Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Re-Charging Batteries

Yesterday I bought a Black and Decker cordless string trimmer. It came with two rechargeable batteries and the directions say that the first time, may take 9 hours for it to charge. We got home from the store and started re-charging the first one about 10 a.m. When I got ready for bed at 9 p.m. the green light was still on ... a sign (according to the instructions) that it was not fully charged. I unplugged it and started it again about an hour and a half ago.

I wonder if there is something wrong with the battery and at what point do I unplug it and take it back to the store? Or should I hook it up to the string trimmer and just see how long it runs before I do anything?

This is my first experience with this type of machine. Always had the kind with a cord before. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 21, 2013 7:40:57 AM UTC-4, Dottie wrote:
Yesterday I bought a Black and Decker cordless string trimmer. It came with two rechargeable batteries and the directions say that the first time, may take 9 hours for it to charge. We got home from the store and started re-charging the first one about 10 a.m. When I got ready for bed at 9 p.m. the green light was still on ... a sign (according to the instructions) that it was not fully charged. I unplugged it and started it again about an hour and a half ago.

It would have been fine to leave it overnight.

I wonder if there is something wrong with the battery and at what point do I unplug it and take it back to the store? Or should I hook it up to the string trimmer and just see how long it runs before I do anything?

If it does not charge by the end of the day take it back. They will give you a new one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
Yesterday I bought a Black and Decker cordless string trimmer. It came with two rechargeable batteries and the directions say that the first time, may take 9 hours for it to charge. We got home from the store and started re-charging the first one about 10 a.m. When I got ready for bed at 9 p.m. the green light was still on ... a sign (according to the instructions) that it was not fully charged. I unplugged it and started it again about an hour and a half ago.

I wonder if there is something wrong with the battery and at what point do I unplug it and take it back to the store? Or should I hook it up to the string trimmer and just see how long it runs before I do anything?

This is my first experience with this type of machine. Always had the kind with a cord before. Thanks.

Hi,
If the green light is on solid charging is done. If it is blinking, it
is still charging. I have same trimmer and like it. One battery lasts
20-30 minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/21/13 12:22 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

[...]

Not on mine: Green LED ON means it's still charging; when the battery is
fully charged the LED goes out. (I have some older B&D chargers that
work differently.)

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

My camera battery charge does that but B&D Lithium battery charger does
as I mentioned. I bought it from Lowes couple months ago on sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2013 6:40 AM, Dottie wrote:
Yesterday I bought a Black and Decker cordless string trimmer.
It came with two rechargeable batteries and the directions say
that the first time, may take 9 hours for it to charge.
We got home from the store and started re-charging the first
one about 10 a.m. When I got ready for bed at 9 p.m. the green
light was still on ... a sign (according to the instructions) that
it was not fully charged. I unplugged it and started it again about
an hour and a half ago.
I wonder if there is something wrong with the battery and at what
point do I unplug it and take it back to the store? Or should I hook
it up to the string trimmer and just see how long it runs before I do anything?
This is my first experience with this type of machine.
Always had the kind with a cord before. Thanks.

They must all be different because my Black and Decker cordless string
trimmer (older model) is red while charging and then turns green when
completed...go figure.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 21, 2013 7:40:57 AM UTC-4, Dottie wrote:
Yesterday I bought a Black and Decker cordless string trimmer. It came with two rechargeable batteries and the directions say that the first time, may take 9 hours for it to charge. We got home from the store and started re-charging the first one about 10 a.m. When I got ready for bed at 9 p.m. the green light was still on ... a sign (according to the instructions) that it was not fully charged. I unplugged it and started it again about an hour and a half ago.

I wonder if there is something wrong with the battery and at what point do I unplug it and take it back to the store? Or should I hook it up to the string trimmer and just see how long it runs before I do anything?

This is my first experience with this type of machine. Always had the kind with a cord before. Thanks.

The instructions say that the green light is on while it is charging and it will go off when it has finished. It shows pictures -- and the grey screen is what it looks like when fully charged.

We used one of the batteries today - before it was fully charged -- and it worked for about 20 minutes. I have the other new one charging (started at 8:45 a.m. today) and still going. When, and if, it finishes -- I will re-charge the one we used today. I read somewhere else that it was not unusual for it to take 10 hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 14:51:27 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

The instructions say that the green light is on while it is charging and it will go off when it has finished. It shows pictures -- and the grey screen is what it looks like when fully charged.

We used one of the batteries today - before it was fully charged -- and it worked for about 20 minutes. I have the other new one charging (started at 8:45 a.m. today) and still going. When, and if, it finishes -- I will re-charge the one we used today. I read somewhere else that it was not unusual for it to take 10 hours.

Not sure about my charger at the moment, about color LED's, etc.

I have not properly seated the battery in the charger before. Ensure
you do that or it will not charge... BTDT.