Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plywood, hardboard or else

Hi
I am trying to install dryer vent. I am going to mount the vent cap on basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

http://images.houseofhepworths.com/2...nt_2_hoh_6.jpg

my question:
is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up.

thank you so much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:
Hi
I am trying to install dryer vent. I am going to mount the vent cap on
basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a
piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

http://images.houseofhepworths.com/2...nt_2_hoh_6.jpg

my question:
is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something
strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up.

thank you so much.

I was installing two air vents with glass block today, in a cinderblock
wall. I wanted extra support, I used 2x8 treated lumber. I spray painted it
before I mounted it with Pl Premium.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2013 8:23 PM, leza wang wrote:
Hi
I am trying to install dryer vent. I am going to mount the vent cap on basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

http://images.houseofhepworths.com/2...nt_2_hoh_6.jpg

my question:
is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up.

thank you so much.

If you are concerned about a raccoon getting in, you sure don't want to
use a cheap plastic or aluminum vent. A raccoon can weigh 40 lbs and are
as strong as you are! If they want in the vent is the easiest route.

Steel vents are made for supplying combustion air to wood burning
stoves, but they have screens and are made for air coming in. I don't
know if there are versions for exhaust air.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:31:50 PM UTC-4, Gz wrote:
leza wang wrote:

Hi

I am trying to install dryer vent. I am going to mount the vent cap on

basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a

piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

http://images.houseofhepworths.com/2...nt_2_hoh_6.jpg

my question:

is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something

strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up.

thank you so much.

I was installing two air vents with glass block today, in a cinderblock

wall. I wanted extra support, I used 2x8 treated lumber. I spray painted it

before I mounted it with Pl Premium.

Greg

thanks Greg, the board should not be thick otherwise it want fit in the window. basically the wood will be act as one window slash so i have to slide it in. does the treated lumber comes as a thin sheet like plywood (around 1 cm in thinness)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:43:25 PM UTC-4, Paul Drahn wrote:
[...]

thanks Paul, i would love the idea to use a metal, not sure if home depo cut metal? i live in Toronto, Ontario. so any idea where i should go to get a metal piece? thanks once again

Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

[...]

Hi,
PT board like 1x6 one is around. If it is still too thick, how about
planing? Also cold winter weather has to be considered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

Hi

I am trying to install dryer vent. I am going to mount the vent cap on

basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a

piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

http://images.houseofhepworths.com/2...nt_2_hoh_6.jpg

my question:

is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something

strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up.

thank you so much.

I was installing two air vents with glass block today, in a cinderblock

wall. I wanted extra support, I used 2x8 treated lumber. I spray painted it

before I mounted it with Pl Premium.

Greg

thanks Greg, the board should not be thick otherwise it want fit in the window. basically the wood will be act as one window slash so i have to slide ith in. does the treated lumber comes as a thin sheet like plywood (around 1 cm in thinness)

Hi,

PT board like 1x6 one is around. If it is still too thick, how about

planing? Also cold winter weather has to be considered.

thank you for your reply .. what is pt board? what do you mean by "planning"? yes cold/snow weather should be considered as well. thank you so much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2013 8:53 PM, leza wang wrote:
[...]

This is similar to what I used:

http://www.airconditionerguard.com/dryer-vents.html

Do a Google search on "steel dryer vents" and look at what is available.
I don't know what prices and availability are.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 22, 2013 10:23:59 PM UTC-5, leza wang wrote:
Hi I am trying to install dryer vent. I am going to mount the vent cap on basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture http://images.houseofhepworths.com/2...nt_2_hoh_6.jpg my question: is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up. thank you so much.

Leeza,
What happened to the vent that you showed in a picture in an earlier post? You could replace that with an aluminimum vent, and then connect that to the pipe that you are connecting to the back of your dryer. I have a 90 degree adapter that goes on the back of my dryer to convert the horizontal output of the dryer to vertical output, then the aluminimum flexible pipe goes up and makes gradual bend to horizontal and then it connects to the pipe/vent that goes through the wall. Your earlier picture seemed to show a vent pipe coming through the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 21:22:11 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Saturday, June 22, 2013 10:23:59 PM UTC-5, leza wang wrote:
Hi I am trying to install dryer vent. I am going to mount the vent cap on basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture http://images.houseofhepworths.com/2...nt_2_hoh_6.jpg my question: is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up. thank you so much.

Leeza,
What happened to the vent that you showed in a picture in an earlier post?

My question too.

You could replace that with an aluminimum vent, and then connect that to the pipe that you are connecting to the back of your dryer. I have a 90 degree adapter that goes on the back of my dryer to convert the horizontal output of the dryer to vertical output, then the aluminimum flexible pipe goes up and makes gradual bend to horizontal and then it connects to the pipe/vent that goes through the wall. Your earlier picture seemed to show a vent pipe coming through the wall.

What became of the grey box that the current vent is connected to.
The far side was the laundry/furnace room. So why can't the far side
be connectred to the dryer? That pipe didn't look like a furnace
chimney or a dryer combustion air exhaust, so wasn't it for the dryer
warm air exhaust?

pt means pressure treated.

Before you close off the glass window with plywood or something, is
there any other source of natural light in that room? When the bulb
burns out or there is a power failure, it's nice to have the light of
the window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 00:59:03 -0400, micky
wrote:

pt means pressure treated.

And pressre treated means treated with liquid under pressure so it
seems as far into the wood as possible and keeps it from rotting in
wet weather. Used for decks, etc . I think my fence posts are pt
and probably my original rails, but my pickets and new rails are not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

[...]

PT = pressure treated. You can make board thinner using plane.
Spend some time at HD, Lowes, Rona browsing around. You will be able to
pick up an idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2013 11:43 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:

If you are concerned about a raccoon getting in, you sure don't want to
use a cheap plastic or aluminum vent. A raccoon can weigh 40 lbs and are
as strong as you are! If they want in the vent is the easiest route.

Steel vents are made for supplying combustion air to wood burning
stoves, but they have screens and are made for air coming in. I don't
know if there are versions for exhaust air.

Paul

To elaborate further, a raccoon can also shred apart wood in a matter of
minutes. If they really want in, not much of any wood will stop them.
Since the OP is using a thin piece, that won't stop a raccoon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 12:22:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

thanks for the reply, that pipe i traced it and it is for a fan which is mounted inside a wall. i do not know i might disconnect that fan and use that pipe for the dryer. i really think it is good idea. what you guys think?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

i agree, it is not good idea to close off the window. that pipe is for a fan in the wall in that laundry area. i might use it for the dryer vent. i really think it is good idea and will save me a lot of work. what you guys think? and thanks once again

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2013 7:59 AM, leza wang wrote:
[...]

I'd like to see a picture of the fan, inside the laundry room, before
deciding
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 07:51:41 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

On 6/22/2013 11:43 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:

If you are concerned about a raccoon getting in, you sure don't want to
use a cheap plastic or aluminum vent. A raccoon can weigh 40 lbs and are
as strong as you are! If they want in the vent is the easiest route.

Steel vents are made for supplying combustion air to wood burning
stoves, but they have screens and are made for air coming in. I don't
know if there are versions for exhaust air.

Paul

To elaborate further, a raccoon can also shred apart wood in a matter of
minutes. If they really want in, not much of any wood will stop them.
Since the OP is using a thin piece, that won't stop a raccoon.

Why does this raccoon want it at all. I've only had a raccoon
once, that I know about. He was going through the outside garbage
can. When I took flash pictures of him, it didn't seem to bother him
a bit. But he did leave a few seconds later.

He never tried to get inside afaik, and I leave my basement window
open all summer, except for a vinyl window screen, Well, it's open
5" x 5", but I think that is enough for a raccoon if he wanted in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Leza,

Planing is done with a plane. It's a way of removing wood from a board.
Planning is never done with home projects.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 8:07:31 AM UTC-4, RBM wrote:
[...]

thanks RBM, please see the video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq2HN...ature=youtu.be

thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

please see this video of my laundry room. thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq2HN...ature=youtu.be

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 07:05:55 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

thanks RBM, please see the video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq2HN...ature=youtu.be

thank you.

@ 1:11 in the video, is that a hole in the wall for the dryer vent?
What is directly outside the wall ... is there a dryer vent for
outside exhaust?
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:
Hi
I am trying to install dryer vent. I am going to mount the vent cap
on basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap
on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is
in this picture

http://images.houseofhepworths.com/2...nt_2_hoh_6.jpg

my question:
is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something
strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to
tear it up.

thank you so much.

You have raccoon problems? In Toronto? I live in central Florida and we
have raccoons, possums, wild pigs, bobcats, a rare bear or puma, eagles,
hawks and once a 10' python but I've never had a raccoon problem.

If it were me I'd probably go to a sheet metal shop and have them bend some
heavy weight aluminum into an open box the size of the board you need. I'd
have them make the edges as wide as will fit so that I could get a piece of
insulating foam to cut, fit and glue (contact or spray adhesive) inside the
open aluminum box. If necessary for structural strength, I'd screw strips
of 3/4 x3/4 inch wood onto the inside of the aluminum frame edges before
putting in the foam. The inside of the foam could be painted - the foam I'm
thinking of has a thin, metallic material on one side - or covered with thin
plywood or even covered with a glued on decorative fabric or wallpaper.

That should thwart coons, won't rot and provides a bit of insulating for
those cold Canadian times.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 10:43:23 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

and once a 10' python but I've never had a raccoon problem.

I hope you killed the python, please say you did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2013 10:07 AM, leza wang wrote:
[...]

Great video, I question the same thing as Oren, it appears that there is
a hole down low which could have been for a dryer vent, or possibly
something else behind that board. If there's not, I think I'd make a
hole to the right of the window instead of loosing part of the window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2013 9:03 AM, micky wrote:

Why does this raccoon want it at all.

I agree. If there's a reason he wants in, that problem needs to be resolved.

The OP indicated concerns about the Raccoon, therefore, I thought it
best she realize a Raccoon can get through that wood if it really wanted to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 9:30:02 AM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 07:05:55 -0700 (PDT), leza wang wrote: thanks RBM, please see the video below http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq2HN...ature=youtu.be thank you. @ 1:11 in the video, is that a hole in the wall for the dryer vent? What is directly outside the wall ... is there a dryer vent for outside exhaust?

What is behind the 8" wide by 4' tall board in the corner. Where does the hole in the wall next to the floor to the left of the board go.

Surely there must be someone in the neighborhood who is a handyman/handylady who can help you figure out where the previous owner hooked up the dryer to vent outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Here's what I find interesting...

In Leza's previous thread, you (RBM) specifically asked her:

"It looks like a wall mounted exhaust fan. Is it a bathroom on the other
side of that wall?"

To which she very politely replied:

"Thanks for the reply, no not bathroom but the dryer and washer there
behind that half wall. the whole room is for the dryer, washer, furnace
and hot tank water."

Now she tells (and shows) us that the box is indeed for a wall mounted
exhaust fan.

I wonder why she didn't tell us that when you asked. Maybe she wasn't at
home at the time?

In any case, I don't know if that's a hole behind the dryer. It almost
looks like the dryer was never connected to anything and the hot air has
just been blowing on the wall melting the paint.

Hard to tell....Leza?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 11:41:12 AM UTC-4, RBM wrote:
[...]

+1

Simple and straightforward, how it should be done. The laundry room
in on an outside wall. Make a hole, put in a dryer vent. Using a window
is a sure sign of a hack job. Also, that vent fan, installed where it
is, makes no sense to me. Looks like somone decided to vent the dryer
into the laundry room, then put in a fan to ventilate the laundry room.
Bad.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 2:20:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

ok now i have this question, who can do the hole in the wall? who should i call? i can go to yellow page and look but under which trade? thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2013 4:05 PM, leza wang wrote:
[...]

What about our question related to the bottom of the wall behind the
dryer? Is that a hole or just melted paint?

As far as a new hole in the wall for the vent, what is the wall made of?
Based on the slanted sill below the window, I'm guessing it's a block
wall, perhaps parged (coated) with a layer of cement and then painted?

How is the exterior of the wall finished? Siding of some kind? Stucco?
Something else?

Details, my friend, details. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:19:34 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

ok sure i am happy to answer all your question so you can help me better. first, i found out later that the box is for a wall mounted fan. about the wood blocks you saw in the video, they are there to hide melted paint/wall! it is not a hole yet but it is wet area. i think it is time to fix that too but not sure what is the material is used. i do not think it is drywall, it is old house so i think it is blaster... the outside is wood (or hardboard) siding
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 15:27:03 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

Leza,

The probing question here is what is behind the dryer, near the floor
(where the wood is standing behind the dryer). Is that a hole that you
can look into and see daylight? Obviously that is an outside wall and
a proper location for the dryer vent exhaust.

Maybe we have a communication breakdown? Unless we know if this is a
hole penetrating the wall we will just be wasting time.

We want to know about the area BEHIND the dryer for the moment. You
never answered that question when it came up.

Just for now, please focus on that question.

Right now forget the area where the furnace / wires and other things
are. Specifically inside the laundry room.

We want to help, but we need a logical progression in the facts so
things can be answered.

Look at your video. Stop at 1:12 - is that a hole near the floor?

Yes or No.
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:
[...]

"it is a wet area"

OK, before you even worry about whether the interior wall finish is plaster
or drywall, you need to deal with the moisture. Moisture will lead to mold,
rot, insects, and many other problems. You need to find out where the
moisture is coming from and eliminate the cause before you worry about
fixing the interior finish of the wall.

Back to your dryer vent, you haven't told us what the wall itself is made
from. Is it a block wall or a poured wall or a wood stud wall?

If it's a wood stud wall, any decent handy person should be able to drill a
4 hole and properly install a dryer vent. If it's a block or poured wall,
that's a different story. It would help us help you if we knew what the
wall itself was made of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I would call a carpenter/handyman. Either should be able to install a
proper dryer vent kit
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

ok now i have this question, who can do the hole in the wall? who
should i call? i can go to yellow page and look but under which
trade? thanks

Handyman or capenter. Handyman would probably be best for such a small
thing but get and check with
2-4 recent past customers.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

and once a 10' python but I've never had a raccoon problem.

I hope you killed the python, please say you did.

Of course not!!

It was draped over the hood of my ex FIL's car in his garage. He was
useless in helping me catch it so I had him call a trapper. Trapper and I
corraled it, bagged it - not easy, FIL had recently moved here, brought 16
tons of junk with him most of which was also in the garage - and he took it
away promising to find it a loving home. Yeah, right.

---

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

and once a 10' python but I've never had a raccoon problem.

I hope you killed the python, please say you did.

Of course not!!

It was draped over the hood of my ex FIL's car in his garage. He was
useless in helping me catch it so I had him call a trapper. Trapper and I
corraled it, bagged it - not easy, FIL had recently moved here, brought 16
tons of junk with him most of which was also in the garage - and he took it
away promising to find it a loving home. Yeah, right.

Good for you. I'm just GLAD it was not left in the environment. They
are exotic, non-native and destroy the native animals.

Careless pet owners release them into the wild. Many escaped from pet
stores or a zoo (Hurricane Andrew).

They have a vicious bite, eat pets, and could swallow a small child. A
big python in the Everglades decided to eat a whole alligator -- big
mistake. News video.

Thanks for doing your part!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 03:31:50 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

leza wang wrote:
Hi
I am trying to install dryer vent. I am going to mount the vent cap on
basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a
piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

http://images.houseofhepworths.com/2...nt_2_hoh_6.jpg

my question:
is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something
strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up.

thank you so much.

I was installing two air vents with glass block today, in a cinderblock
wall. I wanted extra support, I used 2x8 treated lumber. I spray painted it
before I mounted it with Pl Premium.

Greg

HDPE. Nothing will chew it, it won't rot, split or warp.
Or use Lexan and you still have a window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 20:43:25 -0700, Paul Drahn
wrote:

[...]

They will work both ways - at least the ones I've seen - but they
don't have a damper so air will find it's way out by itself as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

[...]

Nobody will thank you for using their plane on pressure treated
wood.

Hardboard Frank Erskine UK diy 8 June 21st 12 08:26 PM
Hardboard or Plywood for under laminate flooring? Steven Campbell UK diy 6 April 3rd 11 02:18 PM
Is t1-11 hardboard or plywood? mm Home Repair 20 August 11th 08 07:17 PM
Recommendation for reasonably priced, high quality 10" blade for cutting birch plywood and oak-veneer plywood blueman Woodworking 9 October 31st 06 09:45 PM
Not all 1/4 " hardboard is 1/4" tiredofspam Woodworking 11 January 25th 05 04:48 PM