Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Doc Doc is offline

Default What works better than CLR on calcium/lime deposits?

I've never found CLR to work that great on heavier deposits of mineral
buildup. What's better?
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Muriatic acid / hydrochloric acid has worked for me.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Doc" wrote in message ...
I've never found CLR to work that great on heavier deposits of mineral
buildup. What's better?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 May 2013 06:46:35 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Muriatic acid / hydrochloric acid has worked for me.

What are you trying to clean?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Doc wrote in news:2912452e-515f-4955-b1a7-
:

I've never found CLR to work that great on heavier deposits of mineral
buildup. What's better?

Vinegar...but Danny's Q as to what are you trying to clean should be
answered first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 11, 2013 5:46:35 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Muriatic acid / hydrochloric acid has worked for me.

Ya...let's go with the shotgun instead of the flyswatter!

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On May 10, 10:19*pm, Doc wrote:
I've never found CLR to work that great on heavier deposits of mineral
buildup. What's better?

After reading about, and then trying, readily available pool grade
muriatic acid; I'm convinced the only way to go!

About $5 per gal at HD, beats CLR which was like nothing, a total
waste of time and money

Muriatic acid was intantly, then didn't have to do again for about a
month. Keeps everything looking like new.
Senior Member

Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid at about a 25% concentration.

Any janitorial supply store will sell GELLED hydrochloric acid at a 12 to 17 percent concentration for cleaning toilets. Just ask for a hydrochloric acid based toilet bowl cleaner.

The toilet bowl cleaner will come in a quart size bottle and the fact that it's gelled will make it stick better to smooth and vertical surfaces. It'll take longer to work because it's half the strength, but it's also not quite as hazardous to work with.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On May 10, 10:19*pm, Doc wrote:
I've never found CLR to work that great on heavier deposits of mineral
buildup. What's better?

Give Lemi-Shine a try.
Available at most grocery stores on the dishwasher detergent isle.

It's basically citric acid ~$4 per pkg (10 oz)

I use it to remove & control hard water deposits in dishwashers.
And as an occasional rinise (~1 month) aid.

Be forewarned.... it will remove (over time) artwork on some glassware
or coffee cups.
More aggressive than CLR less than pool acid.

http://www.lemishine.com/

cheers
Bob
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Doc Doc is offline

On May 11, 7:06*am, Danny D wrote:

What are you trying to clean?

At the moment the mineral buildup on the bottom of a dishwasher but as
a rule I don't find CLR to work that well.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On May 11, 5:25*pm, Doc wrote:
On May 11, 7:06*am, Danny D wrote:

What are you trying to clean?

At the moment the mineral buildup on the bottom of a dishwasher but as
a rule I don't find CLR to work that well.

Run the dishwasher empty a few times with LemiShine.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On May 11, 5:25*pm, Doc wrote:
On May 11, 7:06*am, Danny D wrote:

What are you trying to clean?

At the moment the mineral buildup on the bottom of a dishwasher but as
a rule I don't find CLR to work that well.

Try "LemiShine" for Washing Machines, Dishwashers, Disposals. I don't
know what is in it as I don't see an ingredient list. My dishwasher
was really cruddy and nothing I tried including the real TSP wouldn't
touch it. One dose of lemishine and it was showroom clean. Wal Mart
had it in their cleaners section. Small boxbox

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 12:19:58 AM UTC-5, Doc Savage wrote:
I've never found CLR to work that great on heavier deposits of mineral
buildup. What's better?

Muratic Acid for swimming pools....INSTANT FIX
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 3:19:58 PM UTC+10, Doc Savage wrote:
I've never found CLR to work that great on heavier deposits of mineral
buildup. What's better?

Was wondering if anyone has ideas for getting rid of either calcium or lime light staining on timber decking outside from bore water?
Posted to alt.home.repair

i need to clean my toilet to flush better,it also has a water saver ring ,good for the pocket but not the flushing anymore.i was considering trying clr but am wondering about the muriatic and hydrochloric acids.i'll probably have to worry about replacing fill valve and seals afterward but am more concerned about the fumes..what do you think?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Deck brightener aka oxallic acid works wonders on wood stains
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

A commercial ice maker

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-747912-.htm

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 20:15:02 +0000, Gordon Vickery posted for all of us to
digest...

A commercial ice maker

Probably what a parts store or the manufacturers recommend. Don't they have a
cycle they have to be put through and then rinsed several times? Ice is a food.

--
Tekkie