Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need first new roof

My roof is 60' x 30' with a 15 degree pitch, how much
appx. would that cost? Asphalt shingles, three tab, around
25 year. I've been asking questions at hardware stores.

What kind of terms can I expect from a roofer when I get a new
roof?

I could pay $1200.00 and make payments of $200.00 per month.
Would a contractor be likely to do that?

The wind and rain really messed things up in this area in the
last month.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 17:00:29 -0500, JD wrote:

My roof is 60' x 30' with a 15 degree pitch, how much
appx. would that cost? Asphalt shingles, three tab, around
25 year. I've been asking questions at hardware stores.

What kind of terms can I expect from a roofer when I get a new
roof?

I could pay $1200.00 and make payments of $200.00 per month.
Would a contractor be likely to do that?

The wind and rain really messed things up in this area in the
last month.

Contractors don't do payments, bank do. They may hook you up with a
bank but you'd do better on your own with a Home Equity loan.

Price depends on your market, but I'd guess at $8000 give or take a
grand or two. Get the best shingle grade you can. Labor cost will be
the same and you get a better roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2013 5:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 17:00:29 -0500, JD wrote:

My roof is 60' x 30' with a 15 degree pitch, how much
appx. would that cost? Asphalt shingles, three tab, around
25 year. I've been asking questions at hardware stores.

What kind of terms can I expect from a roofer when I get a new
roof?

I could pay $1200.00 and make payments of $200.00 per month.
Would a contractor be likely to do that?

The wind and rain really messed things up in this area in the
last month.

Contractors don't do payments, bank do. They may hook you up with a
bank but you'd do better on your own with a Home Equity loan.

Price depends on your market, but I'd guess at $8000 give or take a
grand or two. Get the best shingle grade you can. Labor cost will be
the same and you get a better roof.

My last asphalt shingle roof was about $9000 on a 1700 sq ft house with
a pitched roof. That was with 30yr shingles.

The $1200 may cover the insurance premium.

They ain't cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:00:29 PM UTC-4, JD wrote:
My roof is 60' x 30' with a 15 degree pitch, how much

appx. would that cost? Asphalt shingles, three tab, around

25 year. I've been asking questions at hardware stores.

Here in NJ the going rate for a tear-off, 30 year
architectural shingles, 15# felt, water barrier at eaves,
drip edge, ridge vent is about $285 a square. That
would be $5130 for your roof.

Basic 3 tab shingles are only about 25% less than the
cost of architectural shingles. And that is just the
cost of the shingles, which for your roof, the arch
shingles would be $100 a square, or $1800. So, you'd
only save about $450 on a $5000 job. If resale, look,
longevity, wind resistance, etc are of any importance,
I think it's a mistake to use a 3 tab today.

Look through the threads here for the past couple weeks.
There was another thread from a guy in VA who got quotes
that were significantly less than the rate here in NJ.
Some were so low, I can't imagine how anyone could stay
in business and do it at those prices. But I'm also sure
that NJ is one of the most expensive around and we're also
still inflated from all the Sandy work.

What kind of terms can I expect from a roofer when I get a new

roof?

I could pay $1200.00 and make payments of $200.00 per month.

Would a contractor be likely to do that?

ot typically. You might find some big national or regional
contractor outfits that do home remodeling and offer terms. But
the typical roofer isn't going to do it. And I'd bet that most
of the ones that do offer financing, you'd probably be better off
with someone else.

The wind and rain really messed things up in this area in the

last month.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"JD" wrote in message
My roof is 60' x 30' with a 15 degree pitch, how much
appx. would that cost? Asphalt shingles, three tab, around
25 year. I've been asking questions at hardware stores.

What kind of terms can I expect from a roofer when I get a new
roof?

I could pay $1200.00 and make payments of $200.00 per month.
Would a contractor be likely to do that?

The wind and rain really messed things up in this area in the
last month.

Roofs are not measured by degrees of pitch but by the rise in 12 inches. My
roof is 5:12, it goes up 5" for every foot, which is equivalent to 22.5
degrees, give or take. A roof that is 15 degrees, is quite low and may be
lower than most roof shingles are rated for. No matter, you may find that
you need some extra underlay materials or special shingles to work on that
roof and this will affect the cost. Going cheap may result in a roof that
has problems with rain in high winds depending on where you are. You need to
check out several local roofers for price, recommendations and materials
they will use. Don't go cheap or you will be doing this again a just a few
years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JD wrote:
My roof is 60' x 30' with a 15 degree pitch, how much
appx. would that cost? Asphalt shingles, three tab, around
25 year. I've been asking questions at hardware stores.

What kind of terms can I expect from a roofer when I get a new
roof?

I could pay $1200.00 and make payments of $200.00 per month.
Would a contractor be likely to do that?

We just recently replaced this roof in East TN for a total cost
of $7200.
http://s186.photobucket.com/user/83l...tml?sort=2&o=1

There IS a local roofer running commercials for monthly
payments, but I believe the payments were $289 a month. That
will likely vary according to size and is probably an average price.
YMMV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
JD wrote:

My roof is 60' x 30' with a 15 degree pitch, how much
appx. would that cost? Asphalt shingles, three tab, around
25 year. I've been asking questions at hardware stores.

What kind of terms can I expect from a roofer when I get a new
roof?

I could pay $1200.00 and make payments of $200.00 per month.
Would a contractor be likely to do that?

The wind and rain really messed things up in this area in the
last month.

First call would be to insurance company as they should pick up most of
the cost. They may also have a list of contractors they would suggest
you use. That would be a good first cut, but you may want to find more.
Round up the usual suspects such as BBB, etc. Our area had a lot of hail
damage recently and the some of the guys coming through the addition had
local phone numbers but out of state plates on their trucks. That would
be a 100% no-no in my mind.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2013 7:51 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
JD wrote:

[...]

After a hail storm some local companies, with good references, will
contract with non-local contractors. It becomes a bit of a crap shoot,
but the reputation of the local company is still on the line.

That's what happened to me after a hail storm and the non-local
contractor screwed up the flashing around the fireplace chimney. After
several attempts, the local contractor finally fixed it. No harm done,
other than it was frustrating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"83LowRider" wrote:
JD wrote:
My roof is 60' x 30' with a 15 degree pitch, how much
appx. would that cost? Asphalt shingles, three tab, around
25 year. I've been asking questions at hardware stores.

What kind of terms can I expect from a roofer when I get a new
roof?

I could pay $1200.00 and make payments of $200.00 per month.
Would a contractor be likely to do that?

We just recently replaced this roof in East TN for a total cost
of $7200.
http://s186.photobucket.com/user/83l...tml?sort=2&o=1

Why did you replace that roof? It look great. ;-)

There IS a local roofer running commercials for monthly
payments, but I believe the payments were $289 a month. That
will likely vary according to size and is probably an average price.
YMMV.

We have a local contractor who advertises on the radio all the time. It
doesn't matter what the job is, new 30 year roof - "Only $189 a month";
vinyl replacement windows - "Only $189 a month"; complete basement
remodeling - "Only $189 a month".

Aside from whatever game he's playing with the cost, the commercials are so
boring and repetitive I'd never hire the guy. I know that writing
commercials and putting on a roof are a million miles apart, but if he
can't figure out how to be more creative with his radio ads - like maybe
hire someone else to do them? - then I have a feeling he can't be very
creative on the job. I'm probably making a bad assumption, but a bad first
impression means a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 13:44:25 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

We have a local contractor who advertises on the radio all the time. It
doesn't matter what the job is, new 30 year roof - "Only $189 a month";
vinyl replacement windows - "Only $189 a month"; complete basement
remodeling - "Only $189 a month".

Aside from whatever game he's playing with the cost, the commercials are so
boring and repetitive I'd never hire the guy. I know that writing
commercials and putting on a roof are a million miles apart, but if he
can't figure out how to be more creative with his radio ads - like maybe
hire someone else to do them? - then I have a feeling he can't be very
creative on the job. I'm probably making a bad assumption, but a bad first
impression means a lot.

I'd never trust an outfit like that. The $189 a month is probably for
50 years at 29.9% interest.

We get commercials for Empire Carpet. "I only paid for this much
carpet (showing small portion of a room), but I got this much (showing
full room)" A 60% off sale, Sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
My roof is 60' x 30' with a 15 degree pitch, how much
appx. would that cost? Asphalt shingles, three tab, around
25 year. I've been asking questions at hardware stores.
What kind of terms can I expect from a roofer when I get a new
roof?
I could pay $1200.00 and make payments of $200.00 per month.
Would a contractor be likely to do that?
The wind and rain really messed things up in this area in the
last month.

I wish I had insurance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JD" wrote:
wrote: My roof is 60' x 30' with a 15 degree pitch, how much
appx. would that cost? Asphalt shingles, three tab, around
25 year. I've been asking questions at hardware stores.
What kind of terms can I expect from a roofer when I get a new
roof?
I could pay $1200.00 and make payments of $200.00 per month.
Would a contractor be likely to do that?
The wind and rain really messed things up in this area in the
last month.

I wish I had insurance.

Free house? Paid cash? If not, how did you get a mortgage without
insurance?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Why did you replace that roof? It look great. ;-)

The picture is 14 years old and the first pic I took of
our then 'new' house. Being on top of a mountain, we
get massive abuse from the weather.

For about a thousand extra bucks, the roofer would
have done us a metal roof.... but I got scared at the
last minute and opted for the shingles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"JD" wrote:
wrote: My roof is 60' x 30' with a 15 degree pitch, how much
appx. would that cost? Asphalt shingles, three tab, around
25 year. I've been asking questions at hardware stores.
What kind of terms can I expect from a roofer when I get a new
roof?
I could pay $1200.00 and make payments of $200.00 per month.
Would a contractor be likely to do that?
The wind and rain really messed things up in this area in the
last month.

I wish I had insurance.

Free house? Paid cash? If not, how did you get a mortgage without
insurance?

Paid cash 5 years ago.
Times were better then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 21:30:30 -0400, "83LowRider"
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Why did you replace that roof? It look great. ;-)

The picture is 14 years old and the first pic I took of
our then 'new' house. Being on top of a mountain, we
get massive abuse from the weather.

For about a thousand extra bucks, the roofer would
have done us a metal roof.... but I got scared at the
last minute and opted for the shingles.

Not a bad price on the metal. I looked into it and it was $15,000
more so I just told the guy to leave. Maybe others would have been
more reasonable but I was turned off by the price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JD" wrote:
wrote: "JD" wrote:
wrote: My roof is 60' x 30' with a 15 degree pitch, how much
appx. would that cost? Asphalt shingles, three tab, around
25 year. I've been asking questions at hardware stores.
What kind of terms can I expect from a roofer when I get a new
roof?
I could pay $1200.00 and make payments of $200.00 per month.
Would a contractor be likely to do that?
The wind and rain really messed things up in this area in the
last month.
I wish I had insurance.

Free house? Paid cash? If not, how did you get a mortgage without
insurance?

Paid cash 5 years ago.
Times were better then.

Sounds like a home equity loan or line of credit is in your future because
I doubt you'll get a new roof for $1200.

Good luck. I mean that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Why did you replace that roof? It look great. ;-)

The picture is 14 years old and the first pic I took of
our then 'new' house. Being on top of a mountain, we
get massive abuse from the weather.

For about a thousand extra bucks, the roofer would
have done us a metal roof.... but I got scared at the
last minute and opted for the shingles.

Not a bad price on the metal. I looked into it and it was $15,000
more so I just told the guy to leave. Maybe others would have been
more reasonable but I was turned off by the price.

The guys that did the job actually worked under a local
business that also produces the metal roofing and other
various metal sheeting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Yea but look how easy they can put it down. Maybe you missed that :-)