Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tinting primer on kitchen cabinets

Has anyone tried to tint a whitish primer with a dark color?
The overcoat is going to be an enamel walnut brown.
I noticed that sometimes, the white undercoat shows through, requiring a second overcoat.
Someone told me that tinting the primer risks messing up the job? Anyone's experience. I am redoing this job because the "pro" that painted this last time used latex on kitchen cabinets, and the paint is peeling because the latex is easily scraped off due to the waxy surface finish.
BTW, can I get him to repaint it free after 6 years? I guess I can ask, but this is due to a poor job the first time around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2013 2:07 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
Has anyone tried to tint a whitish primer with a dark color?

yes. they also have different kinds paints for different colors (deep
tint, pastels, etc). ask the paint guy when you are there.

The overcoat is going to be an enamel walnut brown.
I noticed that sometimes, the white undercoat shows through, requiring a second overcoat.
Someone told me that tinting the primer risks messing up the job? Anyone's experience. I am redoing this job because the "pro" that painted this last time used latex on kitchen cabinets, and the paint is peeling because the latex is easily scraped off due to the waxy surface finish.
BTW, can I get him to repaint it free after 6 years? I guess I can ask, but this is due to a poor job the first time around.

tint doesn't affect the primer except for changing it's color.

probably not, but i would use a different painter, one who knows how to
do prep. why give repeat business to someone who has already proved they
don't know what they're doing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2013 5:07 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
Has anyone tried to tint a whitish primer with a dark color?
The overcoat is going to be an enamel walnut brown.
I noticed that sometimes, the white undercoat shows through, requiring a second overcoat.
Someone told me that tinting the primer risks messing up the job? Anyone's experience. I am redoing this job because the "pro" that painted this last time used latex on kitchen cabinets, and the paint is peeling because the latex is easily scraped off due to the waxy surface finish.
BTW, can I get him to repaint it free after 6 years? I guess I can ask, but this is due to a poor job the first time around.

My familiarity with primers doesn't include the new "all in one"
primer/paints, but I would not use them. Primers can only hold a
certain amount of pigment, so tints are limited. Just about any strong
color contrast between old and new coats will require at least two coats
of paint. Some pigments, especially, deep blues and reds, will have
label instructions indicating AT LEAST two coats to cover.

Free, after six years? Doubt it. I would not waste my time trying.
Did he suggest in a bid that latex would be appropriate? What is old
finish? Primed? Cleaned by whom?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Deodiaus wrote:
Has anyone tried to tint a whitish primer with a dark color?
The overcoat is going to be an enamel walnut brown.
I noticed that sometimes, the white undercoat shows through, requiring a second overcoat.
Someone told me that tinting the primer risks messing up the job?
Anyone's experience. I am redoing this job because the "pro" that
painted this last time used latex on kitchen cabinets, and the paint is
peeling because the latex is easily scraped off due to the waxy surface finish.
BTW, can I get him to repaint it free after 6 years? I guess I can ask,
but this is due to a poor job the first time around.

Remove a peeling door and take it to a real paint store, not a home
center's paint department. Ask them how to remove the old paint and
possibly the old "waxy" finish.

If you've already bought the paint, bring that along also. Let them
recommend the proper primer and let them tint the primer to work with your
paint - assuming they agree that it's the right paint for the project.

I've given up on home center's paint counters. I'd rather pay a little more
for good paint and better advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Jul 2013 14:07:40 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

Has anyone tried to tint a whitish primer with a dark color?
The overcoat is going to be an enamel walnut brown.
I noticed that sometimes, the white undercoat shows through, requiring a second overcoat.
Someone told me that tinting the primer risks messing up the job? Anyone's experience. I am redoing this job because the "pro" that painted this last time used latex on kitchen cabinets, and the paint is peeling because the latex is easily scraped off due to the waxy surface finish.
BTW, can I get him to repaint it free after 6 years? I guess I can ask, but this is due to a poor job the first time around.

Primer is tinted all the time. Works fine.(as long as the right
pigment is used)