Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable Air Conditioner

Central AC went out and it's not a viable alternative at the moment to
replace it. I live in USDA growing zone 9b with high 2 digit/low 3 digit
temps and am looking to get a portable AC or one of those portable evap
coolers. the main room I'm looking to cool is about a little over 350
square feet

Costco has the DeLonghi Pinguino 11,000 BTU, 3-in-1 Portable Room Air
Conditioner/ Dehumidifier/ Fan for $299 which looks like it would work.
Are these things that noisy, are they a workable short term (3 years?)
solution. Would the evap cooler keep the temp reasonable. I'm not
looking to get down below 75 or so degrees

Recommendations appreciated
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:40:24 AM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
Central AC went out and it's not a viable alternative at the moment to

replace it. I live in USDA growing zone 9b with high 2 digit/low 3 digit

temps and am looking to get a portable AC or one of those portable evap

coolers. the main room I'm looking to cool is about a little over 350

square feet

Costco has the DeLonghi Pinguino 11,000 BTU, 3-in-1 Portable Room Air

Conditioner/ Dehumidifier/ Fan for $299 which looks like it would work.

Are these things that noisy, are they a workable short term (3 years?)

solution. Would the evap cooler keep the temp reasonable. I'm not

looking to get down below 75 or so degrees

Recommendations appreciated

Portable ones have ducts you need to run between the room and the outside. No easy way to do that except a window. So I'd just get a couple small window units for the rooms I spend most of my time in. Family room and bedroom for me. Then sell them on cl when I'm done with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:40:24 PM UTC-7, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
Central AC went out and it's not a viable alternative at the moment to

replace it. I live in USDA growing zone 9b with high 2 digit/low 3 digit

temps and am looking to get a portable AC or one of those portable evap

coolers. the main room I'm looking to cool is about a little over 350

square feet

Costco has the DeLonghi Pinguino 11,000 BTU, 3-in-1 Portable Room Air

Conditioner/ Dehumidifier/ Fan for $299 which looks like it would work.

Are these things that noisy, are they a workable short term (3 years?)

solution. Would the evap cooler keep the temp reasonable. I'm not

looking to get down below 75 or so degrees

Recommendations appreciated

Is it a one pipe or a two pipe?
If there is only one pipe or duct where hot air is being blown outside don’t buy it.
If there are two pipes or ducts where one duct is blowing hot air outside and another is sucking air in from the outside then buy it. By outside I mean like your yard (outdoors).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 22:40:24 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

Central AC went out and it's not a viable alternative at the moment to
replace it. I live in USDA growing zone 9b with high 2 digit/low 3 digit
temps and am looking to get a portable AC or one of those portable evap
coolers. the main room I'm looking to cool is about a little over 350
square feet

Costco has the DeLonghi Pinguino 11,000 BTU, 3-in-1 Portable Room Air
Conditioner/ Dehumidifier/ Fan for $299 which looks like it would work.
Are these things that noisy, are they a workable short term (3 years?)
solution. Would the evap cooler keep the temp reasonable. I'm not
looking to get down below 75 or so degrees

Recommendations appreciated

If the humidity is over about 15% the evap won't work very well. I
have one of those DeLonghi systems from Costco. It will cool a
bedroom OK, that's the only sized room I've tried it in, probably
about 150 sf. Seems like it would work in a 350 sf room if you could
close off the doorways. Here's the problem I found... I bought it
hoping to turn off my upstairs AC system and just cool the one
bedroom. So I turned off the 3 ton AC and ran the DeLonghi for a
month. Checked my Utility bill and there was NO savings. It cost
about the same to cool the whole upstairs with the central unit as it
did to cool the one room with the DeLonghi. If it's like the one I
got it should be pretty quiet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 21:56:16 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:50:30 PM UTC-7, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:10:31 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

[...]

According to Consumer Reports there is very little difference in

energy use between those two kinds. I vote for a window unit if

that's doable.

Consumer Reports sucks. They only evaluate s... products.

I tend to agree but there aren't a lot of options for comparisons of
these things. At least with CR there is a chance they actually
compared power use which is more then you can say for the typical
anecdotal reviews you find.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you looking for best portable ac units visit us on our website http://www.best-portableairconditioner.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/20/2013 12:40 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
Central AC went out and it's not a viable alternative at the moment to
replace it. I live in USDA growing zone 9b with high 2 digit/low 3 digit
temps and am looking to get a portable AC or one of those portable evap
coolers. the main room I'm looking to cool is about a little over 350
square feet

Costco has the DeLonghi Pinguino 11,000 BTU, 3-in-1 Portable Room Air
Conditioner/ Dehumidifier/ Fan for $299 which looks like it would work.
Are these things that noisy, are they a workable short term (3 years?)
solution. Would the evap cooler keep the temp reasonable. I'm not
looking to get down below 75 or so degrees

Recommendations appreciated

A) Moderately

B) 3 yr "solution"???? I'd certainly think not.(+)

C) A single room bearable, probably.

You've got to have/install a window vent for exhaust heat and the
condensate drain is just a tank you'll have to empty regularly just like
a dehumidifier.

If you're really not going to get the central fixed for that long a time
period for some reason, I'd suggest just going ahead and getting a
window unit -- can probably get nearly double the Btu at about the same
cost and will more than likely be able to keep most of house at least
bearable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

2 or 3 window units will be cheaper than one portable, more convenient and more efficent too...

a couple hours before bedtime turn on the bedroom window unit, while the famly room still has air and remains comfy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable Air Conditioner - spammer

writes:

If you looking for best portable ac units visit us on our website
http://www.best-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com

Hey, I might even be in the market for one of those.
Since I would never do anything idiotic, like buy something from
a spammer, I've made a note to not buy anything from your web site.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:40:24 AM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
Are these things that noisy, are they a workable short term (3 years?)
solution. Would the evap cooler keep the temp reasonable. I'm not
looking to get down below 75 or so degrees

Any unit should certainly provide you with 3 years of service, and 11,000 BTU should be adequate for 350 square feet.

Noisy is in the ears of the beholder, and workable depends on what you'll be willing to put up with in the name of comfort. Cool or quiet. You choose.

I purchased an 8000 BTU "single tube" unit for a small RV last summer for $179. I ran it in my bedroom for several nights before loading it in the RV. It kept the room extremely cool and I had no issues sleeping with it running. It works fine in the RV as well.