairs. Part
of it may have to do with the agent, but a large part of it is the
corporate culture.

Yep...they sent a most disgusting agent to my house.
Any company that puts that little care in who they sent out into the
field will never get my business.

As I understand it, an "agency" is much like a "franchise". Someone
with a little bit of money wants to own their own business and decides
on insurance - goes to an insurance company and becomes a salesman for
that company and then pays for the opportunity to run their own office
- as an "agent" for that insurance company.

This is different than a "brokerage" where a company must represent,
or handle product from, a minimum of 3, or 5, or whatever number of
different companies, and they must be licenced and registered with
whatever professional association regulates the business in the state
or province the operate in. In Ontario a broker must be a member of
the Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario (IBAO), and all sales
persons and customer service representatives must also be licenced and
certified, which involves training and constant upgrading to maintain
the licence.

You might get a "disgusting" broker too - but in most brokerages they
get weeded out, or the brokerage doesn't last very long. (some
"brokerages" are one or two man operations, like many agencies, and
some agency offices are quite large - but on the whole , brokerages
are larger businesses than agencies)