Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating ductwork

Can I use fiberglass bat to insulate the main and branch ductwork in my crawlspace?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 8:25*am, wrote:
Can I use fiberglass bat to insulate the main and branch ductwork in my crawlspace?

if its ever moist fiberglass batt will attract moisture and no longer
insulate, moisture ruins it.

spray foam is a better option or glued on foam board
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 24, 8:27*am, bob haller wrote:
On Apr 24, 8:25*am, wrote:

Can I use fiberglass bat to insulate the main and branch ductwork in my crawlspace?

if its ever moist fiberglass batt will attract moisture and no longer
insulate, moisture ruins it.

spray foam is a better option or glued on foam board

They have insulation specifically made and sized for
ducts. It has an aluminized looking outer cover. I've
seen it used in basements and attics. Not sure about
crawlspaces, but I would think it would be OK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:27:44 AM UTC-7, bob haller wrote:
On Apr 24, 8:25*am, wrote:

Can I use fiberglass bat to insulate the main and branch ductwork
in my crawlspace?

if its ever moist fiberglass batt will attract moisture and no longer
insulate, moisture ruins it.

spray foam is a better option or glued on foam board

Highly flammable spray foam or foam board sounds like a good, safe
idea under the house, uncovered.

Foil-backed rigid fiberglass board would be safer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:25:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Can I use fiberglass bat to insulate the main and branch ductwork in my crawlspace?

By the way, this is round duct.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can I use fiberglass bat to insulate the main and branch ductwork in my
crawlspace?

*I used duct wrap insulation when I did my metal ducts. It was perfect for
the job with an overlapping foil edge. It comes in different thicknesses.
It is fiberglass with a foil back. I sprayed a little aerosol glue on the
duct to hold one end while I wrapped it around. The seams were taped with
foil tape. I also caulked the duct joints to minimize losses. I bought the
duct wrap at a local plumbing supply. Some examples:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=... g=mrelect-20

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:14:33 PM UTC-5, John G wrote:
Can I use fiberglass bat to insulate the main and branch ductwork in my

crawlspace?

*I used duct wrap insulation when I did my metal ducts. It was perfect for

the job with an overlapping foil edge. It comes in different thicknesses.

It is fiberglass with a foil back. I sprayed a little aerosol glue on the

duct to hold one end while I wrapped it around. The seams were taped with

foil tape. I also caulked the duct joints to minimize losses. I bought the

duct wrap at a local plumbing supply. Some examples:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=... g=mrelect-20

Is there anything I can put over it to protect it from a cat clawing on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 05:27:44 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Apr 24, 8:25*am, wrote:
Can I use fiberglass bat to insulate the main and branch ductwork in my crawlspace?

if its ever moist fiberglass batt will attract moisture and no longer
insulate, moisture ruins it.

spray foam is a better option or glued on foam board

Or glued on duct-board

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can I use fiberglass bat to insulate the main and branch ductwork in my

crawlspace?

*I used duct wrap insulation when I did my metal ducts. It was perfect
for

the job with an overlapping foil edge. It comes in different
thicknesses.

It is fiberglass with a foil back. I sprayed a little aerosol glue on
the

duct to hold one end while I wrapped it around. The seams were taped
with

foil tape. I also caulked the duct joints to minimize losses. I bought
the

duct wrap at a local plumbing supply. Some examples:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=... g=mrelect-20

Is there anything I can put over it to protect it from a cat clawing on
it.

*Off hand nothing that I can think of except more sheet metal. The foil
backing on the duct wrap is a little more durable than that of wall
insulation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...e=UTF8&camp=17...

Is there anything I can put over it to protect it from a cat clawing on
it.

*Off hand nothing that I can think of except more sheet metal. *The foil
backing on the duct wrap is a little more durable than that of wall
insulation.- Hide quoted text -

I take it the crawl space also serves as a shelter for his cats?
Otherwise, it would seem the best solution would be to make
the crawl space animal proof. I don't think duct insulation would
be particularly attractive to cats to claw on. Especially outside
cats that have plenty of better things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:25:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Can I use fiberglass bat to insulate the main and branch ductwork in my crawlspace?

It is a shelter for the cats. There is actually acess to it in my garage. The cats do claw at it and sometimes rest on top of it.

Basement too cold. Insulating ductwork? CraigT[_3_] Home Repair 19 June 13th 11 12:50 AM
Flatting out ductwork ... sid Home Repair 16 January 31st 09 07:47 PM
metal ductwork vs fiberglass ductwork Zack Home Repair 5 February 6th 07 01:33 AM
DC Ductwork Jimmy Woodworking 2 May 21st 06 10:43 PM
Ductwork Aaron Affleck Home Ownership 2 July 25th 05 11:46 PM