Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI won't reset after replacing switch

I have a circuit in the house we just moves into that controls the outside lights, light over the front door, light on post, light over garage, and an outdoor GFCI receptacle that low voltage lights along the walkway are plugged into.

In anticipation of winter I went and bought a timer switch so these lights would be on when I came home. After I put the switch in everything worked except for the GFCI outlet. There is an orange light on it and pushing the reset does nothing. I have to believe that the installation of the switch had something to do with this as it all worked fine before.

What could I have done wrong? House is 1970's vintage with old/new electrical in it.

-Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Might be the switch isn't compatible. Could be not your fault.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/7/2013 11:56 AM, jtpr wrote:
I have a circuit in the house we just moves into that controls the outside lights, light over the front door, light on post, light over garage, and an outdoor GFCI receptacle that low voltage lights along the walkway are plugged into.

In anticipation of winter I went and bought a timer switch so these lights would be on when I came home. After I put the switch in everything worked except for the GFCI outlet. There is an orange light on it and pushing the reset does nothing. I have to believe that the installation of the switch had something to do with this as it all worked fine before.

What could I have done wrong? House is 1970's vintage with old/new electrical in it.

-Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

"jtpr" wrote in message

In anticipation of winter I went and bought a timer switch so these lights
would be on when I came home. After I put the switch in everything worked
except for the GFCI outlet. There is an orange light on it and pushing the
reset does nothing. I have to believe that the installation of the switch
had something to do with this as it all worked fine before.

What brand/model is the timer switch and the GFCI?

The GFCI manual would tell you the meaning of the light. Or use a multi
meter to measure the voltage going into the GFCI and to make sure the
polarity is correct.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jtpr wrote:
I have a circuit in the house we just moves into that controls the outside lights, light over the front door, light on post, light over garage, and an outdoor GFCI receptacle that low voltage lights along the walkway are plugged into.

In anticipation of winter I went and bought a timer switch so these lights would be on when I came home. After I put the switch in everything worked except for the GFCI outlet. There is an orange light on it and pushing the reset does nothing. I have to believe that the installation of the switch had something to do with this as it all worked fine before.

What could I have done wrong? House is 1970's vintage with old/new electrical in it.

-Jim

Hi,
To prove the new timer switch is the cause, remove it and see. Some
timers contain SS components which can cause problem like that. Is the
switch before the GFCI or after? That makes difference too. All our
outside lights are dusk to dawn light sensor controlled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2013 11:56 AM, jtpr wrote:
I have a circuit in the house we just moves into that controls the outside lights, light over the front door, light on post, light over garage, and an outdoor GFCI receptacle that low voltage lights along the walkway are plugged into.

In anticipation of winter I went and bought a timer switch so these lights would be on when I came home. After I put the switch in everything worked except for the GFCI outlet. There is an orange light on it and pushing the reset does nothing. I have to believe that the installation of the switch had something to do with this as it all worked fine before.

What could I have done wrong? House is 1970's vintage with old/new electrical in it.

-Jim

Assuming that this GFCI receptacle is on the load side of this timer,
like all the other things mentioned. As gfretwell said, the power must
be on when you attempt to reset a newer GFCI receptacle. You could have
reversed the polarity to the GFCI receptacle, when installing the timer,
or it could have just gone bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 10:19:17 -0700, "bob" wrote:

The GFCI manual would tell you the meaning of the light.

On mine, outside, the light indicates the GFCI is alive and powered.

2 cents.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
jtpr wrote:

I have a circuit in the house we just moves into that controls the outside
lights, light over the front door, light on post, light over garage, and an
outdoor GFCI receptacle that low voltage lights along the walkway are plugged
into.

In anticipation of winter I went and bought a timer switch so these lights
would be on when I came home. After I put the switch in everything worked
except for the GFCI outlet. There is an orange light on it and pushing the
reset does nothing. I have to believe that the installation of the switch
had something to do with this as it all worked fine before.

What could I have done wrong? House is 1970's vintage with old/new
electrical in it.

Jim-

Some GFCI outlets can provide protection for additional non-GFCI
outlets. The outlet has a "Line" end where power from your breaker box
is connected. If needed, additional outlets would be connected to the
"Load" end of the GFCI outlet.

One reason your GFCI outlet will not reset, might be that you connected
power from your breaker box to the "Load" end of the outlet.

As others mentioned, power must be present for a GFCI to reset.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 18:04:07 -0400, Fred McKenzie
wrote:

One reason your GFCI outlet will not reset, might be that you connected
power from your breaker box to the "Load" end of the outlet.

Sorry. The OP did not say he changed or tinkered with the load side
from the breaker.

He changed a switch, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

And electronic dimmer switch. Not just a toggle.

"surge suppressor" and "surge protector"

..
Christopher A. Young