Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1987 Malta Double Hung Window Sash Removal

I have Malta non tilting double hung windows in my recently purchased house from 1987. I can't find any info on how to remove them from the frame. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

eric
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 28, 2013 12:16:47 PM UTC-4, E Larson wrote:
I have Malta non tilting double hung windows in my recently purchased house from 1987. I can't find any info on how to remove them from the frame. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

eric

Hi Oren,

I sent an email to them but they said no one was still there that knew anything about the older windows. It has to be fairly simple to do. I just don't want to learn by breaking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 10:42:38 -0700 (PDT), E Larson
wrote:

On Friday, June 28, 2013 12:16:47 PM UTC-4, E Larson wrote:
I have Malta non tilting double hung windows in my recently purchased house from 1987. I can't find any info on how to remove them from the frame. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

eric

Hi Oren,

I sent an email to them but they said no one was still there that knew anything about the older windows. It has to be fairly simple to do. I just don't want to learn by breaking.

Will the sash move to one side or the other, enough to clear the
vertical stop on one side? If so, it may pull out from one side so
you can get it out. Raise the sash to clear the bottom and then try
the side movement.

Can you post a photo on an imagine hosting site and post the link back
here?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 28, 2013 12:16:47 PM UTC-4, E Larson wrote:
I have Malta non tilting double hung windows in my recently purchased house from 1987. I can't find any info on how to remove them from the frame. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

eric

I tried to push to one side. The vertical stop is also in the middle of the sash. Is there a tool I need?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 28, 2013 12:16:47 PM UTC-4, E Larson wrote:
I have Malta non tilting double hung windows in my recently purchased house from 1987. I can't find any info on how to remove them from the frame. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

eric

I've looked at this a little closer. They are double hung windows. The pin that connects to the shoe is in the center of the sash. I'm thinking that I need to remove the screen, rotate the sash 90 degrees on the pins axis, then lift one side of the sash. Does that sound familiar?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 04:47:10 -0700 (PDT), E Larson
wrote:

I've looked at this a little closer. They are double hung windows. The pin that connects to the shoe is in the center of the sash. I'm thinking that I need to remove the screen, rotate the sash 90 degrees on the pins axis, then lift one side of the sash. Does that sound familiar?

I've never had tilt windows, but this sounds like a reasonable
possibility. Do any neighbors have the same brand? Perhaps a
neighbor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 28, 2013 12:16:47 PM UTC-4, E Larson wrote:
I have Malta non tilting double hung windows in my recently purchased house from 1987. I can't find any info on how to remove them from the frame. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

eric

This is how it works. I was able to get the window out. I'm surprised that I wasn't able to find this online. Oh well.