Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home made tool - youtube video of it, over a million hits

What do you think, will you make one of these to replace your bench
grinder?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ5Fu7TYuGQ
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashton Crusher wrote:
What do you think, will you make one of these to replace your bench
grinder?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ5Fu7TYuGQ

Having recently spent a few hours cleaning the rust off some odd shaped
trailer parts (strap hinges, lock hasp, etc.) using a 6" inch wire wheel on
bench grinder, I can see that that set up would not have worked. I needed
to attack the parts from more angles than that set up would safely allow.

Therefore, while it's an interesting set up, and Saied is right in stating
that a bench grinder is weak(er), I won't be replacing my bench grinder
anytime soon. In fact, considering how close to the wire wheel my hands
sometimes got - even touching a few times - the weakness is probably a good
thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't have the welding skills, to make the jig.

Have to stick with my bench grinder, for now. I do
have angle grinder, but holding it hasn't been an
issue.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 8/11/2013 4:13 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
What do you think, will you make one of these to replace your bench
grinder?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ5Fu7TYuGQ

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ashton,

That's not a bench grinder, not even close. Do you mean angle grinder? It
looks like an angle grinder. I like the handles.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 01:13:58 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

What do you think, will you make one of these to replace your bench
grinder?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ5Fu7TYuGQ

No.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 10:22:38 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Ashton,

That's not a bench grinder, not even close. Do you mean angle grinder? It
looks like an angle grinder. I like the handles.

Dave M.

The guy who made said it was to replace his bench grinder, not that it
was a bench grinder. Although once it's clamped in the vise it's more
or less a bench grinder, just with more open space around the wheel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David L. Martel" wrote:
Ashton,

That's not a bench grinder, not even close. Do you mean angle grinder? It
looks like an angle grinder. I like the handles.

Dave M.

You missed the point of the question or didn't listen to the speaker in the
video. The guy who built the tool said that he no longer uses his bench
grinder since he rigged up his angle grinder with extra handles.

Ashton was asking if anyone would do the same thing.

My answer was no. While that set-up has its uses, there are things I can do
with my bench grinder that I wouldn't try with the angle grinder in a vice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ashton,

That's not a bench grinder, not even close. Do you mean angle grinder? It
looks like an angle grinder. I like the handles.

Dave M.

The guy who made said it was to replace his bench grinder, not that it
was a bench grinder. Although once it's clamped in the vise it's more
or less a bench grinder, just with more open space around the wheel.

Actually, if you take the guard off of a bench grinder, you can have a
fully exposed wheel. My grinding wheel has the guard installed, but my wire
wheel is wide open.