Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer Drum Rust

My dryer is getting rust stains on my whites and I want to paint a small area
on the dryer drum. My problem is that I have been unable to find the heat
resistant enamel appliance paint to take care of this. Can anyone help with
this? Thanks.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...st-744850-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

You could ask the guys on usenet forum alt home repair.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Jasmine" wrote in
message oups.com...
My dryer is getting rust stains on my whites and I want to paint a small
area
on the dryer drum. My problem is that I have been unable to find the heat
resistant enamel appliance paint to take care of this. Can anyone help with
this? Thanks.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...st-744850-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jasmine wrote:
My dryer is getting rust stains on my whites and I want to paint a small
area
on the dryer drum. My problem is that I have been unable to find the heat
resistant enamel appliance paint to take care of this. Can anyone help
with
this? Thanks.

It is usually baked on enamel which wouldn't hold paint very well.
You're best bet would to use a two part epoxy paint.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
My dryer is getting rust stains on my whites and I want to paint a small area on the dryer drum. My problem is that I have been unable to find the heat resistant enamel appliance paint to take care of this. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.
Jasmine:

I'm presuming that this is a Whirlpool dryer cuz I know Whirlpool uses a felt seal at the back of the dryer drum.

The proper repair would be to replace the sealing felt at the back of the dryer drum.

You see, the dryer drum rolls on rollers and there's a felt "skirt" at the back of the drum that forms a seal around the drum to prevent that warm moist air from blowing out at the back of the drum. When that seal gets worn out, the warm moist air inside the dryer blows onto the polished steel that the felt seal has been rubbing against for the last two decades and causes it to rust.

Clothes that get between the dryer drum and that now rusting polished steel end up with rust marks on them.

So, the correct fix is to take the drum out of the machine, remove the old felt seal and install a new one. I've done this on my sister's Whirlpool dryer (sold under the brand name "Inglis" here in Canada), and it's not all that hard to do, but you will need several volunteers (pronounced "friends" or "family members") to help you put the new seal on straight.

Every appliance manufacturer has their own recommended adhesive to put the new seal on, and it's probably best to use the factory recommended product. If it's no longer available, phone the Whirlpool factory authorized service depot in your area and ask what they use. This is a problem that happens with every Whirlpool/Inglis dryer eventually.

Last edited by nestork : April 16th 13 at 10:56 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
Jasmine wrote:
My dryer is getting rust stains on my whites and I want to paint a
small area
on the dryer drum. My problem is that I have been unable to find the
heat
resistant enamel appliance paint to take care of this. Can anyone
help with
this? Thanks.

It is usually baked on enamel which wouldn't hold paint very well.
You're best bet would to use a two part epoxy paint.

Ooops, I made one of the errors that I always pick out in other's posts.
I meant 'Your', not 'You're'
Sorry, Mrs. Reagan (my elementary school teacher).

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jasmine" wrote in message
oups.com...

My dryer is getting rust stains on my whites and I want to paint a small
area
on the dryer drum. My problem is that I have been unable to find the heat
resistant enamel appliance paint to take care of this. Can anyone help with
this? Thanks.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...st-744850-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Check out repairclinic. com They are very helpful. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 18:44:01 +0000, Jasmine
wrote:

My dryer is getting rust stains on my whites and I want to paint a small area
on the dryer drum. My problem is that I have been unable to find the heat
resistant enamel appliance paint to take care of this. Can anyone help with
this? Thanks.

Look for something like heat resistant ceramic paint... used in engine
header paint?
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshak View Post
Ooops, I made one of the errors that I always pick out in other's posts.
I meant 'Your', not 'You're'
You're not from this planet, are you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:44:01 AM UTC-7, Jasmine wrote:

My dryer is getting rust stains on my whites and I want to paint a small
area on the dryer drum. My problem is that I have been unable to find
the heat resistant enamel appliance paint to take care of this.

You don't need heat resistant paint, but it's available everywhere as
barbque paint, and car parts stores sell hi-temp paint for exhaust
systems. However they may not harden completely unless subjected
to heat, like over 150 degrees F. Even regular enamels, urethanes,
and 1-part epoxy paints won't harden for a long time unless you do
that, so you may want to follow Willshak's recommendation to use
2-part epoxy paint.

To make the paint stick well and prevent the rust from coming back,
you need to either remove 100% of the rust, use paint made for
rusty surfaces (Krylon sells it), or apply rust converter (POR-40
is best because it cures so hard). Naval Jelly is good for not only
removing rust (may have to apply it several times and sand or
scrape) but also makes paint stick better to bare steel, meaning
it should help prevent future rust. Enamel paints are a lot less
permeable to moisture than are lacquers (car touch-up paint).

Curing 1-part paint requires higher temps than hair dryers put
out, but if you use a heat gun, be sure it has at least 3-4
temperature settings or it will melt or burn the paint. Ace
Hardware has $36 heat gun with 10 temperature settings that
works well for this:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ID=3 31924202

Nestork's diagnosis of rust being caused by a worn rear felt drum
seal letting in exhaust moisture was dead-on accurate in the case of
my parent's Whirlpool dryer. The replacement felt seal kit included
some special high temperature rubber glue that was a lot darker than
normal (but rated for the same temperature as regular paint -- that's
why I said you don't need special hi-temp paint). Another type of
rubber glue that will work is automotive disk brake anti-squeak. It
used to be sold under the Bendix brand but is now from CRC:

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Disc-Brake.../dp/B000CINV88

I've seen it in orange, green, and blue. It can take even higher temps
than the glue included with dryer drum rear seal kits (I used it to glue
some rubber in the engine compartment of my Toyota). The only
downside of it is that it stains badly, so be careful not to spill it.

If you're going to go to the trouble of removing the dryer drum to
paint it or replace its rear felt seal, you may as well install a new
drive belt, drive belt tensioner, and rear support rollers (2) because
they don't cost that much more. I don't know if you need to
replace the front felt seal/bearing, but it doesn't cost much, either.

Parts prices can vary a lot, and sometimes Sears is cheaper than
other places.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Spelling flame: YOUR AN ITIOT!
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"willshak" wrote in message

It is usually baked on enamel which wouldn't hold paint very well.
You're best bet would to use a two part epoxy paint.

Ooops, I made one of the errors that I always pick out in other's posts.
I meant 'Your', not 'You're'
Sorry, Mrs. Reagan (my elementary school teacher).

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

Naah,he's from Orson.
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs40/f/20...htwing1975.jpg

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"nestork" wrote in message

You're not from this planet, are you?

--
nestork

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 7:44*pm, Jasmine
wrote:
My dryer is getting rust stains on my whites and I want to paint a small area
on the dryer drum. *My problem is that I have been unable to find the heat
resistant enamel appliance paint to take care of this. *Can anyone help with
this? *Thanks.

Araldite or similar epoxy glue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My dryer is getting rust stains on my whites and I want to paint a small area
on the dryer drum. My problem is that I have been unable to find the heat
resistant enamel appliance paint to take care of this. Can anyone help with
this? Thanks.

Go to an autoparts store.

P&M?
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

My dryer is getting rust stains on my whites and I want to paint a small area
on the dryer drum. My problem is that I have been unable to find the heat
resistant enamel appliance paint to take care of this. Can anyone help with
this? Thanks.

Go to an autoparts store.

P&M?

Any engine paint could handle it.

Maybe less beer and less beans will eliminate the "rust" stains in the
underwear too.

gas dryer drum not turning... Chris Home Repair 7 February 6th 09 02:43 AM
Removing Gum on Dryer Drum The Ranger Home Repair 4 July 11th 07 09:25 PM
Dryer Drum squab18 Electronics Repair 8 October 2nd 06 03:21 PM
Dryer drum stopped rotating [email protected] Home Repair 4 May 8th 06 05:57 AM
Dryer rust repair? georgie Home Repair 1 April 1st 06 05:12 AM