Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Don't buy locks from a storage locker company

Or, I learned something today about padlocks.

Backstory: I've had a storage locker for a while now, due to having
more stuff than I have space. An ex-coworker is in the process of
moving, and needs some space. I on the other hand have been
reorganizing and culling my stuff and was seriously considering moving
to a smaller storage locker now that my stuff is more compacted, so I
offered him part of my storage space rather than having each of us rent
a locker for more total cost.

Here's where the lock discussion comes in. I'd just bought a padlock
from the storage place when I rented the locker as the price was
reasonable, which came with two keys. I've carried one on me ever
since, I have lost the other one. I tried to get a key copied to give
to my friend, which is when I was told that the lock that I had was
probably made by Abus of Germany, but that the locksmith (best one I
know of in the area) didn't have blanks for it because he said that
storage companies often order padlocks from Abus with a custom keyway
for whatever reason. I asked what would be the best lock for my
application and he said that the lock I had was probably the best design
for my application but that I should buy an Abus branded one so he could
make me extra keys for it. I asked him if he could sell me one, he said
no, he didn't have any but Home Depot or Lowe's probably did. Well
neither one had any...

So I got online, found the best deal I could on a stainless-steel Abus
padlock (about $20 and free shipping for a model 24IB/70) and went back
to the locksmith to have some keys made. He made me two keys for under
$10, and told me that the lock that I'd picked was an excellent one
(exact comment, "you did really well.")

So I probably paid about $20 for the original lock I'd bought but I
can't get keys for it so now it's kind of useless as I only have one
key... let this be a lesson to you, if you're going to rent a storage
locker, BYOP (Bring Your Own Padlock)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's another reason- how do you know that the guy working at the front desk didn't already make a copy for himself?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:30:30 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

let this be a lesson to you, if you're going to rent a storage
locker, BYOP (Bring Your Own Padlock)

I had a storage unit one time. Put my biggest Master lock on it. Went
to the storage one day, found bolt-cutter jaw marks on the lock.
shackle.

Turns out the bolt-cutters must have been small (18-24" and not the
big one, like 48"?

Most all locks in other units had been cut off, items stolen.

Big Master Lock = 1
Bolt Cutter = 0
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

let this be a lesson to you, if you're going to rent a storage
locker, BYOP (Bring Your Own Padlock)

I had a storage unit one time. Put my biggest Master lock on it. Went
to the storage one day, found bolt-cutter jaw marks on the lock.
shackle.

Turns out the bolt-cutters must have been small (18-24" and not the
big one, like 48"?

Most all locks in other units had been cut off, items stolen.

Big Master Lock = 1
Bolt Cutter = 0

You can thank the TV show "Storage Wars" for that.
Showing all the "fortunes" found in the lockers.
Yes,I know that the show is 'scripted' like most, if not all, other
'reality' shows, but Storage Wars goes a little further.
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...8#.UYAMsUpRxb8

or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/d86cdzp
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

let this be a lesson to you, if you're going to rent a storage
locker, BYOP (Bring Your Own Padlock)

I had a storage unit one time. Put my biggest Master lock on it. Went
to the storage one day, found bolt-cutter jaw marks on the lock.
shackle.

Turns out the bolt-cutters must have been small (18-24" and not the
big one, like 48"?

Most all locks in other units had been cut off, items stolen.

Big Master Lock = 1
Bolt Cutter = 0

You can thank the TV show "Storage Wars" for that.

Not for me. This incident took place in '96.

...".BYOP"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

let this be a lesson to you, if you're going to rent a storage
locker, BYOP (Bring Your Own Padlock)

I had a storage unit one time. Put my biggest Master lock on it. Went
to the storage one day, found bolt-cutter jaw marks on the lock.
shackle.

Turns out the bolt-cutters must have been small (18-24" and not the
big one, like 48"?

Most all locks in other units had been cut off, items stolen.

Big Master Lock = 1
Bolt Cutter = 0

My locksmith friends don't use bolt cutters, they use a circular saw
with an abrasive metal cutting blade which zips right through the
biggest and baddest padlock. I know they were using 120vac saws but I
don't know if they've gone to battery powered saws. I imagine the 24vdc
cordless circular saws will power through a lock. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This was back in 1986 (corrected). We always had big bolt cutters in
the armory / lock shop, at work. They still have them today.

What happened to when real crooks used a crow-bar?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 4:30*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

So I probably paid about $20 for the original lock I'd bought but I
can't get keys for it so now it's kind of useless as I only have one
key... *let this be a lesson to you, if you're going to rent a storage
locker, BYOP (Bring Your Own Padlock)

What if I just don't lose the keys to the padlocks I already own?

It's always the other guy at fault for your shortcomings, ain't it?
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The got arrested for the possession of burglary tools as a result of
crowbar control laws. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Crowbar cooties jump off crowbars and cause anyone touching one to go
berserk and turn into a burglar. Special gloves must be used by anyone
using a crowbar unless the individual has received the Anti-Crowbar
Cootie vaccine, is tested on a regular basis and receives booster shots
when necessary. Crowbar Cootie infections are very hard to eliminate
once the individual is infected and displays behavior caused by the
infection. Once the infected individual is an inmate in a correctional
institution where he can be monitored and get the proper medical care
whilst keeping him away from the public, the inmate may be cured unless
he is too far gone which means he should remain incarcerated especially
if he refuses to take his medication or respond to treatment. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought the right to keep and bear crowbars
shall not be infringed? Or was that Muslim
worship items?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message news:klron7

This was back in 1986 (corrected). We always had big bolt cutters in
the armory / lock shop, at work. They still have them today.

What happened to when real crooks used a crow-bar?

The got arrested for the possession of burglary tools as a result of
crowbar control laws. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/01/2013 02:02 PM, gpsman wrote:
On Apr 29, 4:30 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

So I probably paid about $20 for the original lock I'd bought but I
can't get keys for it so now it's kind of useless as I only have one
key... let this be a lesson to you, if you're going to rent a storage
locker, BYOP (Bring Your Own Padlock)

What if I just don't lose the keys to the padlocks I already own?

It's always the other guy at fault for your shortcomings, ain't it?
-----

- gpsman

It's always you who's to blame for being an annoying ****wit with
nothing to contribute. I was trying to help others, you're just being a
douche. Again. Still.

**** off.

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 6:33*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 05/01/2013 02:02 PM, gpsman wrote:

On Apr 29, 4:30 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
let this be a lesson to you, if you're going to rent a storage
locker, BYOP (Bring Your Own Padlock)

What if I just don't lose the keys to the padlocks I already own?

It's always the other guy at fault for your shortcomings, ain't it?

It's always you who's to blame for being an annoying ****wit with
nothing to contribute. *I was trying to help others

Which nitwits do you think need that kind of "help"... and why
shouldn't they simply not lose their keys instead?

Or did you intend to "help" them blame someone else if/when they were
so stupid as to show up at a storage facility, presumably with their
**** in tow, without a lock?

you're just being a
douche. *Again. *Still.

I never had to buy a lock at a storage facility...

**** off.

ouch!
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Don't buy locks from a storage locker company remarks...

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

[...]

Hmm, that would explain a lot of things as to why
I am like I am...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 22:18:51 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 13:58:39 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

On 04/29/2013 06:14 PM, wrote:
Here's another reason- how do you know that the guy working at the front desk didn't already make a copy for himself?

1) Her name is Michelle
2) I actually trust that that didn't happen because the lock and keys
were in one of those execrable blister packs that require a pocketknife
and some dexterity to open without personal injury.

But you make a good point...

nate

Of course, they may have a master key that fits all the locks of that
brand and model.

Absolutely. I've been friends for 15 years with someone who runs a
minstorage, and she has a key to nearly every locker they have.
They sell the locks, roughly at cost, to new customers, and almost no
one uses his own lock, even though he could. She emphasizes that it's
uncuttable, which it is, and they like that.

Sometimes when people don't pay the rent, she looks in to see if they
have moved out. Sometimes a door latch breaks and they have to get
in to replace it. A lot of customers seem to assume she has a key,
or at least they expect her to do things that require a key and they
don't ask how she manages to do them. And when they do move out,
even though the customer owns the lock, a few of them leave it behind
locking the locker, so they need a key to get it off.

She also has a angle grinder for removing locks she has no key for.
Bolt cutters won't cut the locks she sells. The shackle is hardened.
These are the ones that look like pancakes, and the shackle is maybe
1/2" in diameter, and part of the circumference. And the key goes in
the middle of one side.

Look in the 100 page lock catalogs and they are clear about master
keys. She buys locks that use the same master key year after year,
hundreds of locks, even if she buys them only 10, 20, 30 at a time. .
Her master key won't fit every other ministorage, though I guess it
must fit a few somewhere. Most of the stuff the people have she
wouldn't want, even if it were free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 04/29/2013 06:14 PM, wrote:
Here's another reason- how do you know that the guy working at the front desk didn't already make a copy for himself?

1) Her name is Michelle
2) I actually trust that that didn't happen because the lock and keys
were in one of those execrable blister packs that require a pocketknife
and some dexterity to open without personal injury.

BTW, the locks I talk about below come in the blister packs. Her
company requires that a new customer buy a lock, for $10, but doesn't
require that they use it. There's room for two locks on the latch
anyhow. Some places put their own lock when a person is late with the
rent, but she doesn't do that. When people are 2 months late and
falling further behind, they call them up and tell they to take their
stuff, and they don't have to pay what is owed. She doesn't get rid
of their stuff unlesss the customer never shows up. That's one big
reason she's never had a serious argument with a customer in 20 years.

This is a family business. I suspect chains which sell contents for
unpaid rent have a lot of confrontations and probably some physical
injuries.