Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT UPS battery protection

I have a UPS protecting my computer's power with three 12v 7a batteries.
Recently while I was away for a few hours the power went off and evidently
the UPS ran the batteries down and they failed. I had to replace them.
Perhaps they were about due for replacement anyway but I'll never know for
sure.

Anyhow, anyone aware of a timer of some sort I can use on the UPS so after
ten minutes (or whatever) after the AC goes off it turns off the UPS (or
cuts power to omputer)? If I'm there I'd shut down long before ten minutes.

Suggestions?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2013 1:18 PM, KenK wrote:
I have a UPS protecting my computer's power with three 12v 7a batteries.
Recently while I was away for a few hours the power went off and evidently
the UPS ran the batteries down and they failed. I had to replace them.
Perhaps they were about due for replacement anyway but I'll never know for
sure.

Anyhow, anyone aware of a timer of some sort I can use on the UPS so after
ten minutes (or whatever) after the AC goes off it turns off the UPS (or
cuts power to omputer)? If I'm there I'd shut down long before ten minutes.

Suggestions?

TIA

Offhand, I think there is something in the UPS software to shut your
computer down gracefully. I've never had the problem but I always turn
my computers off when not in use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2013 12:18 PM, KenK wrote:
I have a UPS protecting my computer's power with three 12v 7a batteries.
Recently while I was away for a few hours the power went off and evidently
the UPS ran the batteries down and they failed. I had to replace them.
Perhaps they were about due for replacement anyway but I'll never know for
sure.

Anyhow, anyone aware of a timer of some sort I can use on the UPS so after
ten minutes (or whatever) after the AC goes off it turns off the UPS (or
cuts power to omputer)? If I'm there I'd shut down long before ten minutes.

Suggestions?

TIA

Most backup power supplies have a serial or USB connector for
communicating with the computer. The software CD that is supplied with
the UPS will have a program for monitoring the power and can shut down
the computer after a set period of time or if the battery capacity
reaches a certain point. If you post the make and model number of your
UPS, I may know the characteristics of your unit because I have dozens
of them around here and I picked up a case of batteries yesterday to
repair some of my 1kw+ UPS systems. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 10/9/2013 1:18 PM, KenK wrote:
[...]

If your UPS is APC, you can use their Powerchute program to set the time
for shutting down. I use 5 minutes on mine. I also have a Belkin UPS
which has its own shutdown software.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK writes:
I have a UPS protecting my computer's power with three 12v 7a batteries.
Recently while I was away for a few hours the power went off and evidently
the UPS ran the batteries down and they failed. I had to replace them.
Perhaps they were about due for replacement anyway but I'll never know for
sure.

Anyhow, anyone aware of a timer of some sort I can use on the UPS so after
ten minutes (or whatever) after the AC goes off it turns off the UPS (or
cuts power to omputer)? If I'm there I'd shut down long before ten minutes.

Suggestions?

TIA

Most quality UPS will come with a software application you can load on your
computer that will shutdown the computer after it has been ON-BATTERY for a
configurable amount of time (c.f. Powerchute).

UPS batteries should last 3 years in a consumer-grade UPS, and 5 years
in a commercial grade UPS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

[...]

Ancient Emerson UPS 600. No software I am aware of. No manual and I can't
find one on line with Google. There is a Liebert but I'm pretty this is a
different (and very large commercial) UPS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in
:

On 10/9/2013 1:18 PM, KenK wrote:
I have a UPS protecting my computer's power with three 12v 7a
batteries. Recently while I was away for a few hours the power went
off and evidently the UPS ran the batteries down and they failed. I
had to replace them. Perhaps they were about due for replacement
anyway but I'll never know for sure.

Anyhow, anyone aware of a timer of some sort I can use on the UPS so
after ten minutes (or whatever) after the AC goes off it turns off
the UPS (or cuts power to omputer)? If I'm there I'd shut down long
before ten minutes.

Suggestions?

TIA

Offhand, I think there is something in the UPS software to shut your
computer down gracefully. I've never had the problem but I always
turn my computers off when not in use.

Ancient Emerson UPS 600. No software I am aware of. No manual and I can't
find one on line with Google. There is a Liebert (evidently they bought
Emerson?) but I'm pretty this is a different (and very large commercial)
UPS.

I left it on for years while I am regularly away for a couple of hours in
the morning. No lengthy power outages. Now I turn off the system while
I'm away just in case but it is a PITA to reboot the system and restart
all the software most every morning on my slow ancient system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 13:40:07 -0400, Arnie Goetchius
wrote:

If your UPS is APC, you can use their Powerchute program to set the time
for shutting down.

The other day I was trying to recall the "Powerchute" program. It
wrote a log file for review. After a brownout power surge it recorded
the voltage that hit the system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2013 10:59 AM, KenK wrote:
Frank wrote in
:

On 10/9/2013 1:18 PM, KenK wrote:
I have a UPS protecting my computer's power with three 12v 7a
batteries. Recently while I was away for a few hours the power went
off and evidently the UPS ran the batteries down and they failed.

What's your definition of failed? Open? Won't charge? low capacity?
How long since your last test run?

I've only had half a dozen UPS's over the years, but ALL of them had
low-battery
shutoff that prevents battery failure from over-discharge.
Failure from long-term overcharge is another issue.

Get one with a port and software that can shut off the computer.

My UPS battery has been "dead" for years. Runs the system for almost
a minute. Around here, we have two types of outages:
1)glitches lasting a second or less that auto-reset themselves.
My UPS works great on those.
2)Those that don't auto-reset and will take hours for manual fix.
With a good battery, mine still wouldn't last long enough for those.
If I press the sleep button before going out, it lasts much longer.

Don't remember anything a chkdsk or fsck wouldn't fix...but there's
still a recent backup justincase.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2013 1:40 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 10/9/2013 1:18 PM, KenK wrote:
[...]

I recall seeing the programs but never installed them on the three
computers I have connected to them.

Got my first, an APC, many years ago which has since gone bad. Loss of
power while computer was running had caused disasters before I had the
APC. Newer machines might be better but I'd never take the risk again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

[...]

Does your Emerson 600 have either a serial port or a USB port? If yes,
then somewhere there is software that will control the UPS 600. If there
are no ports, then there is no software and you can stop looking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

[...]

See if this works:
http://www.emersonnetworkpower.com/e...nSoftware.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
I have a UPS protecting my computer's power with three 12v 7a batteries.
Recently while I was away for a few hours the power went off and evidently
the UPS ran the batteries down and they failed. I had to replace them.
Perhaps they were about due for replacement anyway but I'll never know for
sure.

Anyhow, anyone aware of a timer of some sort I can use on the UPS so after
ten minutes (or whatever) after the AC goes off it turns off the UPS (or
cuts power to omputer)? If I'm there I'd shut down long before ten minutes.

Suggestions?

TIA

The ups should shut down before battery rundown. Even with software, it
still needs shutdown, monitor, etc.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Oct 2013 17:18:11 GMT, KenK wrote:

I have a UPS protecting my computer's power with three 12v 7a batteries.
Recently while I was away for a few hours the power went off and evidently
the UPS ran the batteries down and they failed. I had to replace them.
Perhaps they were about due for replacement anyway but I'll never know for
sure.

Anyhow, anyone aware of a timer of some sort I can use on the UPS so after
ten minutes (or whatever) after the AC goes off it turns off the UPS (or
cuts power to omputer)? If I'm there I'd shut down long before ten minutes.

Suggestions?

TIA

A REAL ups has monitoring software that when knstalled on the
computer shuts it down before the battery goes dead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Oct 2013 17:59:44 GMT, KenK wrote:

I left it on for years while I am regularly away for a couple of hours in
the morning. No lengthy power outages. Now I turn off the system while
I'm away just in case but it is a PITA to reboot the system and restart
all the software most every morning on my slow ancient system.

Have you tried Hiberrnate. I use it all the time. Takes much
less time and you don't have to do anything, so if it does take time,
you can be getting coffee or something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Arnie Goetchius wrote in
:

KenK wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

[...]

It has a nine-pin female connector marked 'Status'. That's it. With no
manual I have no idea what it's for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

On 9 Oct 2013 17:59:44 GMT, KenK wrote:

I left it on for years while I am regularly away for a couple of hours
in the morning. No lengthy power outages. Now I turn off the system
while I'm away just in case but it is a PITA to reboot the system and
restart all the software most every morning on my slow ancient system.

Have you tried Hiberrnate. I use it all the time. Takes much
less time and you don't have to do anything, so if it does take time,
you can be getting coffee or something.

I'll have to check into that. I never tried it but recall reading about
it many years ago. Thanks for the tip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Oct 2013 16:19:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

Ancient Emerson UPS 600. No software I am aware of. No manual and I
can't find one on line with Google. There is a Liebert but I'm pretty
this is a different (and very large commercial) UPS.

Does your Emerson 600 have either a serial port or a USB port? If yes,
then somewhere there is software that will control the UPS 600. If
there are no ports, then there is no software and you can stop
looking.

It has a nine-pin female connector marked 'Status'. That's it. With no
manual I have no idea what it's for.

The 9-pin connector is for a serial cable.

(now you can buy 9-pin (one end) with USB on the other end)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 06:48:44 -0400, micky
wrote:

On 9 Oct 2013 17:59:44 GMT, KenK wrote:

I left it on for years while I am regularly away for a couple of hours in
the morning. No lengthy power outages. Now I turn off the system while
I'm away just in case but it is a PITA to reboot the system and restart
all the software most every morning on my slow ancient system.

Have you tried Hiberrnate. I use it all the time. Takes much
less time and you don't have to do anything, so if it does take time,
you can be getting coffee or something.

It can take a significant amount of time for memory to be reloaded
from disk and the system reinitialized when coming out of hibernate.
Sleep mode is almost instantaneous, though. It still takes my laptop
a minute to reconnect to the wireless network, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2013 11:36 AM, Oren wrote:
On 10 Oct 2013 16:19:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

Ancient Emerson UPS 600. No software I am aware of. No manual and I
can't find one on line with Google. There is a Liebert but I'm pretty
this is a different (and very large commercial) UPS.

Does your Emerson 600 have either a serial port or a USB port? If yes,
then somewhere there is software that will control the UPS 600. If
there are no ports, then there is no software and you can stop
looking.

It has a nine-pin female connector marked 'Status'. That's it. With no
manual I have no idea what it's for.

The 9-pin connector is for a serial cable.

(now you can buy 9-pin (one end) with USB on the other end)

I have a number of UPS units and many of them are the APC brand. Most of
the newer small APC units will have a special serial comm cable with an
RJ45 plug on one end and a 9 pin serial plug on the other. The RJ45
plugs into the UPS and standard 9 pin serial plug goes to the PC. My
larger APC UPS units have or may have both a standard 9 pin serial and a
standard USB jack on them for computer monitoring. I took a look at
one of my 1kw UPS units, it had only a 9 pin serial connector, my 750w
APC unit has both 9 pin serial and a USP socket. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
Arnie Goetchius wrote in
:

KenK wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

[...]

Good. Get a serial cable and connect it to your computer and then
install the software located he
http://www.emersonnetworkpower.com/e...nSoftware.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2013 12:19 PM, KenK wrote:
Arnie Goetchius wrote in
:

KenK wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

[...]

DB9 is a standard serial connection.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 21:51:42 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

On 10/10/2013 12:19 PM, KenK wrote:
Arnie Goetchius wrote in
:

KenK wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

[...]

The standard is a DB25 but there is a smaller variant, the DE9. A DB9
would be the same size as a DB25 and as many of these mini-D shell
connectors as I've used, I've never seen a DB9. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9 Oct 2013 17:59:44 GMT, KenK wrote:

I left it on for years while I am regularly away for a couple of
hours in the morning. No lengthy power outages. Now I turn off the
system while I'm away just in case but it is a PITA to reboot the
system and restart all the software most every morning on my slow
ancient system.

Have you tried Hiberrnate. I use it all the time. Takes much
less time and you don't have to do anything, so if it does take time,
you can be getting coffee or something.

It can take a significant amount of time for memory to be reloaded
from disk and the system reinitialized when coming out of hibernate.
Sleep mode is almost instantaneous, though. It still takes my laptop
a minute to reconnect to the wireless network, though.

Will it automatically reconnect to a dial-up?

I tried hibernate during shutdown by using the shift key and 'hiberbate'
button instead of 'shut down'. But that wasn't helpful because I still
had to start everything up and reconnect to dial up as usual when I woke
it up. I need to see if it will hibernate when all my usual software is
running and I'm on line.

Hibernate IS shutdown.
The magic happens on restart.

Boot is an interactive process with the hardware that programs all those
flip-flops to the states required for operation in the proper sequence.

Restart from hibernate reads the memory state back off the disk and
reinstates it.
I don't know the details, but there's surely something that attempts
to get all the hardware back into the required states.

Problem with dialup is that you may not know the internal states of the
modem or the phone system or the ISP at shutdown or restart.
I'd put an icon on the desktop to restart the internet.
There's probably a way to put it in the resume from hibernate process,
but likely not worth the effort to learn all that.

That's why I gave up on hibernate years ago. Worked well when
16MB of ram was the norm. With a lot of ram, it can take nearly as long
to read if back off the disk as to boot.

Measure the power consumption of your system in sleep mode.
Mine's 10-watts.
Doesn't take a huge battery to keep it alive for a prolonged power outage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2013 9:36 AM, Oren wrote:
On 10 Oct 2013 16:19:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

Ancient Emerson UPS 600. No software I am aware of. No manual and I
can't find one on line with Google. There is a Liebert but I'm pretty
this is a different (and very large commercial) UPS.

Does your Emerson 600 have either a serial port or a USB port? If yes,
then somewhere there is software that will control the UPS 600. If
there are no ports, then there is no software and you can stop
looking.

It has a nine-pin female connector marked 'Status'. That's it. With no
manual I have no idea what it's for.

The 9-pin connector is for a serial cable.

Stick your scope on pins 2 or 3 and see what comes out when the system
changes state. I've had UPS's that had 9-pins, but the cable that
came with them didn't have standard pinout.
And sometimes it's not serial at all, but static levels applied to
serial status pins that can be sensed.

More modern ones will likely have serial ports and more more modern ones
USB.

(now you can buy 9-pin (one end) with USB on the other end)

Even if this isn't exactly what you have, reading the manual might be
educational. Contacting the vendor about legacy products is an option.

http://www.emersonnetworkpower-partn...Y/default.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There is a big difference between "sleep" and "hibernate". Sleep is
a low power operating state, with HDD and screen shut off and
processor "idling" - Hibernate is system state saved, and system shut
down - no processor activity.

Some systems support "wake on ring" or "boot on ring" to start the
computer by calling the modem. Pretty dodgy from distant past memory.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:

On 10/10/2013 12:19 PM, KenK wrote:

Arnie Goetchius wrote in

:

KenK wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote in

:

[...]

I've always heard it called a DB9 and never a DE9.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Sta...Fc2f4AodhUoADQ
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9 Oct 2013 17:59:44 GMT, KenK wrote:

I left it on for years while I am regularly away for a couple of
hours in the morning. No lengthy power outages. Now I turn off the
system while I'm away just in case but it is a PITA to reboot the
system and restart all the software most every morning on my slow
ancient system.

Have you tried Hiberrnate. I use it all the time. Takes much
less time and you don't have to do anything, so if it does take time,
you can be getting coffee or something.

It can take a significant amount of time for memory to be reloaded
from disk and the system reinitialized when coming out of hibernate.
Sleep mode is almost instantaneous, though. It still takes my laptop
a minute to reconnect to the wireless network, though.

Will it automatically reconnect to a dial-up?

Dial up? I don't believe I've ever connected it to a phone line.

I tried hibernate during shutdown by using the shift key and 'hiberbate'
button instead of 'shut down'. But that wasn't helpful because I still
had to start everything up and reconnect to dial up as usual when I woke
it up. I need to see if it will hibernate when all my usual software is
running and I'm on line.

First, don't use hibernate. Use sleep. Second, there is no way it'll
maintain the connection when in either sleep or hibernate. It will at
least have to redial.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No. Hibernate saves state to the disk before shutting down.

The magic happens on restart.

It also happens when going into hibernate. If you shut down the
current state isn't saved so there is no way to restore.

Boot is an interactive process with the hardware that programs all those
flip-flops to the states required for operation in the proper sequence.

Restart from hibernate reads the memory state back off the disk and
reinstates it.

Yes, but that state (and the system state) have to be saved before
they can be restored.

I don't know the details, but there's surely something that attempts
to get all the hardware back into the required states.

Yes.

Problem with dialup is that you may not know the internal states of the
modem or the phone system or the ISP at shutdown or restart.

The phone system is the issue. You don't control Ma. ;-)

I'd put an icon on the desktop to restart the internet.
There's probably a way to put it in the resume from hibernate process,
but likely not worth the effort to learn all that.

You don't want hibernate. Use sleep. A computer will reconnect to
the Internet if you're using some "always on" system, like a cable
modem, or DSL. It just takes my laptop longer than I'd like. My
netbook reconnects almost immediately on waking up (from sleep mode).

That's why I gave up on hibernate years ago. Worked well when
16MB of ram was the norm. With a lot of ram, it can take nearly as long
to read if back off the disk as to boot.

That's why you use sleep instead of hibernate.

Measure the power consumption of your system in sleep mode.
Mine's 10-watts.

That sounds high but so what?

Doesn't take a huge battery to keep it alive for a prolonged power outage.

Right. I have mine set to wake up from sleep and go into hibernate
if the batteries go too low.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but wake up on LAN seems to work fairly well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
The standard is a DB25 but there is a smaller variant, the DE9. A DB9

would be the same size as a DB25 and as many of these mini-D shell

connectors as I've used, I've never seen a DB9. ;-)

I've always heard it called a DB9 and never a DE9.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Sta...Fc2f4AodhUoADQ

You have always heard it called the wrong thing then. It is a DE-9 , but
almost always called a DB-9.

There are atleast 5 of the D connectors. DA,DB,DC,DD,DE.
http://www.engineersgarage.com/tutorials/d-connectors

Almost every one does call them DB connectors even though it is wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What should a 2.8 GHZ quad-core desktop draw in sleep?
It's 3W when OFF.

Doesn't take a huge battery to keep it alive for a prolonged power outage.

Right. I have mine set to wake up from sleep and go into hibernate
if the batteries go too low.

I've not had much success with that.
With aging batteries and a battery gauge that seems ok down to 50% then
drops instantly to 0. I've often had the thing shut down before completing
the hibernate save.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 19:27:50 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"N8N" wrote in message
The standard is a DB25 but there is a smaller variant, the DE9. A DB9

would be the same size as a DB25 and as many of these mini-D shell

connectors as I've used, I've never seen a DB9. ;-)

I've always heard it called a DB9 and never a DE9.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Sta...Fc2f4AodhUoADQ

You have always heard it called the wrong thing then. It is a DE-9 , but
almost always called a DB-9.

There are atleast 5 of the D connectors. DA,DB,DC,DD,DE.
http://www.engineersgarage.com/tutorials/d-connectors

Almost every one does call them DB connectors even though it is wrong.

OK, what is the 15 pin high density D connector used for VGA
called????

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"N8N" wrote in message
The standard is a DB25 but there is a smaller variant, the DE9. A DB9

would be the same size as a DB25 and as many of these mini-D shell

connectors as I've used, I've never seen a DB9. ;-)

I've always heard it called a DB9 and never a DE9.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Sta...Fc2f4AodhUoADQ

You have always heard it called the wrong thing then. It is a DE-9 , but
almost always called a DB-9.

There are atleast 5 of the D connectors. DA,DB,DC,DD,DE.
http://www.engineersgarage.com/tutorials/d-connectors

Almost every one does call them DB connectors even though it is wrong.

Actually it depends on the manufacturer. Technically they are sub D
connectors, and the hiigh density Sub D cunnectors are generally
referred to as either HD or DH - most commonly HD. Some manufacturers
call all sub D connectors as DB, 8, 15, 25, 37 or 50 pin standard
density.
Cannon invented the sub-d connector and the Cannon nomenclature is as
you stated - but virtually every other producer uses the DB
designation, rightly or wrongly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

3W. Tops! The CPU doesn't matter much. It's all but dead in any
case.

It's 3W when OFF.

There really isn't much difference.

Doesn't take a huge battery to keep it alive for a prolonged power outage.

Right. I have mine set to wake up from sleep and go into hibernate
if the batteries go too low.

I've not had much success with that.
With aging batteries and a battery gauge that seems ok down to 50% then
drops instantly to 0. I've often had the thing shut down before completing
the hibernate save.

What can I tell you? Crap sells too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"N8N" wrote in message
The standard is a DB25 but there is a smaller variant, the DE9. A DB9

would be the same size as a DB25 and as many of these mini-D shell

connectors as I've used, I've never seen a DB9. ;-)

I've always heard it called a DB9 and never a DE9.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Sta...Fc2f4AodhUoADQ

You have always heard it called the wrong thing then. It is a DE-9 , but
almost always called a DB-9.

There are atleast 5 of the D connectors. DA,DB,DC,DD,DE.
http://www.engineersgarage.com/tutorials/d-connectors

Almost every one does call them DB connectors even though it is wrong.

OK, what is the 15 pin high density D connector used for VGA
called????

DE-15. It's size is "DE" and 15-pins.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"N8N" wrote in message
[...]

They are wrong. The second letter is the size of the shell, with the
number of pins following.

Cannon invented the sub-d connector and the Cannon nomenclature is as
you stated - but virtually every other producer uses the DB
designation, rightly or wrongly.

Wrongly. No surprise though, many connectors have messed up street
names.