Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sticks to any metal surface

Recently I have seen several TV commercials about a magnetic
flashlight that the seller claims will, "Stick to any metal
surface." Don't they know that aluminum, copper and brass are
metals and that magnets will not stick to them?
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Apr 2013 23:32:38 -0700, Daniel Prince
wrote:

Recently I have seen several TV commercials about a magnetic
flashlight that the seller claims will, "Stick to any metal
surface." Don't they know that aluminum, copper and brass are
metals and that magnets will not stick to them?

.... or some stainless steel
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
Recently I have seen several TV commercials about a magnetic
flashlight that the seller claims will, "Stick to any metal
surface." Don't they know that aluminum, copper and brass are
metals and that magnets will not stick to them?
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
seconds to several minutes. His favorite are the ones that
rattle. He'll play with any ball that makes noise.

Yeah, it seems that the writers of commercial copy don't know much about
what they are advertising and how it works. One I love is rust resistant
aluminum, not rust proof aluminum but resistant, as they don't seem to know
that aluminum does not rust. OK, I know it will oxidize, but rust is the
domain of iron/steel products.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Prince
Recently I have seen several TV commercials about a magnetic
flashlight that the seller claims will, "Stick to any metal
surface." Don't they know that aluminum, copper and brass are
metals and that magnets will not stick to them?
They know, but they're trying to pretend they don't so that they can make that claim.

It's called "selective ignorance". Kinda like selective hearing.

Last edited by nestork : April 9th 13 at 04:41 PM