Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does anyone make an electronic PH/chemical test/monitor for a swimming pool?

Does anyone make an electronic PH/chemical test/monitor for a swimming pool?

I'm getting tired of playing lab tech testing pool chemicals by the manual
method.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 21:04:41 -0500, "NotMe" wrote:

Does anyone make an electronic PH/chemical test/monitor for a swimming pool?

I'm getting tired of playing lab tech testing pool chemicals by the manual
method.

TIA

Yes. Limited to pH, Chlorine, and temperature. You still have to do
other tests. No experience with it or my recommendation as I've not
used one.

•Works on regular, salt water and mineral pools
•Continual 24/7 monitoring of pH, chlorine and water temperature
•Accurate analysis
•No guesswork or test strips needed
•Easy to set up and use with any PC or Mac
•Easy to read messages automatically sent to your computer
•Can be programmed to send email and text messages
•Software upgrades easily managed
•Patented technology
•Includes 20 consumer handouts per master case
•Requires four (4) AA batteries (not included)
•1 year Customer Support
•Full replacement warranty-90 days

http://www.game-group.com/products/epool/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 19:23:24 -0700, Oren wrote:

Yes. Limited to pH, Chlorine, and temperature. You still have to do
other tests. No experience with it or my recommendation as I've not
used one.

•Works on regular, salt water and mineral pools
•Continual 24/7 monitoring of pH, chlorine and water temperature
•Accurate analysis
•No guesswork or test strips needed
•Easy to set up and use with any PC or Mac
•Easy to read messages automatically sent to your computer
•Can be programmed to send email and text messages
•Software upgrades easily managed
•Patented technology
•Includes 20 consumer handouts per master case
•Requires four (4) AA batteries (not included)
•1 year Customer Support
•Full replacement warranty-90 days

http://www.game-group.com/products/epool/

Another option:

AquaChek Pool & Spa Digital Test Strip Reader

" Numerical test results for Free Chlorine/Bromine, pH and Total
Alkalinity – “low”, “ok” or “high” indicators for each test parameter"

http://www.poolsuppliessuperstore.com/poolsupplies/AquaChek-Pool-And-Spa-Digital-Test-Strip-Reader-1300.html

~ $45.00
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 19:47:46 -0700, Oren wrote:

[...]

Hanna Instruments makes a wide range of PH testers the phep
HI98107 is very good - PH 98103 Checker is less expensive.
Senior Member

Regardless of what the advertising says, please be advised that no one makes a pocket pH tester that will give you reliable results week after week for months on end.

Every pocket pH tester on the market has to be calibrated once a week or so, and that means buying "pH buffer solutions" from the company that made your tester. All a pH buffer solution is is a liquid with a accurately known pH, and they typically make them in pH's of 4, 7 and 10.

You put your pocket tester in the pH=4 buffer solution and turn one dial or press one button until the tester reads 4. Then you do the same thing with the pH=7 buffer solution, and adjust a second dial or push another button until the meter reads 7.0. That's it. Now your pH meter is properly calibrated, and will take accurate readings for from a few days to maybe a week or so. The preceding is how you'd calibrate a pH tester if you're typically measuring the pH of acidic liquids, like wines or juices.

If you're typically testing alkaline liquids, then you'd do the same thing, only using the 7 and 10 buffer solutions, which are neutral and alkaline.

You're supposed to throw your buffer solution out after each calibration because they say you supposedly can't use it more than once...
...but that don't make no sense to me because all it is is a liquid with a known pH, so why would the pH of the buffer solution change just as a result of testing it's pH?

Also, I have yet to have anyone explain to me why I even need to keep buying buffer solution. If I calibrate my meter accurately using two buffer solutions (ph of 4 and 7 say) and then measure the pH of Tropicana Orange Juice as 4.9 and Parmalat Homogonized milk as 11.7, why can't I then keep using Tropicana Orange Juice and Parmalat Homogonized milk as my buffer solutions, and simply calibrate my meter so that it reads 4.9 and 11.7 respectively, and that'd be good enough. Yes, you'd have to keep checking with real buffer solution to make sure that the pH of the Tropicana Orange Juice or Parmalat Milk you're buying isn't drifting, but that would at least greatly reduce the amount of buffer solution you need to buy, and you can at least consume the orange juice and milk after using it to calibrate your meter, whereas no one is going to drink the buffer solution.

Hach Company also makes pocket testers for pH, total salinity, temperature and all of that kinda stuff. I expect they're no better nor worse than Hanna's pocket tester; both companies are big names in the field of pH testing.

http://www.hach.com/

I spent quite a bit of time trying to find a fast, easy and accurate way to test the pH of the condensate from my heating boilers so that I could tell when it was time to clean the filtration media in my neutralizing bed. And, what I found was that if you want to shed the muss and bother of using a chemical testing kit in favour of an electronic tester, you have to put up with the weekly calibrations using buffer solutions. And, in my case, the acidity of my condensate goes down as the CO2 comes out of solution, so WHEN I test the pH makes a big difference too, making any meter's reading completely unreliable. So, now I'm back to the method I've been using for years; I simply collect a sample of the condensate, taste it, and if it's starting to taste acidic, then I know it's time to clean the pH neutralizing media. That's fast and easy, and it's as accurate as I really need.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by nestork : June 22nd 13 at 06:53 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 22, 2013 12:49:28 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
Regardless of what the advertising says, please be advised that no one

makes a pocket pH tester that will give you reliable results week after

week for months on end.

Every pocket pH tester on the market has to be calibrated once a week or

so, and that means buying "pH buffer solutions" from the company that

made your tester. All a pH buffer solution is is a liquid with a

accurately known pH, and they typically make them in pH 4, 7 and 10.

You put your pocket tester in the pH=4 buffer solution and turn one dial

or press one button until the tester reads 4. Then you do the same

thing with the pH=7 buffer solution, and adjust the dial or push the

button until the meter reads 7.0. That's it. Now your pH meter is

properly calibrated, and will take accurate readings for a week or so.

The preceding is how you'd calibrate a pH tester if you're typically

measuring the pH of acidic liquids, like wines or juices.

If you're typically testing alkaline liquids, then you'd do the same

thing, only using the 7 and 10 buffer solutions, which are neutral and

alkaline.

You're supposed to throw your buffer solution out after each calibration

because they say you supposedly can't use it more than once...

..but that don't make no sense to me because all it is is a liquid with

a known pH, so why would the pH of the buffer solution change just as a

result of testing it?

Also, I have yet to have anyone explain to me why I even need to buy

buffer solution. If I calibrate my meter accurately, and then measure

the pH of Tropicana Orange Juice as 4.9 and Parmalat Homogonized milk as

11.7, why can't I then keep using Tropicana Orange Juice and Parmalat

Homogonized milk as my buffer solutions, and simply calibrate my meter

so that it reads 4.9 and 11.7 respectively, and that'd be good enough.

Yes, you'd have to keep checking to make sure that the pH of the

Tropicana Orange Juice or Parmalat Milk you're buying isn't drifting,

but after testing the pH, you can at least consume these things so the

testing doesn't actually cost you anything, whereas no one is going to

drink the buffer testing solution.

--

nestork

I agree with those that say yes they area available,
but how accurate, what drawbacks you find after you
shell out the bucks, IDK. They might offer a little
more convenience, but they aren't going to make the
pool chemistry any better. The color based reagent
ones are well within the requied accuracy.

I don't have a problem with
using the conventional liquid based test kits. I use
two:

Cheap $7 one that does PH, acid demand. total alkalynity
and CL. I use that couple times a week. For $7 at the local
pool store, it lasts a couple of seasons.

Taylor 2006, $70. It does:

CL total/free
PH acid/base demand
Total alkalynity
CA hardness
CYA

That's everything the pool store guys do.
It's going on it's third season now, plenty
of original chemicals available for another
couple years. Just needed more CYA solution
so far, got enough for several years for $8 on Ebay.

I know some are going to say you can take the
water to the pool store for free. But this way,
I can test it any time I want, without making a
trip. And I feel kind of awkward, when the kid at
the pool store tests the water and tells me "You
need 20lbs of Balance Pak 300, that's $50, so
I say no because I know I can get baking soda at
Costco for $12
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2013 9:04 PM, NotMe wrote:
Does anyone make an electronic PH/chemical test/monitor for a swimming pool?

I'm getting tired of playing lab tech testing pool chemicals by the manual
method.

TIA

Here's the one I use. I calibrate it about once a week or so.

http://www.heavydutysupplies.com/ser...FQ3l7AodVWMAdA

http://tinyurl.com/kndezau

It's spot on with the pool store's test but, you do have to calibrate
them often.
Senior Member

Notme:

Get on Hach or Hanna's web site and phone their tech support 1-800 phone number.

Tell them you're wanting a pH tester that doesn't require regular calibration with pH buffer solutions, and see what they say.

Then, decide whether you want to trade the muss and fuss of testing with chemicals for the muss and fuss of pH calibration.

Also, ask them why you CAN'T use the same buffer solution over and over again for a month or two, cuz that's something I never understood. My vinegar doesn't get any less sour every time I use it on french fries, so why would it get less or more sour if I test it's pH?

Last edited by nestork : June 22nd 13 at 08:25 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nestork" wrote in message

Here in Winnipeg, having a swimming pool in your back yard is like
having air conditioning in your car...

..you need it for about 4 weeks; last two weeks in July and first two
weeks in August, and that's about it. Any other time of the year, you
just roll your window down or put on a t-shirt and pair of shorts and
you're OK. Lots of people have A/C in their cars, and some even have
swimming pools in their back yards, but they only get used for 4 weeks
or so a year.

Women want A/C in their cars because if they sweat, their make-up runs
down their face, and that makes them look kinda like the zombies from
"Night of the Living Dead". Most women I know don't want to look like a
zombie from "Night of the Living Dead". No offense to zombies.

I'm in N. Texas where there winter is the 2nd week end if Feb and the other
three seasons are hot, very hot and jalapeño.

My grand kids have drawn a picture of our house. It has a frount door a
back door (very little in between) and a pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 06:49:28 +0200, nestork
wrote:

[...]

The Phep is self calibrating - you do need the buffer - but it can be
purchaced from any scientific supply - you don't need to buy it from
Hanna - and calibrating once a month is overkill.

If you're typically testing alkaline liquids, then you'd do the same
thing, only using the 7 and 10 buffer solutions, which are neutral and
alkaline.

You're supposed to throw your buffer solution out after each calibration
because they say you supposedly can't use it more than once...
..but that don't make no sense to me because all it is is a liquid with
a known pH, so why would the pH of the buffer solution change just as a
result of testing it?

If it gets contaminated with something that is not the same pH it
changes - and you only need 2 drops to calibrate a pHep. We used them
for years to check the ph of radiator coolant. A 4 oz bottle of
calibration fluid would last you 10 years.

[...]

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
We found the 98107 to be repeatable within 2 points or better with
calibration done monthly. Actually a lot better than their higher
priced units. Get about 3 years out of one if taken care of, using to
check antifreeze pH in an automotive repair shop - used anywhere from
once a week to 10 times a day or more.
I just wish that your experience with this meter was the same as everyone else's experience with it:

Warning - Calibrate your pHep HI98107 - Absolute Beginners - Grasscity Forums

Hanna pH meter problem - Absolute Beginners - Grasscity Forums

Both treads in that forum were started by the same guy (nick: "Wardrobe"). He bought a brand new Hanna Phep HI98107 and is extremely disappointed with it because it's reading drifts 0.1 pH per day without recalibration. On Monday he recalibrated to a 7.01 pH buffer solution, and by Friday that meter was reading the buffer solution to be 7.4 pH. So, in a month, as you say you were using your meter between recalibrations, his pH is gonna to be off by 3, in which case you could guestimate the pH more accurately by just tasting the pool water.

Last edited by nestork : June 23rd 13 at 08:02 AM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
The water quality team I am on has about 50 of these pH testers and we
have to calibrate them almost every time we use them because they fail
the initial check with the standards. (+/- 0.2)
pH meters are notorious for being fickle.

The people that provide pH testing kits know that and that's why they provide the chemical test kits. It's a lot of fuss, but at least you get accurate results. If there were a better solution, everyone would gravitate to it just like every one gravitates to every better mousetrap that's ever been built.

Last edited by nestork : June 23rd 13 at 05:06 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 03:24:00 +0200, nestork
wrote:

;3082996 Wrote:

We found the 98107 to be repeatable within 2 points or better with
calibration done monthly. Actually a lot better than their higher
priced units. Get about 3 years out of one if taken care of, using to
check antifreeze pH in an automotive repair shop - used anywhere from
once a week to 10 times a day or more.

I just wish that your experience with this meter was the same as
everyone else's experience with it:

'Warning - Calibrate your pHep HI98107 - Absolute Beginners - Grasscity
Forums' (http://tinyurl.com/lgd24kk)

'Hanna pH meter problem - Absolute Beginners - Grasscity Forums'
(http://tinyurl.com/kpcrgdf)

Both treads in that forum were started by the same guy (nick:
"Wardrobe"). He bought a brand new Hanna Phep HI98107 and is extremely
disappointed with it because it's reading drifts 0.1 pH per day without
recalibration. On Monday he recalibrated to a 7.01 buffer solution, and
by Friday that meter was reading the buffer solution to be 7.4 So, in
a month, as you say you were using your between recalibrations, his pH
is gonna to off by 3, in which case you could guestimate the pH more
accurately by tasting the pool water.

My experience was when recalibrating after a month we were within .2
Calibrate to 7.01 and when checked a month later it read 7.2 ot 6.88
at worst. And that was the same for 3 units.

Out of 5, 3 remaineid useable for over 3 years, while 2 others died
within a year.(left to dry out, they don't last worth a crap)

Perhaps the guy with the problems didn't take care of his????