Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Can Blue Ray disks be played on a DVD player

On 04/01/2013 11:23 PM, wrote:
This is off topic, but I'm not sure wherre else to ask!

Can Blue Ray disks be played on a standard DVD player?

Play it fast. That only works today.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is off topic, but I'm not sure wherre else to ask!

Can Blue Ray disks be played on a standard DVD player?

I've never owned a blue ray disk, or blue ray player, but if I was to
get a Blue Ray disk, will it play on a player made for regular DVDs?
I really dont have a need for blue ray, since my tv is just a plain old
CRT set, and as far as I know, Blye Ray only applies to HDTV sets.
Besides that, DVD is plenty fine for me.

And while I'm asking this, does this work in reverse, meaning does a
Blue Ray player also play regular DVDs?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to generic , passerby wrote:
generic wrote:

This is off topic, but I'm not sure wherre else to ask!
Can Blue Ray disks be played on a standard DVD player?

Perhaps in anticipation of this very question, they usually include a DVD with
a down-sampled version of the same movie in the box with a Bluray disk. It is
probably cheaper for the studios to just give you another disk for free than
to tie up their customer service lines trying to explain why Bluray would not
work in a DVD player. But the short answer is no. Bluray won't play in a DVD
player. Other than the size of the disk, everything else is different, even
the color of the laser that reads it.

And while I'm asking this, does this work in reverse, meaning does a
Blue Ray player also play regular DVDs?

That usually works just fine.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-742861-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 23:30:42 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

A Blue Ray player should play a regular DVD but a DVD player will not
play a Blue Ray disk. o_O

TDD

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Home+Guy+Fail
Posted to alt.home.repair

generic wrote:

This is off topic, but I'm not sure wherre else to ask!
Can Blue Ray disks be played on a standard DVD player?

Perhaps in anticipation of this very question, they usually include a DVD with
a down-sampled version of the same movie in the box with a Bluray disk. It is
probably cheaper for the studios to just give you another disk for free than
to tie up their customer service lines trying to explain why Bluray would not
work in a DVD player. But the short answer is no. Bluray won't play in a DVD
player. Other than the size of the disk, everything else is different, even
the color of the laser that reads it.

And while I'm asking this, does this work in reverse, meaning does a
Blue Ray player also play regular DVDs?

That usually works just fine.

That's what I suspected, but wanted to be sure. I didn't know that the
blue ray movie also have a regular DVD in the case. That would make
sense. I asked this because a movie I am looking for was on ebay cheap,
but is blue ray. I'll have to ask the seller to find out if it has the
regular DVD too, to make sure I can use it.

Thanks for the help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

generic wrote:

I asked this because a movie I am looking for was on ebay cheap,
but is blue ray. I'll have to ask the seller to find out if it has the
regular DVD too, to make sure I can use it.

Now that you've mentioned both eBay and 'cheap' in the same sentence, I have
serious doubts that he does include a free DVD version of the movie. I would
rather look for a seller that simply has the DVD that you need instead of a
Bluray. Check Amazon, too - be sure to check out the "More Buying Choices" on
the right hand side.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-742861-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 4:25*am, wrote:
This is off topic, but I'm not sure wherre else to ask!

Can Blue Ray disks be played on a standard DVD player?

I've never owned a blue ray disk, or blue ray player, but if I was to
get a Blue Ray disk, will it play on a player made for regular DVDs?
I really dont have a need for blue ray, since my tv is just a plain old
CRT set, and as far as I know, Blye Ray only applies to HDTV sets.
Besides that, DVD is plenty fine for me.

And while I'm asking this, does this work in reverse, meaning does a
Blue Ray player also play regular DVDs?

No.
A BR player will however play standard disks..
Posted to alt.home.repair

generic wrote:

I asked this because a movie I am looking for was on ebay cheap,
but is blue ray. I'll have to ask the seller to find out if it has the
regular DVD too, to make sure I can use it.

Now that you've mentioned both eBay and 'cheap' in the same sentence, I have
serious doubts that he does include a free DVD version of the movie. I would
rather look for a seller that simply has the DVD that you need instead of a
Bluray. Check Amazon, too - be sure to check out the "More Buying Choices" on
the right hand side.

And don't buy PAL, like I did. Had to play it on the computer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

generic wrote:

I asked this because a movie I am looking for was on ebay cheap,
but is blue ray. I'll have to ask the seller to find out if it has the
regular DVD too, to make sure I can use it.

Now that you've mentioned both eBay and 'cheap' in the same sentence, I have
serious doubts that he does include a free DVD version of the movie. I would
rather look for a seller that simply has the DVD that you need instead of a
Bluray. Check Amazon, too - be sure to check out the "More Buying Choices" on
the right hand side.

The only reason I even looked at it was because it was cheaper than the
DVD version, which I thought was odd. I know in the stores the blue ray
is about twice the cost of DVD. Personally, I wouldn't pay the store
price. Even on a HDTV, I can barely notice any difference.