Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bi-fold closet door

On Jun 17, 3:08*pm, Meanie wrote:
I want to install a bi-fold door on a closet opening which doesn't have
molding. It's a clean drywall opening from out to in. A bi-fold door has
the sliding track which mounts to the top and I want it installed
flushed with the front wall. Unfortunately, the track will be seen on a
plain and clean opening. Anyone know of a way to hide the track without
installing a door molding?

Gracias

Don't mount the track flush with the front wall.

Rip a piece of thin stock to the "height" of the track and use
construction adhesive to glue it to the face of the track. Mount the
track so that the wooden strip is flush with the face of the orginal
walls, fill any gap with drywall mud or wood putty, sand smooth and
paint to match the walls.

Just make sure your doors will operate properly with the wooden strip
attached to the track.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 12:33:26 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jun 17, 3:08*pm, Meanie wrote:
[...]

Quarter-round molding? I thought about that when I put a bi-fold in.
But, I really don't spend time looking at the track

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jun 17, 3:08*pm, Meanie wrote:
[...]

Quarter round might work, depending on the size of the tack. Some
installers use that, especially if there is already trim around the
opening. They'll use quarter round down the sides too to hide any gap
between the opening and the bi-fold door.

If there is no trim, some installers will simply install trim - it
could be any type of wood with any type of profile - across the top of
the opening, mounting it low enough to cover the track. If it sized
and profiled correctly, like to match a head board or piece of
furniture, it could add a nice feature to the room.

The method I suggested was to fulfill the OP's desire to keep the
"clean" look of the current opening by essentially extending the wall
above the opening down to hide the track.

Bi-fold closet door Meanie[_4_] Home Repair 4 June 18th 13 03:34 AM
Bi-fold door slider GB UK diy 8 May 18th 10 11:11 PM
top mounted bi-fold door rolsonDesign Woodworking 1 November 14th 06 08:30 PM
bi-fold door dkhedmo Home Repair 1 November 6th 06 04:43 PM
bi-fold closet doors James Lewis Home Repair 1 April 1st 06 04:29 PM