Posted to alt.home.repair

Default soil under driveway eroded away

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:41:23 -0400, willshak
wrote:

First, finds out why it is eroding.
There might be an aquifer running under the driveway which will continue
to erode whatever you put under there.
Divert that source.

When i lived in an indianapolis suburb, I was looking at the city map
and finally noticed a stream that ran near my house, a stream I had
never seen in person.. I walked 3 lots, 300 feet, to the south and
couldn't exactly find a stream, but boy was their back yard wet.
Probably the reason our crawlspace never dried out, and our back yard
was soaking wet a month or two each year.

There were probably fish in their crawl space.

I never looked in their front yard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

First, finds out why it is eroding.
There might be an aquifer running under the driveway which will continue
to erode whatever you put under there.
Divert that source.

When i lived in an indianapolis suburb, I was looking at the city map
and finally noticed a stream that ran near my house, a stream I had
never seen in person.. I walked 3 lots, 300 feet, to the south and
couldn't exactly find a stream, but boy was their back yard wet.

Not the OP's question but if the stream was on the map, doesn't that
mean it was probably a visible stream when the home builder got there?
And rather than "waste" a lot, he just poured dirt into the stream
until the stream disappeared, and then built the house, and sold it
maybe in August when it hadn't rained for 2 months?

The land was flat, like most of central Indiana.

Probably the reason our crawlspace never dried out, and our back yard
was soaking wet a month or two each year.

The crawlspace was short enough that even a 10-year old boy had to
bend over to walk around. What is that, 3 feet?