Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default What do you call light socket

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 20:11:06 -0400, RBM wrote:

On 7/19/2013 7:24 PM, micky wrote:
What do you call a light socket like those ued in construction sites?

They have a white and a black pigtail, about 6", and the socket is
surrounded by rubber. I'm using one now, and I can only get an
incandescent bulb into it. I need 100 watts so I want to change to
CFL but the base of one of those is too big to fit. Before I got to
the store, I want to search online.

It is a rubber pigtail socket.

Well, I got all three words, but didnt' put them all together.

The url Erik gave me looks exactly like what I have, (That is, it
needs to be cut to fit.)

I added cfl to rubber pigtail socket, and googled and found
one with a cord and plug for $22. I think I'll follow your advice
below.

For some types of lamps to fit, you have to take a utility knife and
cut away some of the rubber around the opening of the socket, to allow
the Edison base to seat in the socket

OK, I could try a knife. It was hanging from the ceiling by the time
I realized a CFL wouldn't fit.

Thanks everyone.