Posted to alt.home.repair

Default caulking around exterior vinyl clad mull posts and jams on a door

I recently had a new exterior door installed and after it was installed
i noticed stickers on the vinyl clad mull posts that said "no caulk".
these stickers were right above the sill. I asked the man who
installed the door what they meant and he said "don't put caulk around
the mull posts. I am confused because this really looks like a place
where one should put caulking so as not to get a leak under the sill.
Has anyone ever heard of this? The mull posts have a thin vinyl
covering over wood. The jams have the same covering and they were not
caulked either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I recently had a new exterior door installed and after it was installed
i noticed stickers on the vinyl clad mull posts that said "no caulk".
these stickers were right above the sill. I asked the man who
installed the door what they meant and he said "don't put caulk around
the mull posts. I am confused because this really looks like a place
where one should put caulking so as not to get a leak under the sill.
Has anyone ever heard of this? The mull posts have a thin vinyl
covering over wood. The jams have the same covering and they were not
caulked either.

I would guess that the product is designed to expand and contract at
that joint with changes in the elements and caulk would prevent this.
what brand of door is it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence wrote:
wrote:
I recently had a new exterior door installed and after it was installed
i noticed stickers on the vinyl clad mull posts that said "no caulk".
these stickers were right above the sill. I asked the man who
installed the door what they meant and he said "don't put caulk around
the mull posts. I am confused because this really looks like a place
where one should put caulking so as not to get a leak under the sill.
Has anyone ever heard of this? The mull posts have a thin vinyl
covering over wood. The jams have the same covering and they were not
caulked either.

I would guess that the product is designed to expand and contract at
that joint with changes in the elements and caulk would prevent this.
what brand of door is it?

The door and sidelites are by Masonite, but I'm guessing the rest of
the door parts are by all different manufacturers because Masonite
didn't recognize the mull posts. The dealer that I bought the door and
had the door installed by is shady to say the least. He will not tell
me where all of the door parts are from and is very uncoperative. The
Mull posts may be from Endura, they said that they recognized them to
be theirs but they didn't recognize the thin vinyl cladding that was
put over the mull posts. So I'm in a quandry. Endura said that
without caulking around the jams and the mull posts it's like a leak
waiting to happen.