Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl window repair

I have a 6 over 9 vinyl window, single hung, and the top window has
lost a seal. I am pretty handy and would like to take out the 6 pane
window and replace it but have no experience with vinyl windows and
can't figure out how the thing is put together.

If it matters the bottom is one of those that can be tilted in for
easy cleaning.

It might have been a Philips window.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

if you can get the top half out it can be taken TO A GLASS SHOP where they can make a new double pane glass assembly and put it in the frame, fast easy and cheap)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 17:03:08 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

if you can get the top half out it can be taken TO A GLASS SHOP where they can make a new double pane glass assembly and put it in the frame, fast easy and cheap)

Generally on "single hung" windows, removing the fixed half is
difficult. MOST vinyl windows have removeable glazing blocks (or
stops) on the bars and muntins. Generally they can be pried out from
the inside.When the glazing blocks are removed, the sealed units are
often mounted in a mastic - which sometimes needs to be cut out to
free the glass unit.

SOP is to remove the glazing blocks and measure (accurately) the size
of the sealed unit and order the unit before removing the old one.
With new unit in hand, you remove the old one, pop the new one in, and
reistall the glazing blocks (or stops)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

if you can get the top half out it can be taken TO A GLASS SHOP where they can make a new double pane glass assembly and put it in the frame, fast easy and cheap)

Generally on "single hung" windows, removing the fixed half is
difficult. MOST vinyl windows have removeable glazing blocks (or
stops) on the bars and muntins. Generally they can be pried out from
the inside.When the glazing blocks are removed, the sealed units are
often mounted in a mastic - which sometimes needs to be cut out to
free the glass unit.

SOP is to remove the glazing blocks and measure (accurately) the size
of the sealed unit and order the unit before removing the old one.
With new unit in hand, you remove the old one, pop the new one in, and
reistall the glazing blocks (or stops)

Yes, in my previous house, I had a roughly 4' x 4' window seal go bad.
Someone told me of a person (company) that did this type of work. I
called, a guy came out, measured and returned another day with the new
window. But, it didn't fit, so he re-ordered another one, came out yet
a 3rd day and did the install. If that was me doing the measuring, I'd
be paying for 2 new double pane (or it would have been pain!) units. On
a smaller double hung window, I removed the entire upper unit, installed
a piece of wood in the opening, and brought it to a glass shop. They
made the new unit in a day or 2.