Posted to alt.home.repair

Default peel and stick tiles

Hi
I want to change/upgrade the flooring of the bedroom. I want to do something quick and easy to install. So I thought about peel and stick tiles but I am not sure if they can stick nicely on the floor of the bedroom which is now laminate floor (not sure though, please see pictures below)

http://tinypic.com/r/300bi36/5

http://tinypic.com/r/jio10i/5

My question, would I have problem using peel and stick tiles on this floor or do I need to use a glue?

Thanks a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 22:17:43 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

Hi
I want to change/upgrade the flooring of the bedroom. I want to do something quick and easy to install. So I thought about peel and stick tiles but I am not sure if they can stick nicely on the floor of the bedroom which is now laminate floor (not sure though, please see pictures below)

http://tinypic.com/r/300bi36/5

http://tinypic.com/r/jio10i/5

My question, would I have problem using peel and stick tiles on this floor or do I need to use a glue?

Thanks a lot.

A friend used peel and stick on a 100-year old floor that had held a
printing shop. The floor had 100 years of dirt in it and the tile
didn't stick for long. If yours is clean and smooth and flat, it
will probably do a lot better. Dips won't interfere, but bumps will.

They've been selling the stuff for 40 or more years so it must be
satisfactory most of the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I don't see why it would not work either. But it would not be among
my choices for a bedroom. It does look like what is there now is one
of the engineered laminate wood products. It's possible that it
could
be refininshed and then you'd have a nice wood floor. Most of them
can be sanded at least a couple of times, but it would depend on
the condition, defects, etc of the whole floor.

If that can't be done, and cost is a factor, then I'd look at one of
the fake laminates, like Pergo. IMO, that would look a lot better
than tiles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply guys. I would love to install laminates but I do not know how to do it and I need to finish it asap, that is why I decided to go with peel and stick tiles. Is it easy to install Laminates? is it easy like peel and stick? Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply guys. I would love to install laminates but I do not know how to do it and I need to finish it asap, that is why I decided to go with peel and stick tiles. Is it easy to install Laminates? is it easy like peel and stick? Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Have you thought about carpet tiles for a bedroom. Softer on the feet
when walking around barefoot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm sure there are plenty of DIY videos either at websites like Pergo
or HD or just on Youtube. It's not much harder than installing
the peel-n-stick tiles. The flooring comes in sectons maybe a foot
wide. It gets cut and then glue is applied on the edges. One section
gets glued to the next, but the whole thing is not attached to the
floor, it just floats. The one thing you would need would be a
suitable
mitre saw to make the cuts, which you can rent if you don't have one.

Have you ruled out refinishing what is already there?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 13, 12:17*am, leza wang wrote:
Hi
I want to change/upgrade the flooring of the bedroom. I want to do something quick and easy to install. So I thought about peel and stick tiles but I am not sure if they can stick nicely on the floor of the bedroom which is now laminate floor (not sure though, please see pictures below)

http://tinypic.com/r/300bi36/5

http://tinypic.com/r/jio10i/5

My question, would I have problem using peel and stick tiles on this floor or do I need to use a glue?

Thanks a lot.

Make sure whatever you decide upon does not interfere with doors
opening, cutting off the bottom of a door requires some tender care.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"leza wang" wrote in message

Thanks for the reply guys. I would love to install laminates but I do not
know how to do it and I need to finish it asap, that is why I decided to go
with peel and stick tiles. Is it easy to install Laminates? is it easy like
peel and stick? Thanks

Yes, it is easy. One piece just snaps into the end and side of adjacent
pieces (they have built in tongues and grooves). Some may need gluing to
adjacent pieces but some do not. When you reach the end wall, you DO have
to cut (with any sort of saw) that piece to the proper length. The same
with peel and stick tiles except you can use scissors or a knife.

To make either job look good you need a base board or some sort of molding
around the perimeter of the room to hide the cut edges.

I don't know the cost of the tile but you can get laminate for well under
$1.00/sq.ft. You can also get it for much more.

dadiOH

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 13, 11:15*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
"leza wang" wrote in message

Thanks for the reply guys. I would love to install laminates but I do not
know how to do it and I need to finish it asap, that is why I decided to go
with peel and stick tiles. Is it easy to install Laminates? is it easy like
peel and stick? Thanks

Yes, it is easy. *One piece just snaps into the end and side of adjacent
pieces (they have built in tongues and grooves). *Some may need gluing to
adjacent pieces but some do not. *When you reach the end wall, you DO have
to cut (with any sort of saw) that piece to the proper length.

I had said mitre saw, but you're right. To do one bedroom you could
use various types of saws. One of the small circular saw, either
corded
or cordless would work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

thanks for your reply. I am thinking now of installing Laminate floor instead. Can I install it on top of the floor I have now? which i think it is also laminate but an old one? or do I need under pad?
Thanks as always

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Home Depot has a relatively new product that is sort of "peel-and-stick",
but it is vinyl flooring strips that look like wood. But, they don't
"peel-and-stick" to the floor below -- instead the strips stick to each
other and it creates a new "floating floor" that goes over the old floor.
Since it is a floating floor, you can easily take it up later since it is
not stuck to the floor below.

The product may be called "Allure" vinyl flooring strips, or something like
that. I'll try to find a better description and maybe even a YouTube video
about it.

I think it may be perfect for what you want to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've been monitoring this subject, thinking it might help me w/my bathroom floor. It's white vinyl, damaged where various idiots dropped stuff on it, and generally looking weary.

The simplest solution is what I need. These vinyl flooring strips sounded ideal until the "floating" aspect came up. Does this mean they might "ripple" as one walks on the floor?

Inquiring minds...

TIA

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I want to change/upgrade the flooring of the bedroom. I want to do
something quick and easy to install. So I thought about peel and
stick tiles but I am not sure if they can stick nicely on the
floor of the bedroom which is now laminate floor . . . ,

Home Depot has a relatively new product that is sort of
"peel-and-stick", but it is vinyl flooring strips that look like
wood. But, they don't "peel-and-stick" to the floor below -- instead
the strips stick to each other and it creates a new "floating floor"
that goes over the old floor. Since it is a floating floor, you can
easily take it up later since it is not stuck to the floor below.

The product may be called "Allure" vinyl flooring strips, or
something like that. I'll try to find a better description and maybe
even a YouTube video about it.

I think it may be perfect for what you want to do.

Okay, here's the info on Allure TrafficMaster Vinyl Flooring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4ztVIOwKuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTH9102E7qk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS9zkbySzNw

The flooring strips stick to each other, but not to the floor below. So,
you don't have to worry about whether what you put down will stick to the
floor below. It is a complete floating floor. I have some samples that I
got from a Home Depot demonstration that I attended as part of a recent real
estate investor group meeting in my area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:
I want to change/upgrade the flooring of the bedroom. I want to
do something quick and easy to install. . . . ,

Home Depot has a relatively new product that is sort of
"peel-and-stick", but it is vinyl flooring strips that look like wood.
But, they don't
"peel-and-stick" to the floor below -- instead the strips stick to
each other and it creates a new "floating floor" that goes over the old
floor. . . ,

I've been monitoring this subject, thinking it might help me w/my
bathroom floor. It's white vinyl, damaged where various idiots
dropped stuff on it, and generally looking weary.

The simplest solution is what I need. These vinyl flooring strips
sounded ideal until the "floating" aspect came up. Does this mean
they might "ripple" as one walks on the floor?

No, it won't "ripple" as one walks on the floor. Check out my other post
about this which includes these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4ztVIOwKuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTH9102E7qk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS9zkbySzNw .

As I wrote in my other posts, I have samples of the stuff that I took home
from a demonstration that I attended.

Take a look at it at Home Depot and see what you think.

Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:
[...]

P.S. It also comes in styles that look like regular floor tiles rather than
just the wood laminate look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

That sounds really good idea. Do I need to put anything underneath it, like pad or anything (similar to Laminate floor)?
Thanks a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:

[...]

No, you don't need to put anything underneath it. It doesn't require any
pad etc. and I think it is not supposed to go over any type of padding. The
backing that is already on it serves as the padding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TomR wrote:
leza wang wrote:
[...]

P.P.S. There is also a product that is similar in name, but is put together
in a different way. That one is Allure TrafficMaster INTERLOCKING
flooring -- where the pieces snap together and interlock, rather than
sticking together.

Here is a descriptive video of the INTERLOCKING Allure TrafficMaster which
shows the pieces snapping together:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNpWhWCwhDk . This is just so you can see
the difference in how the two different types are installed.

I wouldn't recommend using the "Interlock" flooring without giving it more
study, thought, and research.

I think the Allure TrafficMaster Vinyl Flooring where the strips STICK
together rather than SNAP together would be a better choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 13, 5:04*pm, "TomR" wrote:
TomR wrote:
leza wang wrote:
[...]

together rather than SNAP together would be a better choice.- Hide quoted text -

The video's really showed how simple that flooring is to install,
really not any harder than peel and stick. Quite amazing as they seem
to indicate itis fairly waterproof. I wonder about the 25 year
guarantee, but is sure seems great. Unfortunately I don't have any
flooring needs for an excuse to try it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:
Hi
I want to change/upgrade the flooring of the bedroom. I want to do
something quick and easy to install. So I thought about peel and
stick tiles but I am not sure if they can stick nicely on the floor
of the bedroom which is now laminate floor (not sure though, please
see pictures below)

http://tinypic.com/r/300bi36/5

http://tinypic.com/r/jio10i/5

My question, would I have problem using peel and stick tiles on this
floor or do I need to use a glue?

I'm sorry I'm not answering your question, but I do wonder why you think
peel-and-stick (P&S) tiles (usually found on the outside porches in trailer
parks) would be better than the existing laminate?

Is it because the existing floor covering - the laminate - is damaged?

I'll admit to using P&S when my water heater sprung a leak and flooded the
carpeting in a nearby breakfast room. I knew, however, that the installation
was to be temporary and the P&S was the cheapest remedy. Within a month, I
replaced the P&S with ceramic tile, at $0.49/sq ft.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks as always- Hide quoted text -

A laminate like Pergo can generally go over the existing floor,
provided it's sound. The other obvious considerations are any
implications that the increased height has for doors, where it
meets other adjacent areas, etc. Their will be specific instructions
on the manufactuer's websites.

Also, there are basicaly two kinds of "laminate". One is an
engineered wood product that uses real wood veneer that is
bonded to a different and cheaper wood substrate. The less
expensive alternatives like Pergo are essentially made to look
like a real wood product, but are entirely synthetic.

From you pic, it looks like what you have now may be the
first kind. As I said before, many of those can be refinished,
because they are a real wood veneer that can be sanded down.
If that is what you have and the floor is not in real bad shape,
that could be an option. And you'd have wood floors, not a
cheaper, less desirable floor, be that stick-on tiles or the
cheaper Pergo like laminates.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:04:12 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
TomR wrote:

leza wang wrote:

[...]

Thanks a lot for your help TomR, I do appreciate your help as always. I bought Allure TafficMaster Flooring that the strips stick together. I will install them soon. So i went with "Allure TrafficMaster Vinyl Flooring where the strips STICK" as you said. Thanks a lot once again, really appreciate it so much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 8:20*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
leza wang wrote:
Hi
I want to change/upgrade the flooring of the bedroom. I want to do
something quick and easy to install. So I thought about peel and
stick tiles but I am not sure if they can stick nicely on the floor
of the bedroom which is now laminate floor (not sure though, please
see pictures below)

http://tinypic.com/r/300bi36/5

http://tinypic.com/r/jio10i/5

My question, would I have problem using peel and stick tiles on this
floor or do I need to use a glue?

I'm sorry I'm not answering your question, but I do wonder why you think
peel-and-stick (P&S) tiles (usually found on the outside porches in trailer
parks) would be better than the existing laminate?

Is it because the existing floor covering - the laminate - is damaged?

It looked from one of the pics like the existing laminate is
one of the engineered wood products, ie real wood veneer.
I had suggested that refinishing that might be an option,
unless it's too badly damaged. Many of them are thick
enough that it can be done. But apparently no interest
in that possibility..... She appears to be going with one
of the plastic "wood look" laminates.

I'll admit to using P&S when my water heater sprung a leak and flooded the
carpeting in a nearby breakfast room. I knew, however, that the installation
was to be temporary and the P&S was the cheapest remedy. Within a month, I
replaced the P&S with ceramic tile, at $0.49/sq ft.

I'm with you on that one. I put P&S in my laundry room/pantry. Even
there, when the house was built, it
would have been easy to extend the large ceramic tile
area that runs from foyer, down the hall, through the kitchen.