Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pulling up sagging drywall with fender washers.

This is a follow up to my request for help in the following thread,

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...f3a48f4 a6019

The sagging drywall in smallest second floor room with little
furniture was pulled up with about 100 fender washers in the following
way.

Roughly uniformly spaced 1 1/2 inch fender washers, held in place with
2 and 1 5/8 drywall screws were screwed in to the point of just
touching the drywall. With drywall supported each screw was tightened,
working around to all the screws. This process was repeated. As the 2
inch screws drove into too much wood they had to be replaced with
shorter screws. Total time to clear out room, lay drop clothes, and
screwup was about three hours. Would have goon faster the next room. I
stopped work at this point.

If the 2x6's could hold another layer of drywall, in addition to the
blown in insulation this might have been a good time for the addition
of 1x lath and another layer of drywall. Or if it was my house I might
have nailed the **** out of the ceiling and spackled it and lived with
the consequences.

The costumer is having a contractor try and pullup the ceilings, I
could not take the job right away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

andyeverett wrote:
[...]

If what you did is holding, I guess you would then have to figure out how to
put joint compound over the 100 fender washers.

But, if what you did seemed to work, it appears that it means the existing
drywall could be moved up flush against the ceiling joists without the
problem of insulation or debris getting caught in between the drywall and
the ceiling joists. If that's the case, then probably the other idea of
jacking up the drywall with boards first and then just using drywall screws
to secure it would be easier, faster, and less expensive. Maybe the other
contractor will try that.