Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT What is Control Panel called in Win 7?

I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control
Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2013 11:33 AM, micky wrote:
I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control
Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

control panel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2013 12:33 PM, micky wrote:
I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control
Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

It's still called Control Panel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 12:33:53 -0400, micky
wrote:

I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control
Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

Control Panel

Click: Start Control Panel
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Saturday, July 6, 2013 10:33:53 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:
I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control

Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

It is called "Control Panel".

Start button will give access to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control
Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

It's called control panel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control
Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

Control Panel

Click: Start Control Panel

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, I clicked on Start and there was no control panel!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control
Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

Control Panel

Click: Start Control Panel

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, I clicked on Start and there was no control panel!!

Odd. My CP is pinned on the menu.

Click : Start. type in (search box) "control panel" (less quotation)
That will launch the Control Panel. Maybe I pinned mine into my menu
so it is always there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control
Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

Control Panel

Click: Start Control Panel

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, I clicked on Start and there was no control panel!!

Odd. My CP is pinned on the menu.

Click : Start. type in (search box) "control panel" (less quotation)
That will launch the Control Panel. Maybe I pinned mine into my menu
so it is always there.

I found it. It was under HP Setup Manager, with 9 other items with
little white print on a transparent purple background. Ugh.

He's 73 and not fond of computers, but I had just as much troulble as
he did. This was to get the mike volume higher, but he's called
Rosetta Stone Customer Service about the other problems, like repeatly
suggesing he update the software, then when he does, suggesting it
again, and having no way to bypass Update except by starting Update
and cancelling it in the middle. They're supposed to call him back
in 10 minutes.

Thank you all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control
Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

Control Panel

Click: Start Control Panel

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, I clicked on Start and there was no control panel!!

Odd. My CP is pinned on the menu.

Click : Start. type in (search box) "control panel" (less quotation)

Hey, that works in XP too, typing it into the Run box, even with the
space. I didn't know that.

That will launch the Control Panel. Maybe I pinned mine into my menu
so it is always there.

It turns out it's always there for him too, but hidden like I describe
in the previous post

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is
Control Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

Control Panel

Click: Start Control Panel

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, I clicked on Start and there was no control panel!!

Try reading this link and see if that solves the problem:

http://www.sysprobs.com/hide-windows...nel-start-menu .

The link actually shows how to hide the Control Panel, but maybe if someone
already hid it, you can "un-hide" it by unchecking the right option.

Or, try what is says near the bottom of the link and type in "control" after
clicking on "Programs".

Or, maybe TeamViewer doesn't give you permission to access the Control Panel
remotely? If so, could you ask your brother to try clicking on Start then
Control Panel himself directly on his own computer rather than you trying to
do it through TeamViewer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 14:13:53 -0400, micky
wrote:

Yeah, I clicked on Start and there was no control panel!!

Odd. My CP is pinned on the menu.

Click : Start. type in (search box) "control panel" (less quotation)

Hey, that works in XP too, typing it into the Run box, even with the
space. I didn't know that.

Many modules will run from the search / run box.

Try:

cmd (old DOS command line)

mrt (windows tool)

There are others.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is
Control Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

Control Panel

Click: Start Control Panel

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, I clicked on Start and there was no control panel!!

Try reading this link and see if that solves the problem:

http://www.sysprobs.com/hide-windows...nel-start-menu .

The link actually shows how to hide the Control Panel, but maybe if someone
already hid it, you can "un-hide" it by unchecking the right option.

Or, try what is says near the bottom of the link and type in "control" after
clicking on "Programs".

Or, maybe TeamViewer doesn't give you permission to access the Control Panel
remotely?

So far TViewer lets me do everything -- it's great --, except that
if i want to use combination keys, like alt-tab, I have to say so. A
box pops up and asks after the first time I try, and after every time
if I don't give blanket agreement.

If so, could you ask your brother to try clicking on Start then
Control Panel himself directly on his own computer rather than you trying to
do it through TeamViewer?

Thank you.

My brother is 73, doesn't like computers, and this program is giving 3
other problems that I can't solve either. Well I think I solved one,
that he just understand what was wanted, but the other two wore me
out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Heh

You can access it through the search tool when you click the start menu.
(on the bottom)

One of several ways.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2013 11:33 AM, micky wrote:
I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control
Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

It's called WTF. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 15:34:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I take care of about 15 computers running XP or Win7. Desktops,
laptops, netbooks.

Rookie

I managed 70 machines on a network, met the deadline for the project
build.

"My monitor isn't working." Turn it on, "I did". Does it have power?
"Yes."

So I went up there and plugged the monitor into the power.

Lucky I never found "white out error correction liquids" on the
monitor screens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 14:44:10 -0500, gonjah wrote:

I take care of about 15 computers running XP or Win7. Desktops,
laptops, netbooks. Every one has the control panel in the same place
on the Start menu. Doubt yours is different.

It might be unpinned from the start menu.

Your job sounds similar to my old job but I just had a lot more
computers. Not system administrator (would involve more money) but
responsible for everyone's bs?

Some are job related, others are family related. We don't have enough
IT to need a System Administrator (it would be a pay cut anyway), it
is just that I happen to know more about computers than anyone at
work. If I need help, I call the guy that builds them for us.

My boss is the owner, a graduate mechanical engineer, very smart and
has owned a couple of businesses. Every year he takes his laptop to
Florida and every year he calls and asks how to disable the touch pad
as he uses a mouse. You get the idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 13:01:36 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 15:34:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I take care of about 15 computers running XP or Win7. Desktops,
laptops, netbooks.

Rookie

I managed 70 machines on a network, met the deadline for the project
build.

"My monitor isn't working." Turn it on, "I did". Does it have power?
"Yes."

So I went up there and plugged the monitor into the power.

Lucky I never found "white out error correction liquids" on the
monitor screens.

Stuff like that always reminds me of a Quake command line switch.

-noidea
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2013 3:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

We could have used a real IT guy but maybe for only 4 hours a day, so
they used me and I'd call up a consultant when it was out of my league.
The system sort of worked. I don't know what happened when I left.

If I get myself in that situation again I hope I've learned how to say
"no". I doubt it though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 16:33:36 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

Lucky I never found "white out error correction liquids" on the
monitor screens.

Stuff like that always reminds me of a Quake command line switch.

-noidea

Customer: "My laptop won't boot."

Tech Support: "Have you tried rebooting?"

Customer: "I can't reboot, because it doesn't boot in the first
place."

Tech Support: "Sir, we have to do things my way, okay?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that micky formulated :
I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control
Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

Don't know about Teamviewer but just Win 7.

Right Click START button.
Left click PROPERTIES
Left Click START MENU tab
Left Click CUSTOMISE
Uncheck DONT DISPLAY THIS ITEM under Control Panel (about line 9)

AltHome Repair is hardly the proper news to get a good reply to a
computer problem. :-?

--
John G

Posted to alt.home.repair

John G wrote:
It happens that micky formulated :
I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control
Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

Don't know about Teamviewer but just Win 7.

Right Click START button.
Left click PROPERTIES
Left Click START MENU tab
Left Click CUSTOMISE
Uncheck DONT DISPLAY THIS ITEM under Control Panel (about line 9)

AltHome Repair is hardly the proper news to get a good reply to a
computer problem. :-?

Hmmm,
There is help file, just start help and support enter the subject
topic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control
Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

Control Panel

Click: Start Control Panel

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, I clicked on Start and there was no control panel!!

Odd. My CP is pinned on the menu.

Click : Start. type in (search box) "control panel" (less quotation)
That will launch the Control Panel. Maybe I pinned mine into my menu
so it is always there.

I found it. It was under HP Setup Manager, with 9 other items with
little white print on a transparent purple background. Ugh.

He's 73 and not fond of computers, but I had just as much troulble as

Hi,
I am 73, Something special or unusual being a 73 YO? I am very fond of
'puters helping family and neighbors with their problems. Hardware as
well as software problems. My service is free. just repaired a LCD
monitor for neighbor's son yesterday. Most request for
help is setting up their network using wireless router, home theater.
And showing them how to use universal remote control for one button
operation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 19:34:37 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Hi,
I am 73, Something special or unusual being a 73 YO? I am very fond of
'puters helping family and neighbors with their problems. Hardware as
well as software problems. My service is free. just repaired a LCD
monitor for neighbor's son yesterday. Most request for
help is setting up their network using wireless router, home theater.
And showing them how to use universal remote control for one button
operation.

Hi,
Motivation and good health is the key. There is these old sayings,
"Age is state of mind", "Young man sold his health getting rich, when
he got old he spent all the money trying to get his health back"

Not long ago I helped a grand parents showing how to do Skype voice/
video operation. They now enjoy weekly chat and eyeballing with their
grand kids overseas. Few days ago I had to upgrade their Skype with new
version. Pop up message keep telling to upgrade was bothering them.

I retired from Honeywell in '96 as a Sr System support Specialist. B4 I
worked for USDOD for worldwide military communications command.
Traveled A LOT all over the globe working as C&I, M&O engineer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Jul 2013 10:06:09 +1000, John G
wrote:

It happens that micky formulated :
I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control
Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

Don't know about Teamviewer but just Win 7.

Right Click START button.
Left click PROPERTIES
Left Click START MENU tab
Left Click CUSTOMISE
Uncheck DONT DISPLAY THIS ITEM under Control Panel (about line 9)

AltHome Repair is hardly the proper news to get a good reply to a
computer problem. :-?

You're right but I knew you guys would get back to me before he
finished lunch.

He dislikes computers enough, I didn't want this experience to be a
really bad one.

With your (plural) help, and mineWe got past the control panel, but
there were still 2 big problems in this software which he had used
succesffully months ago.

I don't want to get into the name of the software, and the problems
are difficult to explain concisely. He was going to call their
customer service. At least he knows it stymied me too and it's not
that he's no good at this. (like his wife keeps telling him.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yeah, I clicked on Start and there was no control panel!!

Odd. My CP is pinned on the menu.

Click : Start. type in (search box) "control panel" (less quotation)

Hey, that works in XP too, typing it into the Run box, even with the
space. I didn't know that.

Many modules will run from the search / run box.

Try:

cmd (old DOS command line)

mrt (windows tool)

There are others.

I know about the others, including msinfo32 and more. It's control
panel that fooled me because I didn't think that was part of a file
name. Even though I know that spaces can -- ugh -- be part of file
names, I didnt' think this one was.

I searched and Control Panel is a file, a shortcut they call it.
It exists in WinME too and in XP it's 152 bytes. It has no extension
on the end. Who knew?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 19:23:21 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

AltHome Repair is hardly the proper news to get a good reply to a
computer problem. :-?

Hmmm,
There is help file, just start help and support enter the subject
topic

Yes. Often people will not even try the help file first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I'm not 73...until 8pm zzzzzzzzzzz...............
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:hvhgt8t0rnjdbieek6hi3h9hneeal5ig5a@
4ax.com:

wrote:

I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control
Panel called in Win 7?

He's going to call back after he eats lunch.

Control Panel

Click: Start Control Panel

Mine says Out of Control Panel. Hmmmmm...
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.emmitsburg.net/humor/pictures/2007/redneck_computer.jpg