Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bizarre toilet leaking problem

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 13:53:07 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

...snip...

Bought a couple of these about a year ago.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
One for laundry tub to catch lint, because I had to unclog that drain
too, and one for the bath tub.

...snip...

Don't know how she cleans the one on the laundry tub, but she does.

She turns it over and rinses out the lint so that it goes down the drain.
;-)

Since she helped me snake the drain there, and saw it was all lint
blocking it, and talked about how that should be filtered, don't think
so.
Pretty sure she holds it over the trash container by the tub and rubs
it off into there. I know she's bitched once about having to reach
into the water and pull out drek because it got clogged and she was
afraid the tub could overflow.
Once. So I figure she solved that by regular cleaning.
But I'll ask.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 19:07:04 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

On 8/5/2013 12:10 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 08:38:26 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

1. Check your vent. That’s that black pipe sticking out from the roof, to see it it’s clear.

I'll haul out the ladder and check. (Easy to do since it's a ranch house.)

A water hose is a very good way to clear or check the vent pipe. Run
the water and a helper can listen at the toilet and watch for possible
water.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion.

A man in Florida used to get tree frogs down his vent pipe(s), usually
during heavy rains but not always. His toilet would not flush well so
he ran the frogs out with a water hose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 03:42:23 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Really? Since windows have to be installed plumb to both operate smoothly
and be covered under their warranty, I can foresee problems with a out of
plumb wall. Somewhere along the way, something isn't going to fit right.
With a plumb window in an out of plumb wall, some trim or some framing or
something is going to be "a problem".

+1

The problem is finding the problem - the wall in not plumb

A real PITA...BTDT for a door on new construction.

I know of some other calamities.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 wrote:
On 8/5/2013 11:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Rebel1 wrote:

The off-vertical wall I mentioned is an interior wall (no window). The
outside ones are much closer to vertical. A uniform slope (i.e., the same
on both side of the window) wouldn't cause a problem.

Really? Since windows have to be installed plumb to both operate smoothly
and be covered under their warranty, I can foresee problems with a out of
plumb wall. Somewhere along the way, something isn't going to fit right.
With a plumb window in an out of plumb wall, some trim or some framing or
something is going to be "a problem".

I'm missing something. If I go to a window showroom and take an
uninstalled window and lay it horizontally, why shouldn't the sashes work
as long as nothing is trying to distort (twist or rack) the frame from
its rectangular shape?

For a list of problems that might occur with various types of windows if
they are not installed square, level and plumb, read section 2 of this
installation instruction:

http://simonton.com/sites/Simonton/F...structions.pdf

In addition, check the warranty data from just about any window company.
They will typically state that failure to install the window square, level
and plumb will void the warranty.

Yes, the sashes may "work" if the window is laid horizontally, but the
locks may not, the weather stripping may not do it's job, condensation may
flow to where it is not designed to flow, etc.

Remember, gravity sucks. A out of plumb window will have the force of
gravity acting on it in ways it was not designed for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/5/2013 12:10 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 08:38:26 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

1. Check your vent. ThatÂ’s that black pipe sticking out from the
roof, to see it itÂ’s clear.

I'll haul out the ladder and check. (Easy to do since it's a ranch house.)

A water hose is a very good way to clear or check the vent pipe. Run
the water and a helper can listen at the toilet and watch for possible
water.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion.

A man in Florida used to get tree frogs down his vent pipe(s), usually
during heavy rains but not always. His toilet would not flush well so
he ran the frogs out with a water hose.

Frognado?

If you want to waste a perfectly good evening, rent the 1972 movie "Frogs".

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Fr...9?locale=en-US

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

[...]

You were closer than me. I was over by the wash tub, and didn't see
the strainer anywhere. I asked her, and she said it was around
somewhere, but she wasn't using it.
Said the wash cycle draining clogged it enough she was worried about
the rinse cycle overflowing the tub. She didn't want to babysit the
cycles. Also said it was a PITA to clean.
I said "You know that drain is going to clog up again?"
She said "Yeah" in a guilty tone.
I left it at that. She's got plenty of other stuff to worry about.
Next time she does the wash I'l babysit it and figure it out. I don't
think the rinse cycle will overflow the tub. It's a big one.
I'll see how long the tub takes to finally drain, and figure out an
easy way to clean the strainer.
No, I won't be turning it over and rinsing the lint down the drain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

1. Check your vent. That?s that black pipe sticking out from the
roof, to see it it?s clear.

I'll haul out the ladder and check. (Easy to do since it's a ranch house.)

A water hose is a very good way to clear or check the vent pipe. Run
the water and a helper can listen at the toilet and watch for possible
water.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion.

A man in Florida used to get tree frogs down his vent pipe(s), usually
during heavy rains but not always. His toilet would not flush well so
he ran the frogs out with a water hose.

Frognado?

No, they just hang out in the pipes. this is not the case I spoke
about above.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-n1l-DIYnO54/TYbvaPsjs4I/AAAAAAAAAiI/R_V_iNMXIP4/s1600/perons+tree+frog+e+in+pipe+DSC_8788.jpg

If you want to waste a perfectly good evening, rent the 1972 movie "Frogs".

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Fr...9?locale=en-US

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 19:55:19 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I'm missing something. If I go to a window showroom and take an
uninstalled window and lay it horizontally, why shouldn't the sashes work
as long as nothing is trying to distort (twist or rack) the frame from
its rectangular shape?

For a list of problems that might occur with various types of windows if
they are not installed square, level and plumb, read section 2 of this
installation instruction:

http://simonton.com/sites/Simonton/F...structions.pdf

In addition, check the warranty data from just about any window company.
They will typically state that failure to install the window square, level
and plumb will void the warranty.

Plus, some companies require the window be installed by a factory
trained installer - DIY may change the warranty. It depends.

Yes, the sashes may "work" if the window is laid horizontally, but the
locks may not, the weather stripping may not do it's job, condensation may
flow to where it is not designed to flow, etc.

Remember, gravity sucks. A out of plumb window will have the force of
gravity acting on it in ways it was not designed for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the link. Looking at Figures A, B, and C, none check that the
wall is plumb. Zoom in on Figure A, and you'll see that the two bubbles
in each level could be centered, but the wall itself could be out of
plumb. For checking the wall, one of the levels would have to be turned
90 degrees. The instructions don't really address wall plumbness.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 14:35:09 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

Thanks for the link. Looking at Figures A, B, and C, none check that the
wall is plumb. Zoom in on Figure A, and you'll see that the two bubbles
in each level could be centered, but the wall itself could be out of
plumb. For checking the wall, one of the levels would have to be turned
90 degrees. The instructions don't really address wall plumbness.

Installing doors and windows is something learned.
If the wall is not plumb, put the bad side inside the closet.

Know how to use the levels and know which one to use...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

Installing doors and windows is something learned.
If the wall is not plumb, put the bad side inside the closet.

Know how to use the levels and know which one to use...

You mean I shouldn't be using this when I install a door?

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-line-level-67765.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 00:33:49 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Oren wrote:

Installing doors and windows is something learned.
If the wall is not plumb, put the bad side inside the closet.

Know how to use the levels and know which one to use...

You mean I shouldn't be using this when I install a door?

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-line-level-67765.html

What ever floats your boat

Did you check that level to see if the level is level?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You are correct! Additionally, it is advised to use a longer level.

Fig. A shows a plumb check inside the jamb. It also needs a check on
the outside vertical jamb - for plumb.

Toilet leaking problem [email protected] Home Repair 9 December 11th 07 08:56 PM
CTC170 bizarre problem James Sweet Electronics Repair 0 February 7th 07 07:36 AM
Help - bizarre hot water problem!!! cs UK diy 1 December 31st 05 06:45 AM
Bizarre toilet problem KD Home Repair 15 August 22nd 04 10:14 PM
Bizarre moving guttering problem Richard Clay UK diy 6 October 30th 03 04:11 PM