Junior Member

Default Security System?

What type of security system you installed in your home.Because i have an ADT security system and i want to change that.What you say about the CCTV security system is it best than the ADT or any other security system that you have?
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
Robin27

I would view ADT not as a security system, but as a security
service monitoring company. They do install eqpt, but AFAIK,
nothing they have is unique. Their eqpt uses similar components
to the other systems that are out there, eg control panel, motion
sensors,
door/window sensors. These major companies usually have
deals where the system with some limited number of components
is free, provided you sign a monitoring contract for X years at an
inflated rate.

What kind of system you need depends entirely on your requirements,
location, what your needs are. A CCTV system and a monitored alarm
are two different and complimentary systems. Among the issues you
need to decide are whether the alarm is monitored or you're just going
to rely on sirens. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
And if you go with monitored, then is it via dial-up, internet, or
cell, or
a combination. For basic monitoring, if you do with one on the many
companies that are not the "ADT"s of the word, you can get it for
$10 a month. There are also companies out there that sell DIY kits
that include a new panel, keypad, some sensors, etc for about
$175. One advantage to that is that you will have ALL the codes to
be able to add/delete sensors, switch monitoring services, etc on
your own. With most systems installed by alarm companies, they
keep the installer codes and won't give them to you come hell or
high water. That can render the system you have worthless if you
want to switch companies. And that keeps most people locked into
that service company.

I doubt ADT will give you the codes to your system so that you
can use another monitoring service. However, if you look around
at monitoring companies, you will find ones that have a widget
that will redirect panels that use dialup. It's a widget that
intercepts
the dialing and in turn dials it's own number to the alternate
security
company.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 7, 2013 5:56:56 AM UTC-4, Robin27 wrote:
What type of security system you installed in your home.Because i have

an ADT security system and i want to change that.What you say about the

CCTV security system is it best than the ADT or any other security

system that you have?

--

Robin27

I recently purchased a PiSector system from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/PiSector-Wirel...words=pisector

Fairly easy to install the gap detectors on doors and windows. I have it set up to call my cell phone if the alarm is tripped while I'm away. I have the local police number in my cell phone, so if I get a call from the security system, I call the police and ask them to investigate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 4:10*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
On Friday, June 7, 2013 5:56:56 AM UTC-4, Robin27 wrote:
What type of security system you installed in your home.Because i have

an ADT security system and i want to change that.What you say about the

CCTV security system is it best than the ADT or any other security

system that you have?

--

Robin27

I recently purchased a PiSector system from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/PiSector-Wirel...-S02-MX16/dp/B...

Fairly easy to install the gap detectors on doors and windows. I have it set up to call my cell phone if the alarm is tripped while I'm away. I have the local police number in my cell phone, so if I get a call from the security system, I call the police and ask them to investigate.- Hide quoted text -

Another question he should ask is what discounts his insurance company
may have
for alarm systems and what the requirements are to get those
discounts. Allstate gives
a discount, but only for monitored systems. A friend has another
carrier and they give
a discount and apparently don't care if it's monitored.