Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to monitor for leaks under your house?

Hi All,

Had a pipe spring a leak in our crawl space. All
fixed now. I hate doing under the house. Is there
an any way to monitor the crawlspace? Power over Ethernet
cameras?

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 19:49:13 -0700, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

Had a pipe spring a leak in our crawl space. All
fixed now. I hate doing under the house. Is there
an any way to monitor the crawlspace? Power over Ethernet
cameras?

Many thanks,
-T

A cat who is very afraid of water!!!
When the cat comes shooting out from under the house with wet whiskers,
you got a leak!

OR

A cat or dog who can talk!!!!

OR

A good place to keep a naggy wife, who will nag even more when she gets
soaked!

AND/OR FINALLY

Pay the neighbor's kid $20 per day (plus meals) to live under the house
and watch for leakers!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 19:49:13 -0700, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

Had a pipe spring a leak in our crawl space. All
fixed now. I hate doing under the house. Is there
an any way to monitor the crawlspace? Power over Ethernet
cameras?

Google 'water leak detector' - $5- ???? [I'll bet you can spend a
grand if you want]

I made one once to keep an eye on the first sharkbite fitting I used.
A battery, a buzzer, and some bell cord. Water completes the
circuit and the buzzer buzzes.

Here's 6 for $40- just one style-- there are loads of them-- but the
principle is the same.
http://www.amazon.com/Flood-Buzz-Wat.../dp/B005OQY5KG

all that said-- What kind of pipe 'sprung a leak'.
Galvanized? Replace it all right now because it *will* continue to
break.
PVC? Bad joint? -redo them all because the guy who put them
together likely did them all the same.

Copper joint--same as above.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 19:49:13 -0700, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

Had a pipe spring a leak in our crawl space. All
fixed now. I hate doing under the house. Is there
an any way to monitor the crawlspace? Power over Ethernet
cameras?

Many thanks,
-T

A cat who is very afraid of water!!!
When the cat comes shooting out from under the house with wet whiskers,
you got a leak!

OR

A cat or dog who can talk!!!!

OR

A good place to keep a naggy wife, who will nag even more when she gets
soaked!

AND/OR FINALLY

Pay the neighbor's kid $20 per day (plus meals) to live under the house
and watch for leakers!

Maybe someone is missing the toilet bowl in the morning ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/25/2013 04:19 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

Copper pipe.

Thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 1:47*pm, Todd wrote:
[...]

recently I saw a copper pipe develop a pin hole, the wall thickness
was very thin.....

by the time I arrived it was fixed my realtive had called a
plumber..........

If you want to monitor for leaks under a crawl space cover the entire
ground with heavy plastic sheets overlaped and taped together, create
a low spot or multiple spots, and install water alarms.....

When a leak occurs it will collect at the low spots, and sound the
alarm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 4:27*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Apr 25, 1:47*pm, Todd wrote:

[...]

alarm- Hide quoted text -

If you connect a piece of ordinary lamp cord to the 2 points in a
smoke detector that are bridged when you pust the test button and then
put the other end of the cord where water will drain to, bare about
1/2 inch of each of the conductors at the far end(under the house in a
low spot), then place those 2 bare ends about 1/2 inch apart. If the
wires get into moisture or water bridges between the two bare wires,
on most smoke detectors the alarm will sound. I use that setup to
sound an alarm if the water in my sump gets too high. It has saved my
goose several times. It will work when house power is off as long as
the alarm battery is good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:49:13 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Had a pipe spring a leak in our crawl space. All

fixed now. I hate doing under the house. Is there

an any way to monitor the crawlspace? Power over Ethernet

cameras?

Many thanks,

-T

Does your water meter have a flow gauge? The meters in our town have as part of the gauge a dial that spins very quickly even if there is little flow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/25/2013 02:27 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Apr 25, 1:47 pm, Todd wrote:
[...]

Had the same pin hole. Had four inches of water by the time it
was discovered.

Thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 14:39:27 -0700, Todd wrote:

Does your water meter have a flow gauge? The meters in our town have as part of the gauge a dial that spins very quickly even if there is little flow.

I think so. I will have to check. Any particular tool
to get the iron lid off the top?

Most anything you can stick in the slot hole to pry or lift. I use a
pair of slip-joint pliers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/26/2013 06:47 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 14:39:27 -0700, Todd wrote:

Does your water meter have a flow gauge? The meters in our town have as part of the gauge a dial that spins very quickly even if there is little flow.

I think so. I will have to check. Any particular tool
to get the iron lid off the top?

Most anything you can stick in the slot hole to pry or lift. I use a
pair of slip-joint pliers.

I have just the pair. Thank you
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/24/2013 07:49 PM, Todd wrote:

I hate doing under the house.

Damn I sure do, too! I end up wearing coveralls, a balaclava, and a
respirator when go in there, along with a can of spider juice to knock
out the black widows when I find them.

After I spend a few minutes under there I'm usually pretty happy,
though, as it's cool, dark, and peacefully quiet. Well, until I have to
start working, anyway.

Jon