Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What do you call light socket

What do you call a light socket like those ued in construction sites?

They have a white and a black pigtail, about 6", and the socket is
surrounded by rubber. I'm using one now, and I can only get an
incandescent bulb into it. I need 100 watts so I want to change to
CFL but the base of one of those is too big to fit. Before I got to
the store, I want to search online.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

What do you call a light socket like those ued in construction sites?

They have a white and a black pigtail, about 6", and the socket is
surrounded by rubber. I'm using one now, and I can only get an
incandescent bulb into it. I need 100 watts so I want to change to
CFL but the base of one of those is too big to fit. Before I got to
the store, I want to search online.

We call them [insert your local low-life town] chandeliers.

Google pigtail socket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
micky wrote:

What do you call a light socket like those ued in construction sites?

They have a white and a black pigtail, about 6", and the socket is
surrounded by rubber. I'm using one now, and I can only get an
incandescent bulb into it. I need 100 watts so I want to change to
CFL but the base of one of those is too big to fit. Before I got to
the store, I want to search online.

Something like this?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/rubb...-socket/905857

Search around, they make various versions with hanging hooks/eyes and so
forth.

Good luck!

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2013 7:24 PM, micky wrote:
What do you call a light socket like those ued in construction sites?

They have a white and a black pigtail, about 6", and the socket is
surrounded by rubber. I'm using one now, and I can only get an
incandescent bulb into it. I need 100 watts so I want to change to
CFL but the base of one of those is too big to fit. Before I got to
the store, I want to search online.

It is a rubber pigtail socket.
For some types of lamps to fit, you have to take a utility knife and
cut away some of the rubber around the opening of the socket, to allow
the Edison base to seat in the socket
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 20:11:06 -0400, RBM wrote:

On 7/19/2013 7:24 PM, micky wrote:
What do you call a light socket like those ued in construction sites?

They have a white and a black pigtail, about 6", and the socket is
surrounded by rubber. I'm using one now, and I can only get an
incandescent bulb into it. I need 100 watts so I want to change to
CFL but the base of one of those is too big to fit. Before I got to
the store, I want to search online.

It is a rubber pigtail socket.

Well, I got all three words, but didnt' put them all together.

The url Erik gave me looks exactly like what I have, (That is, it
needs to be cut to fit.)

I added cfl to rubber pigtail socket, and googled and found
one with a cord and plug for $22. I think I'll follow your advice
below.

For some types of lamps to fit, you have to take a utility knife and
cut away some of the rubber around the opening of the socket, to allow
the Edison base to seat in the socket

OK, I could try a knife. It was hanging from the ceiling by the time
I realized a CFL wouldn't fit.

Thanks everyone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 20:11:06 -0400, RBM wrote:

For some types of lamps to fit, you have to take a utility knife and
cut away some of the rubber around the opening of the socket, to allow
the Edison base to seat in the socket

OK, I could try a knife. It was hanging from the ceiling by the time
I realized a CFL wouldn't fit.

Thanks everyone.

Disconnect it before you start cutting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 16:39:54 -0700, Erik wrote:

Something like this?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/rubb...-socket/905857

I've always called these "test lights" when the bulb is installed.

Used to test wall outlets, by inserting the pig tails in the
receptacle.

Another type of tester.

http://us.readersdigest.com/images//tfhimport/2005/20050501_Electrical_Testers_page001img002.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 16:39:54 -0700, Erik wrote:

Something like this?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/rubb...-socket/905857

I've always called these "test lights" when the bulb is installed.

Used to test wall outlets, by inserting the pig tails in the
receptacle.

Bit more convenient...and safe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooper-Wirin...-/300928264010

Another type of tester.

http://us.readersdigest.com/images//...501_Electrical
_Testers_page001img002.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 20:32:12 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 16:39:54 -0700, Erik wrote:

Something like this?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/rubb...-socket/905857

I've always called these "test lights" when the bulb is installed.

Used to test wall outlets, by inserting the pig tails in the
receptacle.

Bit more convenient...and safe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooper-Wirin...-/300928264010

Touche'

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 19:24:03 -0400, micky
wrote:

What do you call a light socket like those ued in construction sites?

Socket to me!!!