Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default R134a compressor on R12 box

With a R134a condensing unit on a freezer designed for R12. It isn't working
right, customer keeps saying the ice is melting. (ice merchandiser outside a
store)

What comes to mind? Aside from Stormy jumping off a bridge. Replace the gas
with a R12 replacement blend?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On 7/20/2013 7:16 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
With a R134a condensing unit on a freezer designed for R12. It isn't working
right, customer keeps saying the ice is melting. (ice merchandiser outside a
store)

What comes to mind? Aside from Stormy jumping off a bridge. Replace the gas
with a R12 replacement blend?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Is there a TVX valve or is it a cap tube evaporator? o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Captube. These aren't grown up enough to be trusted with a TXV.

I remember from some where, the new stuff needs more flow to get the same
cooling.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 7/20/2013 7:16 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
With a R134a condensing unit on a freezer designed for R12. It isn't
working
right, customer keeps saying the ice is melting. (ice merchandiser outside
store)

What comes to mind? Aside from Stormy jumping off a bridge. Replace the
gas
with a R12 replacement blend?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Is there a TVX valve or is it a cap tube evaporator? o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On 7/20/2013 11:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Captube. These aren't grown up enough to be trusted with a TXV.

I remember from some where, the new stuff needs more flow to get the same
cooling.

If it's a compressor rated for R134a, it should handle any R12
replacement. I use R416a in systems designed for R12 and it works
better. ^_^

http://www.airgasrefrigerants.com/r-416a.php

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

The condensing unit (contains a compressor) on the box is rated for 134a. The guy at the shop uses 416a, which he's had good results. I've got some 414b, which is supposed to be bisexual, replaces 12 or 134a. Might try that, next time I get called to the store. I suspect it's got better heat carrying ability.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

If it's a compressor rated for R134a, it should handle any R12
replacement. I use R416a in systems designed for R12 and it works
better. ^_^

http://www.airgasrefrigerants.com/r-416a.php

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On 7/21/2013 8:36 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The condensing unit (contains a compressor) on the box is rated for
134a. The guy at the shop uses 416a, which he's had good results.
I've got some 414b, which is supposed to be bisexual, replaces 12 or
134a. Might try that, next time I get called to the store. I suspect
it's got better heat carrying ability.

Johnstone was selling 416a in the small 9.6 Oz. cans at one time. I have
an adapter that fits the small 416a can and have a single can somewhere
that I'm holding onto for an old Coke box I'm rebuilding for my
pharmacist. I've also used 416a for a walk in cooler at a pizza place
that has an old R12 system. The replacement refrigerant has a lower
operating head pressure than R12 which makes it wonderful for old tired
equipment, extending its life. Perhaps if I inject some of it up my,..
........ never mind. o_O

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...61%2Ck%3AR416a

https://tinyurl.com/mlvbg65

http://www.johnstonesupply.com/store...ep?pID=B14-293

https://tinyurl.com/lv29ay6

http://www.johnstonesupply.com/store...ep?pID=B93-441

https://tinyurl.com/kd6ajrh

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

[...]

Guys how about look up gas charts r-414 is idea replacement for r-12 for
two reasons pressure is not bad and temperature is even better then with
r-12
but it is also comparable with Alkybenzen and Mineraloils oils pus
evaporating
temp. at )psi is around -29or30. while r-416 is only -10 at 0 psi also it
uses
POE oils. Have fun guys I am done with it

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On 7/21/2013 10:06 PM, Tony944 wrote:
[...]

That's OK, I've never had a problem using mineral oil with R416a but I
will definitely give R414 a look and perhaps a trial in a system. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 20:16:19 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

With a R134a condensing unit on a freezer designed for R12. It isn't working
right, customer keeps saying the ice is melting. (ice merchandiser outside a
store)

What comes to mind? Aside from Stormy jumping off a bridge. Replace the gas
with a R12 replacement blend?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Mabee fix the insulation on the ice box?? Is the door weatherstripping
gone?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote:

With a R134a condensing unit on a freezer designed for R12. It isn't working
right, customer keeps saying the ice is melting. (ice merchandiser outside a
store)

What comes to mind? Aside from Stormy jumping off a bridge. Replace the gas
with a R12 replacement blend?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Mabee fix the insulation on the ice box?? Is the door weatherstripping
gone?

The evaporator is not designed for 134a. If it had an expansion valve
instead of a capillary tube metering system, it could be adjusted to
use the 134a or it could be replaced with an expansion valve
specifically designed for low temp 134a operation. I personally would
change refrigerants to an R12 replacement that will operate at lower
pressures than 134a. Of course, I have cut out cap tubes and installed
a TVX valve in its place so a system could operate with a different
refrigerant. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

You know, that sounds good. 9.6 ounces is about what one of these coolers takes. Lower head? I remember when R409a came out, we had to charge about 80% of the weight of R12.

Sure would be good to help keep older equipment operating longer.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

Johnstone was selling 416a in the small 9.6 Oz. cans at one time. I have
an adapter that fits the small 416a can and have a single can somewhere
that I'm holding onto for an old Coke box I'm rebuilding for my
pharmacist. I've also used 416a for a walk in cooler at a pizza place
that has an old R12 system. The replacement refrigerant has a lower
operating head pressure than R12 which makes it wonderful for old tired
equipment, extending its life. Perhaps if I inject some of it up my,..
........ never mind. o_O

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...61%2Ck%3AR416a

https://tinyurl.com/mlvbg65

http://www.johnstonesupply.com/store...ep?pID=B14-293

https://tinyurl.com/lv29ay6

http://www.johnstonesupply.com/store...ep?pID=B93-441

https://tinyurl.com/kd6ajrh

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

I've had some success with R414b, otherwise called Icor Hot Shot. supposed to replace 12 or 134a, and has higher heat capacity than 134a.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...
On 7/21/2013 10:06 PM, Tony944 wrote:

Guys how about look up gas charts r-414 is idea replacement for r-12 for
two reasons pressure is not bad and temperature is even better then with
r-12
but it is also comparable with Alkybenzen and Mineraloils oils pus
evaporating
temp. at )psi is around -29or30. while r-416 is only -10 at 0 psi also it
uses
POE oils. Have fun guys I am done with it

That's OK, I've never had a problem using mineral oil with R416a but I
will definitely give R414 a look and perhaps a trial in a system. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Checked both, not an issue.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote:

With a R134a condensing unit on a freezer designed for R12. It isn't working
right, customer keeps saying the ice is melting. (ice merchandiser outside a
store)

What comes to mind? Aside from Stormy jumping off a bridge. Replace the gas
with a R12 replacement blend?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Mabee fix the insulation on the ice box?? Is the door weatherstripping
gone?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

The old R12 cap tube systems operated with less refrigerant flow. The new stuff is far less efficient. Live and learn moment, I guess. I'm sure the store will call back. I'll go evacuate the sytem, and charge it up with new refrigerant. See if that keeps them happy.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

The evaporator is not designed for 134a. If it had an expansion valve
instead of a capillary tube metering system, it could be adjusted to
use the 134a or it could be replaced with an expansion valve
specifically designed for low temp 134a operation. I personally would
change refrigerants to an R12 replacement that will operate at lower
pressures than 134a. Of course, I have cut out cap tubes and installed
a TVX valve in its place so a system could operate with a different
refrigerant. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
SRN SRN is offline

It only takes 9.6 ounces of R-12 and your fretting about what replacement to
use??? Why don't you just buy a 14 ounce can of R-12 on eBay for about $25
and be done with it.........

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SRN" wrote in message
It only takes 9.6 ounces of R-12 and your fretting about what replacement
to use??? Why don't you just buy a 14 ounce can of R-12 on eBay for about
$25 and be done with it.........

I don't know what they are getting on ebay right now, but I just sold off 6
cans of r12 for $ 20 on Craigs list. I had them left over from when I had a
car that used it about 20 years ago.

I did not really understand why someone would only change out part of the
system and have it mismatched. Why not change it all out and have the
problem solved even if it costs a lot more.
I just hate the patch work things to get by and the problems they cause.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

You know, sometimes obvious answers really evade me. Thank you, have saved my day. Please provide an item number or URL for such a 14 ounce can.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"SRN" wrote in message ...
It only takes 9.6 ounces of R-12 and your fretting about what replacement to
use??? Why don't you just buy a 14 ounce can of R-12 on eBay for about $25
and be done with it.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd have give you that, for the old cans. But, it's over now.

Someday when you're in the area, I'll show you the box, and why we didn't change it all out.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message m...

I don't know what they are getting on ebay right now, but I just sold off 6
cans of r12 for $ 20 on Craigs list. I had them left over from when I had a
car that used it about 20 years ago.

I did not really understand why someone would only change out part of the
system and have it mismatched. Why not change it all out and have the
problem solved even if it costs a lot more.
I just hate the patch work things to get by and the problems they cause.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
SRN SRN is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
You know, sometimes obvious answers really evade me. Thank you, have saved
my day. Please provide an item number or URL for such a 14 ounce can.
..
If you're only going to buy one can and you need it "now" it will cost you
more than $25. The best way is to watch eBay and look for deals. Looks like
thsese are mostly 12 oz. cans

Do you already have a can "tap"?

Here's but one auction with a Buy-It-Now kind of price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IG-LO-Leak-C...dff11e&vxp=mtr

Here's an auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/R12-Freon-R-...em461141 564a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/R-12-Freon-/...14f264&vxp=mtr

Here's a 14 oz. can:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/R-12-Freon-/...14f501&vxp=mtr

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2013 9:51 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"SRN" wrote in message
It only takes 9.6 ounces of R-12 and your fretting about what replacement
to use??? Why don't you just buy a 14 ounce can of R-12 on eBay for about
$25 and be done with it.........

I don't know what they are getting on ebay right now, but I just sold off 6
cans of r12 for $ 20 on Craigs list. I had them left over from when I had a
car that used it about 20 years ago.

I did not really understand why someone would only change out part of the
system and have it mismatched. Why not change it all out and have the
problem solved even if it costs a lot more.
I just hate the patch work things to get by and the problems they cause.

You should have taken it by a garage and I'll bet the owner would have
given you a lot more money for it. I can guarantee you I would have
given you as much as $20 per can. On a lot of of freezers, the
evaporator is actually part of the case and there is no practical way to
remove it. In something like a walk in freezer, the TVX can be changed
out to match the new refrigerant and condensing unit being used. Quite
often, the compressor can handle different refrigerants and if it is a
semi-hermetic, it's very easy to drain the oil and replace
it with an oil compatible with a different refrigerant. Been there, done
that. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On 7/22/2013 4:36 PM, SRN wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
You know, sometimes obvious answers really evade me. Thank you, have saved
my day. Please provide an item number or URL for such a 14 ounce can.
.
If you're only going to buy one can and you need it "now" it will cost you
more than $25. The best way is to watch eBay and look for deals. Looks like
thsese are mostly 12 oz. cans

Do you already have a can "tap"?

Here's but one auction with a Buy-It-Now kind of price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IG-LO-Leak-C...dff11e&vxp=mtr

Here's an auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/R12-Freon-R-...em461141 564a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/R-12-Freon-/...14f264&vxp=mtr

Here's a 14 oz. can:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/R-12-Freon-/...14f501&vxp=mtr

You have to consider the shipping and handling charge on any of those
purchases. I've seen $100 shipping and handling charges on some items
and you can't always be sure you're getting what you pay for. When I
purchase something for a job where I have to guarantee my work, I must
obtain my material from a reliable source, ie, a supply house. I can't
go to a customer and say "I have to wait until it comes up for bid on
eBay." A customer want's their equipment fixed NOW. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On 7/22/2013 6:57 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The old R12 cap tube systems operated with less refrigerant flow.
The new stuff is far less efficient. Live and learn moment, I guess.
I'm sure the store will call back. I'll go evacuate the sytem, and
charge it up with new refrigerant. See if that keeps them happy. .

Many folks can't understand that the restaurant owner wants the
equipment fixed NOW. He/she/it can't wait for something to come up for
bid on eBay. I try to stock parts for specific customers but I'm not
rich and can't afford to do a lot of that especially with all the
medical problems I've had in the past decade. I have some customers that
I obtained a jug of refrigerant for at cost because their old equipment
would develop leaks due to age, rough usage by employees and vibration.
If I was unable to get to them, (I was hospitalized when one called me)
someone else could repair their stuff and the very expensive refrigerant
would already be on site. A lot of small business owners is po just like
me and struggling to survive, so we stick together. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

[...]

Oh heck, I used R414b when it first came out then I later started using
R416a and never went back to R414b. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Thanks, I'll try that for my next jug of juice.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

Oh heck, I used R414b when it first came out then I later started using
R416a and never went back to R414b. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

The main shop uses 416a, and so that will be my next purchase, after this jug runs dry. Which won't be too long, I'm guessing. Wish we lived closer, I'd offer to be your backup technician for when you can't get out and about. Guess I still can, but it's not practical to fly down and rent a car each time.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

Many folks can't understand that the restaurant owner wants the
equipment fixed NOW. He/she/it can't wait for something to come up for
bid on eBay. I try to stock parts for specific customers but I'm not
rich and can't afford to do a lot of that especially with all the
medical problems I've had in the past decade. I have some customers that
I obtained a jug of refrigerant for at cost because their old equipment
would develop leaks due to age, rough usage by employees and vibration.
If I was unable to get to them, (I was hospitalized when one called me)
someone else could repair their stuff and the very expensive refrigerant
would already be on site. A lot of small business owners is po just like
me and struggling to survive, so we stick together. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

In this case, it's a coldwall box, and the evaporator is not changable. Cap tube system, so there is no TXV to adjust.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

On a lot of of freezers, the
evaporator is actually part of the case and there is no practical way to
remove it. In something like a walk in freezer, the TVX can be changed
out to match the new refrigerant and condensing unit being used. Quite
often, the compressor can handle different refrigerants and if it is a
semi-hermetic, it's very easy to drain the oil and replace
it with an oil compatible with a different refrigerant. Been there, done
that. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Witchie poo hollers "Help me, I'm melting!"

http://www.film.com/wp-content/uploa...7771-large.jpg
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

When I purchase something for a job where I have
to guarantee my work, I must obtain my material
from a reliable source, ie, a supply house. I can't
go to a customer and say "I have to wait until it
comes up for bid on eBay." A customer want's
their equipment fixed NOW. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/2013 6:27 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
In this case, it's a coldwall box, and the evaporator is not
changable. Cap tube system, so there is no TXV to adjust. .

If there are multiple leaks in one of those, I used to recommend
scrapping it until the stop leaks for refrigerants came on the market.
Now I use the stop leak before recommending the scrap yard. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On 7/23/2013 5:53 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The main shop uses 416a, and so that will be my next purchase, after
this jug runs dry. Which won't be too long, I'm guessing. Wish we
lived closer, I'd offer to be your backup technician for when you
can't get out and about. Guess I still can, but it's not practical to
fly down and rent a car each time. .

Thanks for the kind thought but I'm not doing as much work like that and
now do more telecommunications work. Me and JH have a younger guy
"Stinky Stink" who's 50 years old, I think, to help us out doing that
stuff and he has years of experience. I just put together a power pole
out of a 4" vinyl downspout for installation in a sales office at a car
dealership. It will be installed in the middle of an office to carry
power, telephone and network cables from the ceiling down to a number of
desks for salespeople. I put two 4" square metal quad outlet boxes
at the bottom to work as feet and a surface for Velcro to stick the
bottom of the pole to the floor and small metal brackets will attach it
to the metal ceiling grid. Since there will be five or more computers
plugged in, I installed two separate 20 amp circuits using MC cable in
the downspout. Each with a separate breaker back in the electrical room.
I love MC cable, it makes a job a lot easier. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Well, in that case, you can send me all the refrig work? I'm back from
the dead, this new Thunderbird is not keeping me content, compared to
the old Outlook Express. Glad to hear you found a young fellow.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've tried stopleak, once. It did not work well, but then I didn't give
it a fair setup. A complicated story. The weather here turned colder,
and so I expect to hear from the store next summer when it warms up
again. In colder weather, everything can work fine.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

On 7/23/2013 6:27 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
In this case, it's a coldwall box, and the evaporator is not
changable. Cap tube system, so there is no TXV to adjust. .

If there are multiple leaks in one of those, I used to recommend
scrapping it until the stop leaks for refrigerants came on the market.
Now I use the stop leak before recommending the scrap yard. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

The replacement refrigerant has a lower
operating head pressure than R12 which makes it wonderful for old tired
equipment, extending its life. Perhaps if I inject some of it up my,..

lower "head" pressure is a good thing?
Injecting???

Oh boy you know how to talk my language. Heh heh

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On 7/29/2013 7:15 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

The replacement refrigerant has a lower
operating head pressure than R12 which makes it wonderful for old tired
equipment, extending its life. Perhaps if I inject some of it up my,..

lower "head" pressure is a good thing?
Injecting???

Oh boy you know how to talk my language. Heh heh

I meant injecting as in enema. Perhaps it won't blow my ass up. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

This thread is so full of multiple meanings, it's dificult to follow.
That said, it's getting to be cooler weather, so the OP's box in
question (hey, that's me!) won't be a problem till next year.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

The replacement refrigerant has a lower
operating head pressure than R12 which makes it wonderful for old tired
equipment, extending its life. Perhaps if I inject some of it up my,..

lower "head" pressure is a good thing?
Injecting???

Oh boy you know how to talk my language. Heh heh

I meant injecting as in enema. Perhaps it won't blow my ass up. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

The OP's box is outdoors. Won't get killer hot till next summer, and
should run fine on the hybrid system.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/31/2013 11:26 AM, Tony944 wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
This thread is so full of multiple meanings, it's dificult to follow. That
said, it's getting to be cooler weather, so the OP's box in question (hey,
that's me!) won't be a problem till next year.

Don't be so sure about that in summer most places has air on in winter have
heat on
makes big difference on location of equipment.

R134a Thread size? gary Metalworking 17 November 9th 19 04:18 AM
auto ac, r12 - r134a Yeva Kravchenko Home Repair 0 May 31st 07 04:10 AM
Auto AC, R12 - R134a m Ransley Home Repair 6 May 29th 06 04:42 AM
OT R134a Conversion Wild Bill Metalworking 0 July 23rd 05 05:39 PM
Recovery and charging of refrigerant (R134A)? Z UK diy 3 April 30th 04 09:32 AM