Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rotten egg hot water - success ever? anybody?

Rotten egg odor in hot water is a common concern here.

The most common fix recommended is to change the sacrificial anode for a different material. The rationale for doing so is less than detailed, but some of the sources are official or semiofficial.

The second most common fix recommended is to sterilize the water heater and/or parts of the system with bleach.

The anode providers usually include a caveat that if any of the old rod falls off the problem will remain. The bleach fans say you'll probably have to repeat after a few months.

What I want to know is did anyone try either one and succeed? (and I mean the odor go away, not just I bought an expensive anode/bleachinjector/carbon filter and it's a little better)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 11:18:27 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

Rotten egg odor in hot water is a common concern here.

The most common fix recommended is to change the sacrificial anode for a different material. The rationale for doing so is less than detailed, but some of the sources are official or semiofficial.

The second most common fix recommended is to sterilize the water heater and/or parts of the system with bleach.

The anode providers usually include a caveat that if any of the old rod falls off the problem will remain. The bleach fans say you'll probably have to repeat after a few months.

What I want to know is did anyone try either one and succeed? (and I mean the odor go away, not just I bought an expensive anode/bleachinjector/carbon filter and it's a little better)

The only way we've been able to get rid of the stink at a friend's
cottage is to bleach and then use lots of water. Stink is in both hot
and cold if the water system is left to sit. Running water every day
after bleaching the water is pretty good. Leave it sit for a month and
the stink is back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Rotten egg odor in hot water is a common concern here.

The most common fix recommended is to change the sacrificial anode for a different material. The rationale for doing so is less than detailed, but some of the sources are official or semiofficial.

The second most common fix recommended is to sterilize the water heater and/or parts of the system with bleach.

The anode providers usually include a caveat that if any of the old rod falls off the problem will remain. The bleach fans say you'll probably have to repeat after a few months.

What I want to know is did anyone try either one and succeed? (and I mean the odor go away, not just I bought an expensive anode/bleachinjector/carbon filter and it's a little better)

We had the problem with two water heaters at work. We replaced the
anodes in both and problem has been gone for well over a year now. The
old anodes were really nasty looking too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
Rotten egg odor in hot water is a common concern here.

The most common fix recommended is to change the sacrificial anode for a
different material. The rationale for doing so is less than detailed,
but some of the sources are official or semiofficial.

The second most common fix recommended is to sterilize the water heater
and/or parts of the system with bleach.

The anode providers usually include a caveat that if any of the old rod
falls off the problem will remain. The bleach fans say you'll probably
have to repeat after a few months.

What I want to know is did anyone try either one and succeed? (and I
mean the odor go away, not just I bought an expensive
anode/bleachinjector/carbon filter and it's a little better)

I have to process the rv heater all the time. I don't leave it on. Normal
treated tap water only has to be set above 120 degrees to keep bacteria
from multiplying. 140 degrees kills them. I do flushing and chlorine
treatment. It's easy to pour chlorine into feed hose to trailer. I dont
anticipate keeping it working, as it's old and rusting around outside
parts. A new tank should have the aluminum rod. Since I have well water,
the water has to be kept more like 130 degrees. Since the tank is small,
there is a tendency to want to keep it hot for reserve.

Greg

rotten egg smell [email protected] Home Repair 11 March 3rd 13 05:33 PM
O.T. rotten Weather sal[_2_] Woodworking 5 June 22nd 12 11:08 PM
rotten threshold J Burns Home Repair 19 April 9th 10 09:08 PM
Rotten Roofing [email protected] UK diy 4 February 15th 07 01:44 PM
Rotten Egg, Tried Everything, What Next? [email protected] Home Repair 4 August 9th 05 01:04 AM