Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mushrooms! Many Types, Random Locations

So who knows what about mushrooms?

Over past couple of weeks we've had quite a bit of rain. Recently, as I look in my backyard and in yards around the neighborhood, I see various types of mushrooms popping up in random locations.

Under my picnic table I had a small grouping of very pretty mushrooms with small, bright yellow tops. Under my deck overhang I had 2 big mushrooms, greyish, with huge hollow domed tops. A couple of houses down, my neighbor had a few mushrooms with perfectly flat tops. They looked like little tables.

So why the randomness of occurrence, both in type and location? I assume that the spores can be carried by the wind or perhaps by animals, but I wonder why there would be different varieties and either a very small grouping or even just one or two. In other words, if I've got a couple of different types in my yard, which is boxed in by wooden fences, the house, etc. why don't I see the same type in adjacent yards. Why the non-matching groups of one or two, isolated here and there?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 13:48:09 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Soil conditions? Height of lawn turf?

Just thinkin'
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The yellow mushrooms and the domed cap both sprouted in a mulched area,
1/2" to 1 reddish wood. The flat tops were in a sparse lawn area and in
plain dirt under a bush.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If y'all don't want to wait until they disappear by themselves,
spread some lime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 28, 2013 4:48:09 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I grow edible mushrooms and know a little about them. The mushroom is the fruit, put up by the mycelium which grows underground. The mycelium is a network of fungus fibers. When conditions are right, like in warm weather after a rain, they put up a mushroom which releases spores to blow around and hopefully start a new colony.

Sounds like you have a couple of colonies of different species. As the underground part gets larger, it will put up more mushrooms. Eventually, it will absorb all the nutrients in the area and die out.

MONSTER MUSHROOMS above ground-down-below-ground tree-trunk David Combs Home Repair 56 July 8th 11 09:13 PM
NEC and new electric panel locations Len56[_2_] Home Repair 12 March 2nd 09 02:05 AM
Lock locations John UK diy 23 October 31st 08 02:36 PM
Locations for gas boilers? andymason79 UK diy 15 October 31st 05 09:21 PM
Mushrooms on ceiling [email protected] UK diy 10 October 12th 05 07:09 AM