Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can an aluminum clad patio door be re-cladded?

If the aluminum on the exterior of an aluminum clad sliding patio
door is beat up, scratched, etc. can it be replaced?

The interior is wood, stained to match the rest of the trim in the
room and is in great shape. It's a really nice door with an oak
sill and handle, etc. The homeowner does not want to replace the
door, she just wants to make the outside look new
again.

Is cladding a one time thing done during manufacture or can the
old cladding be removed and replaced with new? Who would do this
type of work?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 14:37:46 -0400 (EDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Is cladding a one time thing done during manufacture or can the
old cladding be removed and replaced with new? Who would do this
type of work?

Good questions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is cladding a one time thing done during manufacture or can the
old cladding be removed and replaced with new? Who would do this
type of work?

Good questions.

Thank you. I put some effort into formulating them to be clear,
concise and I hope somewhat intriguing. ;-)

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

If the aluminum on the exterior of an aluminum clad
sliding patio door is beat up, scratched, etc. can it be
replaced?

The interior is wood, stained to match the rest of the
trim in the room and is in great shape. It's a really
nice door with an oak sill and handle, etc. The homeowner
does not want to replace the door, she just wants to make
the outside look new
again.

Is cladding a one time thing done during manufacture or
can the old cladding be removed and replaced with new?
Who would do this type of work?

Ask the manufacturer.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

If the aluminum on the exterior of an aluminum clad
sliding patio door is beat up, scratched, etc. can it be
replaced?

The interior is wood, stained to match the rest of the
trim in the room and is in great shape. It's a really
nice door with an oak sill and handle, etc. The homeowner
does not want to replace the door, she just wants to make
the outside look new
again.

Is cladding a one time thing done during manufacture or
can the old cladding be removed and replaced with new?
Who would do this type of work?

Ask the manufacturer.

She did, sort of. The local millwork place she bought it from is out of
business. The main source's CSR said they don't repair doors, they just
sell new ones and have some parts for older models. They had no suggestions
on how to get the door repaired.

There's also been some mergers since she bought the door and now Crestline,
Peachtree and Menards are all in the mix. I think that route has been
exhausted.

I found a local window repair company and they said to email them some
pictures and they'll see if it's anything they think they can fix. I have
to go over and take some pictures. If they can do it, it'll be me that
takes the panels out and temporarily seals the opening. I'm sure they'll
be some duct tape involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2013 5:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I recall having some aluminum clad plywood, once. The AL was glued to
the ply.

What made the scratches? what is the other damage? any holes?

Have you considered just working the AL surface over with sandpaper and
water? Coarse to finer paper.

Can you remove the door? If not, then you will never be able to try
anything.

Is the AL edge crimped over the door veneer? I assume veneer over other
wood.

Does the AL cover the entire surface of the door? Picture would be nice!

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

If the aluminum on the exterior of an aluminum clad
sliding patio door is beat up, scratched, etc. can it be
replaced?

The interior is wood, stained to match the rest of the
trim in the room and is in great shape. It's a really
nice door with an oak sill and handle, etc. The homeowner
does not want to replace the door, she just wants to make
the outside look new
again.

Is cladding a one time thing done during manufacture or
can the old cladding be removed and replaced with new?
Who would do this type of work?

Ask the manufacturer.

Hi,
On your local Yellow page book, you may find a cladding outfit
under windows/doors section.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

"dadiOH" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in
message
If the aluminum on the exterior of an aluminum clad
sliding patio door is beat up, scratched, etc. can it
be replaced?

The interior is wood, stained to match the rest of the
trim in the room and is in great shape. It's a really
nice door with an oak sill and handle, etc. The
homeowner does not want to replace the door, she just
wants to make the outside look new
again.

Is cladding a one time thing done during manufacture
or can the old cladding be removed and replaced with
new? Who would do this type of work?

Ask the manufacturer.

She did, sort of. The local millwork place she bought it
from is out of business. The main source's CSR said they
don't repair doors, they just sell new ones and have
some parts for older models. They had no suggestions on
how to get the door repaired.

OK. I rather imagine that the Al is painted? Sand, Bondo as needed, prime
and paint again?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

Isn't the issue anodization? Aluminum needs this or else paint. I have a problem of deep pitting and guess I will have to look up a real or fake anodizing coating (without removing doors).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

"dadiOH" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in
message
[...]

It's actually worse than just a paint issue. The cladding on the bottom of
the fixed panel has pulled away from the wood preventing the screen from
sliding paste it smoothly. It's been recaulked to prevent water from
getting behind it.

It really needs to be replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 19, 2013 1:37:46 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
If the aluminum on the exterior of an aluminum clad sliding patio door is beat up, scratched, etc. can it be replaced? The interior is wood, stained to match the rest of the trim in the room and is in great shape. It's a really nice door with an oak sill and handle, etc. The homeowner does not want to replace the door, she just wants to make the outside look new again. Is cladding a one time thing done during manufacture or can the old cladding be removed and replaced with new? Who would do this type of work? Thanks!

A photo or two or three would be great
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2013 1:37:46 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
If the aluminum on the exterior of an aluminum clad sliding patio door
is beat up, scratched, etc. can it be replaced? The interior is wood,
stained to match the rest of the trim in the room and is in great shape.
It's a really nice door with an oak sill and handle, etc. The homeowner
does not want to replace the door, she just wants to make the outside
look new again. Is cladding a one time thing done during manufacture or
can the old cladding be removed and replaced with new? Who would do this
type of work? Thanks!

A photo or two or three would be great

Maybe...maybe not. I need to take some pictures to send to a repair shop
but the bottom line is that the aluminum needs to be replaced. It is bent,
pulling away from the wood and holes are starting to appear. A picture
might help you folks understand how bad it is, but it won't help answer the
question of whether a door can be re-cladded or not.

Trust me, the existing aluminum can not be repaired.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is cladding a one time thing done during manufacture or can the
old cladding be removed and replaced with new? Who would do this
type of work?

Good questions.

GENERALLY the "cladding" is an extrusion. If so, sanding, filling,
sanding smooth and repainting might work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is cladding a one time thing done during manufacture or can the
old cladding be removed and replaced with new? Who would do this
type of work?

Good questions.

GENERALLY the "cladding" is an extrusion. If so, sanding, filling,
sanding smooth and repainting might work?

It also pulling away from the glass on the bottom of the fixed panel. It
sticks out enough that it causes the screen to pop out of the track and get
all jammed up.

If it can't be reclad I may try to pull it in with some low profile pan
head screws like these, then "sanding, filling, sanding smooth and
repainting".

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/p...id=pxswxprovez